Alton Towers Resort Future Discussion

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Chris W

Well the MTDP was said to be sent to the council around now, as mentioned during the SW6 meeting.

New accommodation is likely to be involved in the MTDP in some way.

It will be many years away but an 'outline' of the hotel would make sense, just to give the council an idea about what's in the pipeline.
PeteB

Did Alton say they would be announcing their 10 year plan soon?
starbugger1303

I would also think log cabins would be nice ; just like Disneyland Paris and Flamingo Land.

If the log cabins were confirmed they should be cheaper than both hotels ; some rooms are £600 a night!

The cabins would be much nicer and cosier than hotel rooms
pixie-ro

I have nothing against the idea of log cabins, if done properly they could really add to the park. I do, however, wish that the hotels could offer more for couples or groups of adults, not just families. My husband and I love theme parks and we decided to stay in the hotel for my 30th birthday. It was annoying that there was no double room option, for a cheaper cost. I appreciate that AT want to provide for families, but they need to remember that some people visit the resort for the big rides, and don't have any children (therefore more disposable income in some cases, if they are concerned about profit). Also, it would have been nice to have been able to have a drink on the evening without children (whose parents seemed to be nowhere to be seen) running around and screaming. An over 18s only area whould have been appreciated, maybe after a certain time at night. That said, however, it didn't put us off too much and we have booked to stay again over the Christmas season, so I shouldn't really complain...!
Rollercoaster5000

Just looked at Flamingo land's log cabins, they look really nice. So I think that Alton could do with some of those.
fitchy

I think future accomodation at alton towers would be very nice with the sort of centre parcs approch self catering cabins as mentioned built into wooded areas maybe introduce a small shoping area for food e.c.t. also introduce a more varied activity range like some sports courts and alternative activities to do at the resort as evenings can be a bore at present.
Rollercoaster5000

Just looked at Centre Parcs cabins, they look really nice, think they would be great addition to Alton Towers.
HarveyButterfield

How about a horror-themed hotel? It would go beautifully with the Dark Forest, Towers AND Forbidden Valley.
Rita is my mum!
Blaze

Not exactly family friendly, and the point of having the hotels themed is so they have a different theme from any areas of the park.
aboveandbeyond

I had begun to think about the years following SW7 and where we can expect new developments at Alton Towers.

I think one area which will definately see development in the next few years is Adventureland. Id go as far as saying Spinball and all other attractions would be removed. In its place Id like to see a new water attraction. Something along the lines of Stormforce 10 at DMP. (This would in turn replace the Flume )

In the same area is a family coaster which interacts with the water ride. The area is heavily themed and has shops and restaurants contained within.

This then creates two issues, what to do with Spinball? Personally id like to see it retained somewhere. Perhaps enclosed as a genuine dark ride, themed also.

Also the land previously occupied by the Flume is then primed for development. A site for a new B and M Monster perhaps
Last edited by aboveandbeyond on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
JaykeAT

im thinking a b&m wingerider in air carpark soon,but i think the flume area will either will be changed to a pirae theame and givien a bit of a refurb in general,or changed to something else. I would also like to see other little devolpments,a flat in the dark forest would be nice,also enterprise and submission to be closed and two new flats there as there just weird and painfull
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

I'd love to see Adventure Land re themed, it's such a useless area. Sonic Spinball might be replaced as the SEGA partnership ends next year but personally I'd like it to stay.

Evidence from a poll I recently set up (which you can still comment on!) would suggest that most Towers fan would like to see a 4D experience like X2 but to keep up with Thorpe, Towers will probably install a winged coaster.

As for the Flume, it just needs a major rethink and retheme (not to pirates though!!!) because if not, Towers aren't going to have any decent water rides.
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)
JaykeAT

Benjy Alton Towers Kid wrote: I'd love to see Adventure Land re themed, it's such a useless area. Sonic Spinball might be replaced as the SEGA partnership ends next year but personally I'd like it to stay.

Evidence from a poll I recently set up (which you can still comment on!) would suggest that most Towers fan would like to see a 4D experience like X2 but to keep up with Thorpe, Towers will probably install a winged coaster.

As for the Flume, it just needs a major rethink and retheme (not to pirates though!!!) because if not, Towers aren't going to have any decent water rides.
1.i have to agree about adventure land,so much poetential lost,its just a mix and match place

2.why no pirate flume,its in mutiny bay
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

I know and it's a very strong argument but there are soooo many pirate flumes in the world (example Pirate Falls at  that the Flume wouldn't be very unique.

JaykeAT

i know there are alot but alton is the biggest family resort in britain and kids LOVEEEE pirate (ive only just grown out of them) and if a parent says to a kid "hey *kids name* you wanna go to alton towers and look for treasure" the kids probably gonna say yes. Obviously my idea for the theame would be looking for treasure
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Over the next 3 years or so. We could see a DF flat, or something in the Ice Tent as a cheap filler attraction for 2014. If this happens, I would loosely build a rough theme for Adventure Land. SEGA with no indication of staying could leave Spinball being relocated, as I don't see it going and I'm sure Alton would realise that they need to find a theme for it somewhere. And then a new rollercoaster for 2016.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

Nothing will happen with the ice tent.  It has just been converted for use as storage and all stuff from the black hole tent moved into it.  If they converted that there would be nowhere left to store all the stuff!
Dormiens-Dave

12344321 wrote: Nothing will happen with the ice tent.  It has just been converted for use as storage and all stuff from the black hole tent moved into it.  If they converted that there would be nowhere left to store all the stuff!
I wouldn't bet on that.

There is always potential for more storage, 20 shipping containers in the service areas would do and wouldn't require planning permission.
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

Stelios7 wrote: Over the next 3 years or so. We could see a DF flat, or something in the Ice Tent as a cheap filler attraction for 2014. If this happens, I would loosely build a rough theme for Adventure Land. SEGA with no indication of staying could leave Spinball being relocated, as I don't see it going and I'm sure Alton would realise that they need to find a theme for it somewhere. And then a new rollercoaster for 2016.
Totally agree with most points. Timeline time:

2013: SW7
2014: Re locate Spinball once SEGA deal terminates, new DF flat and maybe a small filler attraction. (Busy year!)
2015: Another filler attraction or a new show maybe? And construction on a new coaster.
2016: Completion and Opening of the new coaster, hopefully a unique or world-first thrill!!!

As for the Ice Tent, never seen it in my life! Only heard of it when I joined so I really can't comment. However have heard it's used for storage before.

THANK GOD FOR SHIPPING CONTAINERS!!!! :) :D

RyanY

I really don't think that they would have a busy year in 2014 after a £20 million investment, they wools still want to milk it. And why would they locate spinball? And we're to? It's a popular ride whether we like it or not and gets some of the biggest queues on park. (even though that might be because of they awful throughputs.

In 2014 I would expect a family flat ride after two 'trill' rides from 2012 and 2013. But I wouldn't be supprised if if 2014 saw no new rides.

In 2015, who knows and I doubt AT have thought about it yet. Maybe a trill flat ride?

2016, SW8, probably a B&M 4d ride altought I have no real idea.