Alton Towers Resort Future Discussion

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Themeparksandy1981

They should really get it removed now as they still got a week to the main season starts. I doubt it would take long to remove the ride and just block off the entrance and exit areas. How much do you think it would cost to fill in the rest of the area where Thunder looper was once as that would be a big area if they did make it all flat.
stealthsmiler

it could just be a new flat ride though, all new developments are amazing and exciting when theme parks are marketing them, even if they turn out not to be. I would love a one arm S&S Screamin Swing, similar to the Blade but so much more fun.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

So two applications are Awaiting Validation on the Staffordshire Moorlands District Council site.
  • "Extension to the existing 'Air Shop' and the installation of a new themed entrance feature" - Link
  • "Certificate of lawfulness for the lawful implementation of building operations (constructions works) that commence development of Alton Towers Hotel Extension (ref. 11/00402/REM1MJ)" - Link
    This application refers to the Extension of Time that was given to the ATH extension, with the original application submitted in 2006 found here.
There aren't any more details or documents available at this time (aside from the old ATH extension plans), so it will be interesting to see how these develop.
Morgan

By entrance feature, do they mean the rides entrance?

Expansion looks like it's involved with a secret weapon...
Danny

I recon they are moving Air's entrance to next to the shop, then they have clear paths leading to the Car Park behind. I think this could be an early confirmation as to where the next coaster will be :)
Ryan.B

Air shop is an air ship I think, what comes out of ATH on the advert? The floating boat (I've forgotten what it's called) could woodland walk go to Air Shop and you enter there? I wouldn't imagine Hotel Extension would say secret weapon, and shop, but if we don't get a medium/large investment next year, I will be suprised, but with the hotel extension and Air Shop, and new entrance feature, could this mean a moved entrance, or maybe a large entrance for two day visitors, book online visitors, pass holders and accommodation visitors? Does anyone have a clue what the new entrance feature means, is it suggesting an ride entrance or park entrance?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I would assume it means an entrance to the Air Shop extension - believed to be a FoodLoop restaurant. If not that, then what Danny posted sounds reasonable enough, a change of park entrance would get its own application.
Adz
Admin
Admin

The 'entrance feature' will simply be an elaborate piece of signage with a small amount of theming. I wouldn't be too surprised if it were a smaller version of Airs current rockwork archway entrance. It will almost certainly be for the rumored FoodLoop restaurant.

The hotel extension has been planned for years but never gone ahead due to various politics within Merlin and the resorts other expansion plans.
MakoMania

If they are extending the Hotel next year does that mean we'll not get any new rides again?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
lewis97
Admin
Admin

A major new ride has been confirmed to be opening in 2017, that's not to say that there won't be any other attractions next year though.
Ryan.B

I think it could be food loop and what Danny said now looking back at it, the queue could have a tiny extension with the entrance put by the shop and rumoured food loop, then the entrance currently for air could possibly be used for a 2017/2018 coaster, as well as the queue extensions, wonder why they feel the need to expand the hotels if it is for accommodation, they surely don't need more if it is extra rooms, I think it will be what Danny said and the food loop. I guess they might put a flat in FV this year, maybe on The Blade Spot, and have the major 2017 ride interacting with air
Coasterfellow

I accidentally read the message as "we some exciting plans for a pipeline" So my mind immediately turned back to the plans for sw1! aha ;)
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)
Benjsh85

If there are any new additions to the park in 2016 (in terms of rides) then I can't see past further expansion to CBB's Land personally as it's been a raging success to familes with young kids. My boy is 1 and we're planning on taking him for his first ever visit to AT before seasons end this year.

With a major investment coming in 2017, I don't think there will be anything "thrilling" joining the ride line up till then which is a real shame because it certainly would be nice to see a top class flat ride added to the DF or even to X-Sector to add some more variety and also soak up some queues.

In a strange way, I almost kind of wanted the next SW / major investment to be split across 4 or 5 rides instead which I feel would have enhanced the park a lot more than simply adding another top class coaster to what is already a top class line up. I know this won't happen but I get more than enough "coaster action" out of Nemmy, Smiler, Air, Blivy, Rita, 13, Spinball etc on a typical visit for now. Rest of the park needs to be brought up significantly IMO.

Water rides - Still fun on a hot day but they've seen their best days. Flume and Rapids are quite dull these days for me and I don't usually do them anymore. Maybe it's my age, I don't know.

Major flat rides - How many are there actually? Not enough obviously. Ripsaw is drawing it's pension at the moment if you pardon the metaphor. Won't be long till it's gone.

Duel - Used to love the haunted house. Great ride and probably my fav as a kid going to AT. Duel was fun for a while but it's totally run it's course for me. Very dated and not that much fun either. Basically a walk on too. Can't remember the last time I queued for it.

Sub-Terra - Great idea for a ride that was terribly done. I find it a bit tedious personally.

So in conclusion, it's pretty obvious where the money should be invested (IMO) but you can't pretty much rule that out and just expect a new coaster every 3-4 years which is a shame.
Aidan Lowe

If next season they further develop cbeebies with the removal of the Blade imminent then I will be extremely disappointed as lets be honest Ripsaw (with the correct sequence) is the only thrilling non-coaster attraction on park for an older age group.

I have an annual pass and start my day with ERT but I'm usually done by 1pm, those other rides are fillers for when I need a break from the coasters and I'd rather not end the day too early.

If there isn't a major flat in 2016 then I pray their plans for SW8 are worth the wait.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Nathan_Fisher

The plans have been revealed on the Staffordshire moorlands council site, (scroll down to see the plans). The plans show a detailed restaurant entrance, with what seems to be roller coaster track, this links to the Food Loop idea that can be seen at Europa Park.

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... PKID=78034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Nathan_Fisher wrote:The plans have been revealed on the Staffordshire moorlands council site, (scroll down to see the plans). The plans show a detailed restaurant entrance, with what seems to be roller coaster track, this links to the Food Loop idea that can be seen at Europa Park.

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... PKID=78034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indeed - http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... =2&t=40178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ;)
Nathan_Fisher

Ah, i didn't notice the topic at first Lewis
Sentri558

lewis97 wrote:A major new ride has been confirmed to be opening in 2017, that's not to say that there won't be any other attractions next year though.
Just wondering what the source is for this.
I've been out of the loop for a bit :clap: :lol :D :yes:
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Sentri558 wrote:
lewis97 wrote:A major new ride has been confirmed to be opening in 2017, that's not to say that there won't be any other attractions next year though.
Just wondering what the source is for this.
I've been out of the loop for a bit :clap: :lol :D :yes:
Nick Varney stated Alton Towers will be receiving a major investment in both 2017 and 2020 during the Neme21s event.
Ryan.

lewis97 wrote:So two applications are Awaiting Validation on the Staffordshire Moorlands District Council site.
  • "Extension to the existing 'Air Shop' and the installation of a new themed entrance feature" - Link
  • "Certificate of lawfulness for the lawful implementation of building operations (constructions works) that commence development of Alton Towers Hotel Extension (ref. 11/00402/REM1MJ)" - Link
    This application refers to the Extension of Time that was given to the ATH extension, with the original application submitted in 2006 found here.
There aren't any more details or documents available at this time (aside from the old ATH extension plans), so it will be interesting to see how these develop.
It is interesting to see that they are keeping their options open in terms of the ATH extension. For those who may not be familiar, the Certificate of Lawfulness application is being used in this instance by Alton Towers to get the Council to confirm that they started on site before the expiry date of the original planning permission.

The permission for the hotel extension was due to expire in August 2014. It appears Alton Towers were rather cunning however in undertaking some minor ground works in preparation for the hotel extension a week or so before the expiry date of the planning permission. Provided a start was made on site before the expiry date then the permission remains valid indefinitely, which means if the application for the Certificate of Lawfulness is approved, and the Council therefore accept that a start was made, then they will have the option to extend the hotel whenever they like.

Whether or not the submission of the Certificate of Lawfulness application is an indication that they plan to start the hotel expansion soon though is anyone's guess.