Alton Towers Resort Future Discussion

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
roary01

hi,
not posted in a while but was reading up about the development of the Churnet Valley and just came across this paragraph about alton towers...
2016 & 2019 seem to be poignant years and more accommodation...

"Alton Towers
Two new rides are planned for Alton Towers, one opening in 2016 and one in 2019. However, the long term objective of Alton Towers Resort is to develop the site as a year round resort and in particular increase the number of visitors staying for more than one day. As such the following developments are planned:
 A 150 bed hotel; and  150 holiday lodges."

If you want to read more about this i found it from...
http://www.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/sites ... ndices.pdf
Or read about all the developments which is quite interesting...
http://www.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/sm/co ... masterplan
TheAdvocate123

Let's go back before sub terra and the smiler.....the last big investment was th13teen which was 3 years before sub terra and the smiler. So to be honest, after the farmyard refurbishment I think that they will wait until SW8 which I think will be either a wing coaster or a coaster with underwater tunnel sections. Just my thoughts... :shock:
daveclarkedaveclarke

TheAdvocate123 wrote: Let's go back before sub terra and the smiler.....the last big investment was th13teen which was 3 years before sub terra and the smiler. So to be honest, after the farmyard refurbishment I think that they will wait until SW8 which I think will be either a wing coaster or a coaster with underwater tunnel sections. Just my thoughts... :shock:
Personally i think without adding some flats in the near future there will be nearing more coasters than decent flats if the development plan goes as it is.
bensaund

It is all about supply and demand, if they don't see an increase in guests after installing a major coaster, this may well make them look at other things to increase guests. For example it is cheaper to put in a flat ride and do a re-theme of an area or get the latest IP in which will attract people.

I can see at least two more coasters arriving in the park over the next 6-7 years, I am hoping 1 will be the cross valley and the other on car park G, apart from that I only think they will build additional hotels and maybe the odd flat ride.

If anything Merlin is always trying to increase their guests spend in the parks by giving them all accommodation, up-selling wherever possible and selling their other attractions. For them what is the point of having two guests collectivity spend £100 for the day, when they can stay in the hotel, eat at the park and spend £300-400?

My personal view is I would like Merlin to increase their investments in the parks and have high investment years for the next 10 years, but we all know that is not going to happen
If you go down to the woods today
TheAdvocate123

Honestly if they're going to do a new area, do something different! Not pirates, it's too cliche and there is already a pirate area not cowboys, not aliens, not branded, something completely new, I was thinking an area with a few flat rides
ADM182

Having stayed at the Hotels on site for the last 6 years running for a weekday break I think they really have to increase the offerings in that area, sure, new rides are allways needed but some decent afternoon/evening entertainment is needed for hotel guests.  As it is its great for kids but for adults its very much a resturant and a bar!  As much as I think centre parcs is a rip off they do have the central complex for evening entertainment and with a similar venue alton towers would have the ability to off something all year round for families and adults.

I'd love to see something done with the gloomy wood area, its such a waste of space at the moment with just Duel which is getting very tired and tatty.  Maybe a new flat or two would help but something better should be done. (dont know if all those trees are protected!
Jamie

I would love to see a dark ride of some sort.  Ideally something like Valhalla (as it's my favourite ride) but a dark rollercoaster could also be really good if done well.
"ENTER VALHALLA!"
SamTP

So as we know, in 2013 the x-sector has been spruced up by the smiler! In 2014, the CBeebies land is replacing the farm yard which is next to the x-sector! I reckon that in 2015, adventure land will be re-themed because it is next to the x-sector so lots of people will be going through or looking at the are! They also only have 2 attractions so is fairly small. This may be part of a plan to clean up that area of the park???
Themeparksandy1981

Towers street really needs upgrading. It be 30 years old soon and it ain't changed much since. I mean the outside of the buildings.
bensaund

The age of Towers Street really has nothing to do with it. The main problem is that not all of Towers Street is used as many of the retail units have closed and been converted into offices. Is Towers Family Restaurant still open?

One of the biggest impact on Towers street will be if the new entrance does go ahead as you will see a huge reduction in numbers passing through it.

Towers Street could possibly be redeveloped into a ride, dark ride, coaster, entertainment complex.

If you add up all the land on Towers Street, then include the plaza and monorail station, there is a fair bit of land there for a future development.

My personal opinion is Towers Street should stay as is, but they need to look at brining more people to the area as people only visit Towers Street to enter/leave the park, box office, Guest Services and Towers Trading. But mostly during the day the area is very quiet. If they added maybe a Nandos or something which would make  large number of guests want to come back to Towers Street during the day, they there would be more guests around the area.
cookiee_munster

Regarding Towers Street. i honestly hope they don't go with the second entrance/exit idea. its a bit ridiculous. the area basically uses the textbook theme park entrance a'la Disney's Main Street style. it should be a total retail experience for guests arriving and especially when they leave. its the last area of the park where they can squeeze the last few £££'s out of us.
the thing they need to work on is merchandise. offer anything and everything. Disney does have a much much larger brand hence more shops, but i agree, they could do with  using a few more of the buildings in that area for retail opportunities.
TheAdvocate123

Hey,
I Would like to see Alton Towers adding family attractions in very close years to come, but from 2016 onwards add few thrilling rides. A flat ride in the Dark Forest would be perfect, I can sort of imagine a top scan ride like Samurai at Thorpe Park to be where Ug Swinger was but with a theme on how the Dark Forest's secret is killing everything. I would also like to see SW8 in the car park behind Air, I would love it to be either a woodie or a B&M Floorless coaster. Family areas such as Cbeebies land which was announced earlier on this month, another family flat ride like a small Disk-O or Something? Please reply with your questions or reactions or just tell me if there are any problems with my predictions  :lol:
Last edited by TheAdvocate123 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bensaund

Not a bad suggestion, but these rides are not reall Alton Towers, gone are the day when they get off the shelf coasters, Alton would want to get something a little more imaginative than a Top Scan or Disk O IMO.
roary01

*VERY LONG POST WARNING*
okay so ive been reading up on the Churnet Valley Masterplan, and Alton Towers is a BIG part of this and has a lot of plans for the future. It gives a very good idea of how the resort could be changing/expanding over the next years. Heres the zones for development, but if you want to have a read of the rest it starts about page 109/110... http://www.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/sites ... 0cover.pdf

Zone 1 - Redevelopment Area - Towers Street
Area of redevelopment/ retheming for leisure uses which must be sensitive to the heritage of the site. Need to consider impact on trees within the area.
Zone 2 - Redevelopment/ New Rides - South western area
Potential for redevelopment in this area which is sensitive to distance views, tree canopy, Bunbury Hill Fort and the Flag Tower. Leisure uses including new rides are potentially suitable within this area. Height restrictions should be considered due to this being the high point within the Resort. Any future development should be screened from long distance views and enhance the setting of the Flag Tower.
Zone 3 - Redevelopment Area
Potential redevelopment area for leisure use. Consideration should be had for the impact on trees within the area.
Zone 4 - Potential New Entrance
Potential new entrance to the park. Consideration needs to be had for the impact of any new entrance on visitor circulation and in particular impact on the historic gardens and trees.
Zone 5 - Relocation of Spinball Whizzer
Removal of Spinball Whizzer from this area. Consideration needs to be given to the impact on trees.
Zone 6 - Improved car parking
Area for improved car parking - advanced structural car parking and new planting. Consideration should be given to how surface run-off is managed. Sustainable Drainage Systems (SuDS) should be incorporated in any improved parking area.
Zone 7 - Entertainment Area
Potential new entertainment area and enhanced link from the hotel to the theme park.
Zone 8 - Area for holiday lodge development and/ or new ride
Area for holiday lodge development and/ or new ride. Consideration should be had for ensuring development does not go above the tree canopy. It must be ensured that development has no adverse impact on the woodland and the screening it provides. Development should sit clear of the woodland edge.
Zone 9 - The Gardens
Protection and enhancement of existing gardens. Consideration should be given to separate access to the gardens or ticketing options to allow for separate admissions. When considering visitor circulation within this area consideration should be had for the impact on the historic gardens.
Zone 10 - New Development Area
Maximise use within this zone before development within Zone 11 is considered. There is potential in this area for the following:
Improved parking and advanced structural planting; and
Hotel and lodge developments
In addition, within this zone is a derelict farm (Nicklin Farm) which may be suitable for re-use as an entertainment area however development must be sensitive to the heritage of the site. Consideration should be had for tree coverage and particularly the screening that trees offer along the southern and eastern edge of this zone. Trees on the northern edge provide an important break in views from the north. Consideration should be had for the heritage asset of the boundary ditch, bank and wall.
Zone 11 - Area of Sensitivity/ Limited Development Potential
Significant areas currently used for overflow car parking. Limited potential for development. Any potential future development must be sensitive to the historic parkland and biodiversity of the area. This is a visually open area to the north whereas the southern boundary offers a natural break in development.
Outside of these Zones:
Towers - continued restoration of the Towers and to actively look for new appropriate uses including visitor interpretation and display of the Alton Towers archive. Other uses might include tourist accommodation, administrative offices and retail use.
Station Lodge - refurbishment of the Station Lodge for active use (offices or residential use if no suitable alternative employment use can be found) will be encouraged.
Mill House - Currently in use but may be suitable for future re-use for tourist accommodation, craft workshops, cycle hire or other tourist uses.

Make of it what you will, but the rest makes for good reading too, so whats everyones thoughts?
deeve

Thank god they listened to me and have opted to sort out the farm area. Adventure land and storybook land i hope is next. I think 2017 will be next time a big coaster arrives. Hybrid type coaster may be next on the horizon for alton towers. Shame we couldnt get a ride to interact with the entrance like gatekeeper at Cedar point. The entrance being moved to forbidden valley would allow a ride to interact with the entrance.
Wedjie

TheAdvocate123 wrote: Let's go back before sub terra and the smiler.....the last big investment was th13teen which was 3 years before sub terra and the smiler. So to be honest, after the farmyard refurbishment I think that they will wait until SW8 which I think will be either a wing coaster or a coaster with underwater tunnel sections. Just my thoughts... :shock:
I can't see you getting underwater tunnels in the UK - because the water is always a disgusting colour!
It's not like European parks where they filter and and chemicals to the water to keep it clear.
Dom

In my opinion over the next few years I would like to see the following:

2015- No new ride or attraction. Paint jobs all round. General maintenance, effects fixed and a general tidy up. Also the Flume closed all season for being taken down.

2016- New family ride or attraction in place of the Flume. Preferably a family water coaster or a brand new log flume

2017- Charlie re-theme to something newer. Also a new thrill ride added to Dark Forest.

2018- New major attraction added to either Katanga Canyon or Gloomy Wood.

2019- No new ride or attractions. General maintenance etc. Also Towers Street under goes a face lift and making the main shop there bigger.
Last edited by Dom on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deeve

Rita is ok but it's not quite Alton Towers, it's more Drayton Manor. I think there is scope for a world beater there. Dark Forest needs more there. Maybe it could be best mentioned in św 8 thread. The canyon needs to be done up at some stage Soon. I would love to see a show type ride with some adventure story. Adventure land and Storybook Land next in line for me.
Last edited by deeve on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henry.buxton.44

I think Alton Towers should create rides between maybe 2015-2017 and make a new roller in 2018. I have no clue what ideas Alton Towers have for the next roller, as John Wardley will no longer be designing and no one can predict what's happening!!! :D
Last edited by henry.buxton.44 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thanks to lewis97 for the signature
Toonsville

My prediction about Cloud Cuckoo Land is that they should retheme it into the themed area which has something to do with cartoons.