Alton Towers Resort Future Discussion

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

I strongly believe that Storybook Land WILL be the 3D area, the Squirrel ride could house a decent small kids coaster paving the way to merge with Adventure Land with the expiring Adventure Land. I can almost guarantee it.

With Sonic leaving at the end of this year, this could happen, albeit Alton wouldn't want to repaint Spinball twice in two years would they?

I'm sure some sort of Waterpark expansion could happen towards the end of the plan to expand the resort with some attention albeit Mark not saying of any plans.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
haydn!

The park are clearly keen on refreshing the whole Adventure Land and Farm area, if they were happy with it, they would not have considered Shrek.

Though the 2 attractions in 2014, 1 in 2015 and 1 in 2016 is accurate (based on the TTF@10 speeches) I'd take the rest of that plan with a pinch of salt. It was merely intended to display the scale of developments being considered for the 10 years.
Blaze

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: Well let's look at the options:

Air car park
Dark Forest
Coaster corner
Nick building
The Flume site
Dung Heap
Ice Arena
Beastie site

In one of the TT@10 videos it was said how they were working on two new attractions for 2014. Very interesting indeed.

:)
Well, there won't be a coaster in Dark Forest because the one on the MTDP has already been built. ;) The car park won't be used until they've made a new car park to replace it. The other space in FV has become Terry.

It's probably going to be something to do with Storybook Land/Adventure Land in 2014.
CoasterCrazyChris

The old Nickelodeon building is always one that is overlooked, there is more potential there than people might think. I'm not sure if they even use the buildings to the right of it anymore either (where the fabulous toyshop used to be).

They probably just can't be bothered to clean out the junk that is stored inside. The very minimum they could do would be to refurbish the existing play equipment and just remove anything relating to Nickelodeon. Then maybe get a new IP on board.

It wouldn't be too much trouble to relocate the Frog Hopper (heck I'm surprised it has survived this long).

Stelios7

I do believe that the buldings next to the Nick Buildings are also used for storage, so I'm sure getting rid of some junk that isn't Halloween props (which I'm sure will be there) will occur if the Nick building were to be used. I could easily see it happen for 2014 as the other family product, but I'm not sure how the theme would blend in with Ice Age.
Poison Tom 96

An Ice Age themed play area maybe? I am sure 20th Century Fox wouldn't mind
Stelios7

Poison Tom 96 wrote: An Ice Age themed play area maybe? I am sure 20th Century Fox wouldn't mind
Surely this would mean extending the contract for at least another 3 years and looking into the future will Ice Age still be around? I don't think they should go down this route for this risk. I'm sure it would of thrived with Continental Drift if it happened this year though. CCL play area's are great, and I think extending it maybe towards around the Driving School area would be cool. Maybe inside one of the buildings a similar Nick style attraction but with CCL characters flowers and Snorlix, with lots of buttons to do effects, mix it in with a Charlie themed playground and you've got yourself a winner!
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

An attraction in the Nick building area would be a good idea. Either moving the Frog Hopper to a different part of CCL or removing it all together (as it only attracts a crowd 3 minutes long) would free up some construction area. As for IP's, a Mini Charlie ride would only work if the main ride stayed and an Ice Age IP would oly be built if Ice Age 5 is announced or the franchise continues n another way.

I'd rather see Adventure and Storybook land be merged though. Keep Spinball but Retheme it to something different like maybe a family coaster.
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)
James

Here's what I think we could expect in 2014, at least this is what I hope is being considered on the cards:
- Adventure Land and Storybook Land merged and re-themed into one area, possibly an extension of the Storybook Land theme.
- Beastie replacement (product one)
- Ice tent replacement, either new show or new kids interactive themed experience (product two - possibly designed similarly to how Nick Outta Control was)

I somehow cannot see CCL being touched for a good few more years, I would guess for the time being Ice Age is the attraction that will keep the area active for a few more years.
CoasterCrazyChris

I think the area where the Ice Tent stands and where the Beastie once stood would be large enough for a transit style dark ride. The entrance could be through the old ice show shop.

They could then get ride of the Dung Heap and build a children's rollercoaster there.

If anything I think the farm will be merged with Storybook Land because I can't see Spinball going anywhere or being rethemed because it is just too popular, if anything they will renew their contract with Sega. It would then be a stand alone ride much in the same way The Flume is.

Stelios7

Benjy Alton Towers Kid wrote: An attraction in the Nick building area would be a good idea. Either moving the Frog Hopper to a different part of CCL or removing it all together (as it only attracts a crowd 3 minutes long) would free up some construction area. As for IP's, a Mini Charlie ride would only work if the main ride stayed and an Ice Age IP would oly be built if Ice Age 5 is announced or the franchise continues n another way.

I'd rather see Adventure and Storybook land be merged though. Keep Spinball but Retheme it to something different like maybe a family coaster.
Move the Frog Hopper to where the hamster ball game is now. It's not needed since we have one already in Adventure Land and could easily fit somewhere else to steal money, heck there may be even space for it at the Dungheap albeit the many visitors at CCL would convince them to put more games there. But moving the Frog Hopper can attract more attention for new attractions, the Toy Shop could be expanded with themes of the new rides.

Simples.

Also James I do think your spot on their anyway. CCL will get attention when Ice Age expires.
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: I can't see Spinball going anywhere or being rethemed because it is just too popular, if anything they will renew their contract with Sega. It would then be a stand alone ride much in the same way The Flume is.
Yeah. Only problem with the Flume is many people think a standalone great standalone ride without crazy theming inbetween two areas means instant removal. I don't know about SEGA renewing their contract that will be revealed if they do late this year probs. Spinball should stay though. It has a great track and remove the spinning element, it could be an English Big Thunder. ;)

sku11dude123

I can see adventure land and storybook land being re-themed into 1 big area. Personally i would Renew the contract with SEGA. and re-theme both storybook land and adventure land to a Sonic the hedgehog IP area. this will mean new sonic related rides.

For CCL i can see the area being re done in 2016 with the removal of Ice age 4D and the expiration of Alton's contract with the Dahl family which will mean Goodbye CATCF.

Personally i would love to see a Stormrunner coaster being built in adventure land (Probably SW9) and will be called Sonic the hedgehog: Turbo boost. It will be like kingda ka but with a sonic theme in it.

Dingerbell

sku11dude123 wrote: It will be like kingda ka but with a sonic theme in it.
Considering that Stealth at Thorpe is similar and the height restrictions Alton has, this will definitely not happen. Also there is not enough space for an additional coaster in AL- except for a kiddie coaster to replace Beastie.
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

Kingda Ka? I doubt with noise and height restrictions Towers will get a 400 foot mega coaster!

NastyPasty

sku11dude123 wrote:
Personally i would love to see a Stormrunner coaster being built in adventure land (Probably SW9) and will be called Sonic the hedgehog: Turbo boost. It will be like kingda ka but with a sonic theme in it.

:x

That sounds like a terrible, terrible idea for a number of reasons;

1). Planning would NEVER allow it.

2). These rides are too intense to be enjoyable.

3). Sonic is a bad choice for a theme of a major attraction. It is generally not that popular nowadays and certainly won't be in years to come.

Sorry to rip your idea to pieces but it's wrong for so many more reasons than I've listed, they're just the primary ones.  ;)
Keep on whistlin', folks.

sku11dude123

I think it would be WAY to expensive for the towers to built actually :lol:

And just imagine if the car got stuck in mid air. The staff at Alton will have to actually try to do EFFORT
joshc807

sku11dude123 wrote: I think it would be WAY to expensive for the towers to built actually :lol:

And just imagine if the car got stuck in mid air. The staff at Alton will have to actually try to do EFFORT
Try to do effort? I think you'll find Alton Towers have the best Theme Park staff in the U.K. When situations occur they are dealt with immediately and very well, believe me, they know effort.  :roll:
Sazzle

Seeing as that area of the park is under the tightest of restrictions regarding noise, there's absolutely no chance of anything louder than Spinball :(.

Any whispers of Huss Giant thrill rides and I would actually drop to my knees in praise! I know there's no chance, but I'd love it :D.

Towers are well overdue a kiddies coaster - Mack Youngstar in the place of Beastie and Spinball, plllleeeeeeeaaassse!!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Stelios7

sku11dude123 wrote: I can see adventure land and storybook land being re-themed into 1 big area. Personally i would Renew the contract with SEGA. and re-theme both storybook land and adventure land to a Sonic the hedgehog IP area. this will mean new sonic related rides.

For CCL i can see the area being re done in 2016 with the removal of Ice age 4D and the expiration of Alton's contract with the Dahl family which will mean Goodbye CATCF.

Just because IP's expire doesn't mean that the area will to. CCL does have a standalone theme from these IP's, even if they were built around the area. CCL has Snorlix, flowers and a magical make believe land which is a versatile and that is why the IP's work there. I'm sure Alton can see this, IP's going in a pre-themed land would be no decent reason to overhaul a complete retheme.

Also I don't think we would get a IP for a SW. A vital part of a Secret Weapon is it's memroble marketing, can you remember Spinball Whizzer and Rita's marketing and brand if you were not a enthusiast? Probably not. And even if we were to get another Sonic coaster, (which we won't) Spinball's contract would have to be extended and seeing that the two new family products heavily pointing to Adventure and Storybook Land. Sonic is going. Also Alton Towers isn't a gaming theme park, SEGA have their own theme park for their own character. Using Sonic is a simple brand that is easy to pull in crowds, not to revolve around a whole area in a mainly original theme park. As much I would love to see this happen, it won't. Also turbo boost isn't really mentioned in Sonic, make a better reference before speculating it's possibility!