Alton Towers 2012 in Review

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
roary01

All this talk of ripsaw reminds me of last summer, i saw a large group of big Alton bosses gathered around watching ripsaw, which we all know last year was in a bad state...

However by sound of things they decided to put money into it and sort it out, instead of removing. Looks like Ripsaw is back better than previous recent years and for many years to come
siralgenon

It's definitely the best iv'e ever seen it! The restraints all look like they've had a re-paint as well!  :D
djtruefitt

They have also changed the audio on the skyride, its the same kind of style as the monorail trains with the man and woman talking about whats at Alton, etc. It also has the new funky version of ITHOTMK that is played in the monorail station and box office.

A few other minor changes for you geeks out there. They have done some work on the queue line area and exit around the rapids, with some bits of new paving and fencing. There is also a new platform and steps on the Flume platform next to the current steps, however im not quite sure what thats for yet. Im guessing it will be linked to fast track or disabled guests?

They are also in the process of replacing the big windows in the front of the Towers.
mrbrightside

djtruefitt wrote:They have done some work on the queue line area and exit around the rapids, with some bits of new paving and fencing.
which means that you can in fact skip the shop at the end of the exit! Haha...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
mrbrightside

Hex has been closed today and yesterday. No idea why.

ImageImage
siralgenon

Just found this on YouTube >

Apparently Gardaland are using the exact same advert for their Ice Age 4D attraction! The only difference being the Towers in the background and the logo's! So much for seeing the bubble cars on Towers Street! The advert wasn't even produced for the park!
Longy

It looks like the advert was made for AT, as that background doesn't look 'correct', and the AT logo at the end is printed in the snow, whereas the Gardaland logo is not.

TBH, it's Merlin, so what do you expect.

It's still a good advert though!
thefatone

It's a towers advert - Gardaland just using part of it.

Looking back at most Garda and Heidi stuff, they like using the UK adverts and theme music on stuff.
Squiggles

I've only just noticed it when looking at the Gardaland version of the ad, but during the wide shot of the car filling with snow you can see the Alton Towers Hotel in the background! Nice!
Edwardo..... move me!
CoasterCrazyChris

How very cheap of them. :P

I do like the ad - but knowing Gardaland is using the same style of format infringes on Alton Towers visual identity just a bit.

What happened to the days when Alton was always marketed as a cut above the rest?

:)
Mi-Nigle

Noticed a brand new shiny motor on the Blade as well, gets up to speed nice and quickly! :)

I'm quite impressed with the general look of the park, it looks very clean and neat. The gardens were looking a bit dry and messy but I'm going to put that down to the season rather than bad gardening. I'll reserve my judgement till the summer.

I think one of the Nemesis trains has new wheel covers? Either that or they've been painted and buffed to a gleaming shine! They look great but it's odd that they've only done one.
Poison Tom 96

Nemesis just runs better and better now!
Seems like Merlin know how to treat this ride :D
Most of the park looks V.Tidy now :D

The only issue is that the balls in Berry Bish Bash seem a lot less than last year quantity wise and the host did little to nothing to stop people throwing the balls
Last edited by Poison Tom 96 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
barmy_scotty

Squiggles wrote: I've only just noticed it when looking at the Gardaland version of the ad, but during the wide shot of the car filling with snow you can see the Alton Towers Hotel in the background! Nice!
Also if you look very very closely in the top right corner you can see the towers!
J01N U5.... Y0U W1LL 5M173.....

Y0U B370NG T0 TH3 5M1L3R

5M1L3!!!

ALWAY5
ATJoseph

I know this is off topic but on the topic of merlin reusing towers adverts watch this:
mrbrightside

Something else I wanted to mention... The nemesis theme music was blasting out from the queue entrance and around the queue. Very loud. Very awesome. Better than last year.

ImageImage
thefatone

Alongside that, this guy has seemingly appeared on park:

(photo courtesy of mark9 - found on mania hub)

Win?
Poison Tom 96

thefatone wrote: Alongside that, this guy has seemingly appeared on park:

(photo courtesy of mark9 - found on mania hub)

Win?
EPIC WIN :D
siralgenon

OMG haha! That has to be the most scary / insane bear I have ever seen  :P
Benzin

Merlin are constantly finding new ways of making me give them money...

The merch selection at Thorpe and Towers has been very very good this year so far...
Poison Tom 96

Nemesis bear will kill you in your sleep..........

[Terror @ Night]