Alton Towers Resort Future Discussion

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
rollercoastermaniac

long ideas
2013: Smiler opened.
2014 Log flume replaced by a newer better flume called the water charge.( lame name I know)
2015 Air's lift hill is now indoors with air cannons and intense sound effects. Duel refurbished and Air tunnel now painted. Oblivion's wheels replaced
2016 Part of Nemesis's loop falls off killing 20 people 16 people sent to hospital. Nemesis immediately shuts down. Sw8 construction started where nemesis was.
2017 Sw8 opened. A b and m floor less named valley flyer. Rita starts suffering extreme downtime along with sonic spinball. Submission ported to six flags magic mountain in exchange for the scrambler.
2018 th13teen now ignored after a error in the crypt left people stranded for 6 hours. rita removed so there is space for a new launched coaster. A new flat ride in the dark forest opens. The marmaliser is shut down after some wires come lose hitting people in the face. The run away minectrain removed.
2019 The rides in Alton towers all break down and merlin becomes bankrupt.  :( All parks owned by merlin bite the dust
TheAdvocate123

Just wondering if you guys have any specific idea you want theming to be like in the near future  :D
Fish777

Rita, I don't know what, but it needs theming of some sort.
Jared

I'd like Air to have some water features.
PhoenixStudios

Jared wrote: I'd like Air to have some water features.
There is definitely room for experimentation with that and I would welcome that idea with open arms :D
*Credit to Lewis97 for the awesome Signature!
DeanGaryCox

There's lots of things that could be done with air and it's taken them over 10 years to add some lighting (albeit the wrong colour) to the air tunnel, which has so much potential to have lights all around, rather than just concrete (although it's difficult to put anything on the floor, as people will spit, and dispose of their chewing gum there so would just look nasty, at least you can't tell with the concrete very much.) I think the tunnel could do with the Air Blue coloured neon lights along the side walls in the tunnel, as well as some air cannons, which to be perfectly honest wouldn't even cost that much and would give such a better ride experience. Air's theme is supposed to be an Oasis at the other side of Forbidden Valley (the good and the bad), but the budget for themeing got cut, and we were left with a few plants, and a small tunnel half way round with a mud bog underneath - Air needs more plants, and a water feature or two added if the rides were given a bit of an extra budget (doesn't necessarily even need to be that much).

In my opinion, Air & Nemesis are the rides needing the most attention with it being Nemesis' 20th birthday next year. It's inevitable that Rita will stay as it is and nothing will be done to it as it's probably the most likely rollercoaster to leave the park first. Oblivion & TH13TEEN are fine as they are as 13's pretty new and Oblivion has just been repainted. The Smiler is new and due to the issues will most likely have quite a lot of work done over this closed season, and I can only be fearful that the budget for anything to be done for Nemesis for it's birthday will be scrapped and be spent on The Smiler :/

Rather than getting our hopes up, it's Merlin, nothing will be changed one existing rides unless it really is at the end of it's life. Air will only get a retheme or anything done to it if a new ride/rollercoaster/area is built in the Air carpark.
Last edited by DeanGaryCox on Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image 2014
TheAdvocate123

You guys are really helping! I really appreciate it! Like your ideas especially the water features and neon lights on air. Personally I don't think Rita needs extra theming, the dark forest has added a new backstory to it, I believe it is an escape cart to escape the dark forest? And the vines are surrounding it...but yeah I really appreciate it, keep the responses coming!  :lol:
Georgie

rollercoastermaniac wrote: 2016 Part of Nemesis's loop falls off killing 20 people 16 people sent to hospital. Nemesis immediately shuts down. Sw8 construction started where nemesis was.
2019 The rides in Alton towers all break down and merlin becomes bankrupt.  :( All parks owned by merlin bite the dust
These are some... interesting ideas you have there.
I'm hoping the Flume will close soon, it's a great ride but has served its purpose and just seems out of place now. Maybe replace it with a Mack Water Coaster themed to Mutiny Bay for SW8 or even a side project. As for other years, I'd love to see them do something with the valley, even if it isn't a woodie, just because of how much potential it has as a site. It'd also be nice to see them use the Gardens in some shape or form, maybe a cafe, perhaps a hedge maze and secret garden? If it worked for Legoland, it would certainly work here.
Last edited by Georgie on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
rollercoastermaniac

GThing64 wrote:
rollercoastermaniac wrote: 2016 Part of Nemesis's loop falls off killing 20 people 16 people sent to hospital. Nemesis immediately shuts down. Sw8 construction started where nemesis was.
These are some... interesting ideas you have there.
I'm hoping the Flume will close soon, it's a great ride but has served its purpose and just seems out of place now. Maybe replace it with a Mack Water Coaster themed to Mutiny Bay for SW8 or even a side project. As for other years, I'd love to see them do something with the valley, even if it isn't a woodie, just because of how much potential it has as a site. It'd also be nice to see them use the Gardens in some shape or form, maybe a cafe, perhaps a hedge maze and secret garden? If it worked for Legoland, it would certainly work here.

Lol very interesting. Well Nemesis had to have an accident one day  :)
Last edited by rollercoastermaniac on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lf2001

2014 - CBeebies Land will open.
2015 - The Flume to be replaced by a pirated-themed water ride, and a new flat ride in the Dark Forest.
2016 - Construction begins on SW8, no rides open this year.
2017 - SW8 opens.
Burniel

lf2001 wrote: 2014 - CBeebies Land will open.
2015 - The Flume to be replaced by a pirated-themed water ride, and a new flat ride in the Dark Forest.
2016 - Construction begins on SW8, no rides open this year.
2017 - SW8 opens.
I'd like that, but I think this is more likely:
2014 - CBeebies land
2015 - Construction on SW8 begins
2016 - SW8 opens
2017 - A fairly quiet year, perhaps a new flat, with flume replacement construction
2018 - Flume replacement opens
2019 - Construction begins on SW9
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
rhino18

Nick Varney has already said that SW9 should open in 2019, last addition of the medium-investment plan (2015-2019).
Burniel

Perhaps they could make the flume replacement a long project and make that SW9?
rhino18

I'm always hoping that the inevitable flume replacement is an Intamin AquaTrax. Because, from what I've heard about them (or the one), they're very good.....
Burniel

updated hopes:

2014 - CBeebies land
2015 - Construction on SW8 begins
2016 - SW8 opens
2017 - a couple of flats or an area re-theme
2018 - Construction on SW9
2019 - SW9 opens
RedStar98

I'd really like to see a re-theme of Adventure Land, since the only main attraction is Sonic Spinball. I can imagine removing that ride in favour of an indoor spinning coaster (like Crush's Coaster at Disneyland Paris) which combines the best elements of Spinball with new visual effects and technology- providing both a new thrilling ride experience, but also a family attraction. I can also see maybe a flat ride like Thorpe Park's Quantum or even moving Enterprise or Submission from X Sector, as well as a small children's coaster, along with a small restaurant or café and a shop or sweets/hot drink/ice cream stall. I imagine a space adventure/space travel theme could work well, as I don't think there is a theme similar to that in the rest of the park. Just my opinion.
Last edited by RedStar98 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cookiee_munster

Adventure Land is the small kind of size to actually have an entire indoor land. Similar to Mermaid Lagoon at Tokyo DisneySea. I'd love to see something like that. :)
Last edited by cookiee_munster on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheAdvocate123

I would like to see more work with BBC, maybe a Doctor Who IP? Although it may not be an ideal IP for coasters, the odd flat ride or 4D cinema based on the TARDIS may work? It may not be great for huge rides but believe me, tons of people will want to come to the Towers and see the worlds first Doctor Who themed area.
Last edited by TheAdvocate123 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamSimkin

I would love a Doctor Who theme! Get rid of Adventure Land. You could call Sonic Spinball 'Time Vortex' and retheme the cars like the TARDIS console and you could even extend it into Storybook land.
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
Themeparksandy1981

I think this what will happen

2015 Park tidy up
2016 Start of SW8 being built, maybe a flat ride in CBeebies area
2017 SW8 opens
2018 Charlie leaves the park and 4D cinema showing a new film.
2019 New ride to replace Charlie

I can't see SW8 coming in 2016 as Thorpe Park are getting their new coaster that year.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.