Alton Towers Resort Future Discussion

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
JMR

I think mutiny bay may have another ride!

I thought of this crazy, yet awesome ride idea called 'cannon balls'.

Basically...
you sit in the cart which have seats with secure locks (like they have on roller coasters), you are in a ball, the bal gets taken upwards on a lift then at the top, there's loads of pirates, shipwrecks etc. You just float along in your ball then suddenly you hear 'ALRIGHT LADS, FIRE AT WILL!' and you free-fall down this huge drop into water! then you float back through an aquarium to the station.
Adam

I could see some kind of resort expansion cropping up around the 2014 mark. Maybe a potential waterpark addition, as well as a family ride on park... :)
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
JaykeAT

I think it's been (sadly) said that the waterpark won't be getting anything new for quite a while (2015-2018) time but hopefully that could be wrong as the waterpark is in dire need of something new
Adam

Well the current planned new outdoor slides are currently scheduled to be installed for 2014, it all comes down to Merlin and their budgets. But new slides are passed the planning stage, trust me.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
ImURNemesis

2014 needs to be the year aventure land gets a retheme.

Attraction one; They could start off with a junior coaster on beasties site. With SW7 Being a Gerstlauer coaster, they do a two coaster deal and save money on that front and invest more on theming and other costs.

Attraction two; Should be on the ice show tent area. This could be a dark ride, or even a new show. (return of the ice show?) And use it to incorperate Storybook land in some way.

Theming needs to be at a high standered including rides, food stalls, general theming ect. Love it if they want back to the old magical golden age style theming (1990's Alton Towers) Retheme spinball, or remove it and look into the possibity of a new ride replacing it in the future.
Liam B

things like ice skating shows wouldn't work these days! got to be all gadgets and effects kinda dealy now  :roll:
roary01

2014 will be in my view the storybook land/adventure land retheme.

i can see it merging into one area and will hopefully include the return of the ICE SHOW.
people saying ice shows don't work these days i really don't see how you can say this, as has been discussed in the return of the ice show topic...

1. Ice skating is still extremely popular with ice rinks becoming more and more popular especially at xmas, and also with Dancing on Ice (itv)
2. Other theme parks still put on Ice Shows which are popular whether its at Blackpool or theme-parks abroad, they still draw in crowds.
3. Alton can easily accommodate a new ice show, and obviously this would mean the new arena would be upgraded from the previous version and have the most up to date technology and hopefully with Alton behind it put on a fantastic show, which could tie in with the areas re-theme, possibly an IP??

I could see the area still getting a theme from a movie series... for example The swamp/Far Far Away (Shrek)

Squirrel Nutty would be re-themed and refurbished,
Beastie site would be home to a new children's coaster
sonic gets moved and becomes home to theming and new flat ride

the storybook area gets the swap style retheme with theming and anamatronics from the movie.
Entrance to the Ice Tent is reopened and themed as Shrek's home which you walk through into the ice tent which is home to shrek on ice..

Something along these line would work extremely well and with storybook land as little would have to be done to rework this area, and would add more to giving a new fully family/kids area to the park.

Before its said i know the Shrek contract was cancelled however something along the same lines would work well, or even a look at the old shrek contract to see if the changes can be made and an agreement reached..
cool_boy_jon

JordanMRichards wrote: I think mutiny bay may have another ride!

I thought of this crazy, yet awesome ride idea called 'cannon balls'.

Basically...
you sit in the cart which have seats with secure locks (like they have on roller coasters), you are in a ball, the bal gets taken upwards on a lift then at the top, there's loads of pirates, shipwrecks etc. You just float along in your ball then suddenly you hear 'ALRIGHT LADS, FIRE AT WILL!' and you free-fall down this huge drop into water! then you float back through an aquarium to the station.
Mutiny bay is a childrens area, i dont think they'd put a thrill ride there! :)

I agree on the Adventure Land re-theme.  To be honest with you, at the moment, it doesnt really have any themeing at all! I dont think Spinball would be removed, its such an enjoyed ride, give it a few more years! ;)

I reckon a white knuckel flat ride would placed in the dark forest and a well themed kiddy coaster to be placed where the beastie was!  8)
The only thing I like better than roller coasters,Alton Towers, Towers times and Theme Parks is HARRY POTTER, yes, I am a Potterhead and proud of it! :)

roary01

I agree on the Adventure Land re-theme.  To be honest with you, at the moment, it doesnt really have any themeing at all! I dont think Spinball would be removed, its such an enjoyed ride, give it a few more years! ;)
Spinball was never going to be a permanent long term attraction, and was really put in at a time when they were putting rides wherever just to try and increase gate figures (Same with RITA)

the Sonic contract came along and has given the ride a few more years, but it has never been in the right place and really restricts the park doing anything with the adventure/storybook land areas in terms of development.

There has been talk a while back that Spinball will be relocated but this could mean the ride is removed and not seen for a season or so until a place is found, as you say the ride is popular, but at the moment its in the way of development, and although it may be placed elsewhere i don't think it will be relocated straight away once taken down. But be prepared, once the Sonic contract is up the ride will most likely be removed...
seanyboyuk

2014 should be the time for the log flume replacement for sure. Id want something like vahalla but an outdoor version thats heavily tree planted to make it like a proper ride through the woods. Im sure all those tree lovers would support a big plantation to support the ride.
Kenzie2012

Hahaha, SW8 could be an interesting topic to start this early.... The crazy far fetched ideas hat would thrown onto the Forums would make a good read.

Honestly, I doubt that they will scrap a coaster to put in another 1. As much as people think Sonic will go one the Sponsor has ended, it's unlikely to happen. It's a crowd pleaser, it's got a reasonable throughput as long as the weather is okay and it would cost a fair chunk to removed it and either store for a year to replaced somewhere else (that's been mentioned in a topic somewhere) or get rid altogether.
For a park of Altons size, I do always think its lacks coasters as it is without removing 1.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
jackgcse

I actually feel its Gloomy wood that needs a real spruce up, it has been left to rot since 2002/3, and although its not a major area, you can see it has seen much better days!
Although X sector will be the next one that needs work done simply because of SW7 but we will see, also, I would maybe suggest towers street would need a good spring clean, if we are to do this properly!

Although as we all know the to-do list is huge, and Alton have a small budget for it, with Merlin Cutbacks!
jackgcse

If I was to think outside the box, I could see the resort investing in a camping area where the current grass car park is. Outside of the box, yes. Plausible very much so! Although as for attractions or investment within the Theme Park, I could see maybe even a transportation train taking guests around the main areas of the park. As a way of a simply, beneficial attraction that is relatively cheap to buy, maintain and occupy!
Although that's my outside the box thinking!...not totally serious, but try something different for a change! LOL ;)

Hay why not lets go really out there, a sonic themed Waltzer where the Beastie has stood! Why not, cheap and family fun! As long as it does not look like a bog standard funfair ride, everyone it happy! LOL! ;)
Last edited by jackgcse on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
TWITCHYcraigus

I dont think catanga canyon (i think thats how you spell it) needs a revamp i love that area, but i do think it could do with atleast two new rides. Adventure land dos need a bit of a revamp it could also do with a new flat ride. I know alton towers has a height restriction on its rides but what i think would be good in the dark forest area is a free fall tower partly underground so it dosnt go over the height restriction (i hate the roper family) :D :D.
roary01

As has been said there is already a topic based slightly on this and things been discussed there (2014 topic)

the area to be worked on next will be storybook land/adventure land, which hopefully includes the return of the ice show, new childrens coaster around the beastie site, and loads of theming and a flat ride.

Also a refurbished squirrel nutty ride, and with the area hopefully having an IP would give a great theme for a fantastic ice show!
JaykeAT

The one thing about katanga canyon is where would you put to new rides,also on the AT website it states that the flume is in KC,confused me a little bit
AJLlama

I Think the whole stretch from sonic to the farm needs looking at, the theming is minimal for the most part and there's no real character to the area's. The Farm itself is quite nice, albeit somewhat devoid of animals these days...
Also the haunted hollow walk really needs a refit, it's a really good premise and the area is spooky, but the naff plastic models that have eroded/ stopped working need to be replaced. Except the 'orrible cook woman, for some reason i really like her.
MattsDesigns

I don't know. But it takes personality to theme an area properly.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Boz

just merged three topics into the existing far future speculation topic
please can people make sure that a topic doesn't already exist before creating new ones

thanks
Last edited by Boz on Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImURNemesis

hambletwins wrote: things like ice skating shows wouldn't work these days! got to be all gadgets and effects kinda dealy now  :roll:
Why not? Places like Blackpool Pleasure Beach have a successful Iceshow so why can't Alton Towers?

In general, they are very well liked by the general pubic and they are some incredable shows and performances all across the UK. Programs like dancing on ice, as much as I dislike it, has high TV viewings from across the country. Why has got to be in your eyes all about "gadgets and effects"? Old fastioned performances can be as pleasing if not more. Too much high tech would require a lot of maintenance and could very easally out date on the long term.

As what was said in other posts, have some crowd pleasing state of the art effects mixed with a good ice staking show and you've got your self a good attraction.