Alton Towers Resort Future Discussion

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

Yes, spending £40 million in 4 years probably will set Towers back. Totally agree though. SW8 in 2016 definitely and from this post onwards I won't say it anymore:

DF Flat
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)
Dormiens-Dave

Things to note...

Spinballs Sonic sponsorship ends in 2014, they have wanted to re-theme Story-book land for a while now and children's IP's are very hot theme park property at the moment, using an IP would save them money.

2014 will definately be a family investment though.
ATJoseph

No it ends in 2013, im sure it does this is Sonic Spinballs last year with the SEGA deal. im 100% on this.
So next year I heard about it being re-named Sonic-Screwball?? or was that a mistake??
mrbrightside

ATJoseph wrote: No it ends in 2013, im sure it does this is Sonic Spinballs last year with the SEGA deal. im 100% on this.
So next year I heard about it being re-named Sonic-Screwball?? or was that a mistake??
If the SEGA deal ran out this year why would the ride still be called Sonic? It would surely just revert back to Spinball Whizzer?
ImageImage
mathmos

The following is what I would like to see after SW7 to bring the park up to a great standard.

2013 SW7
2014 2 NEW FLATS 1 DF, 1 Haunted House/Runaway Train area, also re theme/rename of Rita to dark forest style.
2015 Log Flume removed, new kids coaster to replace Beastie.
2016 new Atlantis type family water roller coaster ride with brand new theme never done before, on a new section of land away from the old Log Flume site.
2017 new flat to replace the Blade
2018 new mega Woodie on the old Log Flume site that goes into the ground or the valley Woodie coaster.
2019 no new attractions, repaint restoration year of existing coasters.
2020 new soundproofed enclosed large dark ride in the old coaster corner.

This is all dreaming of course but I can honestly see the budgets being raised for Alton in the next few years after the recent disappointments.

I think the time has really come to put Alton back on the map as the premier park as Thorpe seems to have stole the limelight and taken the big budgets in recent years and it is now more evident than ever, we could be in for some great surprises in the next few years fingers crossed!

Also would like to see more theming/tunnels  added to Thirteen at some point.
Last edited by mathmos on Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid wrote: Yes, spending £40 million in 4 years probably will set Towers back. Totally agree though. SW8 in 2016 definitely and from this post onwards I won't say it anymore:

DF Flat
You have to remember that a chunk of SW7's costs are because of the landscape, tent, toilets etc. It may be more if SW8 is on the Air Car Park. It may be less if Intamin can do a cheaper ride, who's to say it will be a SW? On top of that we would have two filler rides in between.

If the MTDP is beginning to work, 40M won't seem much by 2019. But I don't think it will be. Then again we will probably be out of a depression and the olympics would bring in much more tourism by then.

Over the next few years, blank spaces should be filled, and SW's making new ones. Alton has a hefty chunk of available space left, and it should be filling it next!
Last edited by Stelios7 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
The Psychoaster

Feel a bit ridiculous asking this, but I have no idea what IP stands for?
James

The Psychoaster wrote: Feel a bit ridiculous asking this, but I have no idea what IP stands for?
Intellectual Property

:)
Ritadz

I'm hoping that we'll be seeing a dark ride or two in the coming years, considering the park currently only has 4, and with British weather being as bad as it is, indoor attractions are practically a must for British parks. Although now the tent's gone I can't really think of any decent locations, apart from the Nickelodeon building and ice show tent.

As for having a flat in the DF, I honestly can't see that happening, considering that to me the Ug Swinger site doesn't really look big enough for anything decent, and in all honestly the area is cramped enough as it is. Unless they could obtain planning permission for something to built that is more towards the gardens, but I can't see that getting approved.

A kids coaster on the Beastie site would be nice, and could well be a possibility when the contract with Sega runs out, which I believe is in 2014, so a low investment year. 
Last edited by Ritadz on Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poison Tom 96

James wrote:
The Psychoaster wrote: Feel a bit ridiculous asking this, but I have no idea what IP stands for?
Intellectual Property

Like at the moment we have Ice Age, Sonic and Charlie IP's on park :)
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

Don't worry. Had no idea!

A Beastie replacement on the Adventure Land site would be good and once SEGA's deal runs out, (whatever year it is), Adventure Land and Storybook Land maybe could merge into a new area?
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)
Poison Tom 96

Having the merged area called Adventure land still would be a good idea IMO.

Adventure would entice children aged 4-9/10/11? ish So having a range of rides to fit this category would be advantageous.

I am not completely in the know about kiddie casters, but possibly something from Mack?
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Maybe even keeping the Adventure Land name, give it a decent long kiddies coaster. And a grand theme to bring a sense of adventure, maybe the coaster could surround the area and hopefully Dungheap, so then they could use some more of Spinball's land to expand on the playground to bring it back to what it once was. I wouldn't top a million really, and it wouldn't need much marketing. So it's a no brainer to expand on the family image for 2014.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
Dingerbell

(Sorry if there is already a topic for this, as it has brought many of the topics that have been created together into one. Controversial... possibly :) )

According to this page (http://www.towersalmanac.com/features/index.php?id=69) which states the long term plan from 2009, there is something that interested me.

It states, that between 2010 and 2014, there would be 4 rides of medium to large scale- and 3 of these being Thirteen (which is mentioned as the 2010 coaster development), NST and SW7. Therefore, if I am correct, that must mean a 4th is planned for 2014 (or even 2013). Personally, I believe this will be a flat in the Dark Forest- which many people have previously mentioned.

Also from 2015-2019, the further long-term plan shows future developments of 6 new rides. Again, all these rides are on the medium to large scale, surely a good thing for us? But this map shows the most exciting information: possible coaster locations:

It shows 3 possible coaster locations: Dark Forest (now Thirteen), and also the locations of Coaster Corner and the Air car park. Again, this shows where SW8 is likely to be, or maybe one SW8 and one a smaller coaster. As well as the possibility of Sonic Spinball being replaced/relocated, another space may be freed up. That probably means that there will be 2 coaster, so surely 4 other rides/attractions.

Again, the plan states a movement of the entrance (to Gloomy Wood/FV) which means the entrance now could be a new themed area? In addition to this, several other areas are shown to have a possible re-theme. One of these has already happened- the Flume area, so surely this means others could follow?

Anyway, many of you may have seen these ideas, but I'm giving my own take on them. I don't know if these will happen or not, but (so far) the plans have been very accurate so far. Therefore, I am led to believe that- although AT has had a quiet few years- the future shows big things are going to happen.

I am very excited :D
CoasterCrazyChris

Well let's look at the options:

Air car park
Dark Forest
Coaster corner
Nick building
The Flume site
Dung Heap
Ice Arena
Beastie site

In one of the TT@10 videos it was said how they were working on two new attractions for 2014. Very interesting indeed.

Dormiens-Dave

2014 has already been announced as a family year with 2 new additions (not sure whether that is 2 new rides or something else) It's strongly rumoured to involve retheming an area.
CoasterCrazyChris

Dormiens-Dave wrote: It's strongly rumoured to involve retheming an area.
Ooh, intriguing!

Where did this info come from?

Well we know it won't be Mutiny Bay, Dark Forest, Cloud Cuckoo Land, X-Sector or Forbidden Valley for obvious reasons so what does that leave...

It must be either the farm or Adventure Land.
Dormiens-Dave

It's just the usual whispers that bandy around, we know they planned a retheme for Storybook land area for 2010 so it sounds plausable.

It's a long way off though so we will see :)
Dingerbell

Several areas were highlighted as retheming and regeneration opportunity areas:

Old MacDonald's Farmyard
Park entrance & Towers Street area
The Flume area
The possible New Entrance area
The area behind The Towers
From the website, these are the possible locations. And Chris, it's a rumour- no one knows where it comes from!
Poison Tom 96

Chris, it's a rumour- no one knows where it comes from!
The rumour is based from what Dormiens-Dave mentioned about the plans for Shrek 4D and an area retheme to go with it.
Shrek never happened but the area will once again be a retheme candidate.
Last edited by Poison Tom 96 on Sat May 19, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.