Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Owen

Kurtis12 wrote:
Owen wrote:Thorpe Park have confirmed that the technical rehearsals are showing the entire experience, and so the initial speculation of only parts of the attraction being shown is false.
[emoji30] so it's basically rubbish then I really hoped there's was more to it, oh well Orlando 2016 can't come quick enough !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, it's basically in its rehearsal phase and you are judging it on an experience that may or may not have been at its best. I'd say give it a few months and them make a conclusive judgement as anything can change at this stage. :)
salamanderman

For all you saying that the ride was dissapointing, rember the fact we have a ghost train to ride. Even hhn in orlando cant be perfect all the time,lookin at you twd

(Ps: are they any skeletons on the ride?
Dont want it to be too spoopy for me)
Ttsp's resident psychopath and coaster enthusiast
craig.day.92

Is it really that bad? I am due to go on Monday so ill guess I shall find out, Just not sure I have hyped it up so much in my head I dont want to be let down. Would for those been on it say its well worth going on?
Owen

The general ratings I've seen are in the 7-10 area, although it's to be expected that some aspects may be having issues - if not that's a bonus! :D

We all find different things entertaining, so while some people may hate the ride others may adore it.
danheathpt

Nothing as we were in the train vr section.

Because that person was in the ride operating area having some how gained access! So an emergency stop was necessary forcing a full ride restart.

Management made there way Ito out carriage and explained what had happened
Azza1390

It's an amazing experience would rate it 10/10 only thing not working was the photos once you have been on you will relise why it's had so many problems :)
Danny

Evening all :)

So today myself and some of the team got to experience Derren Brown's Ghost Train twice.

Our first ride we got inside the main building about to board, but had to be evacuated. It has been confirmed by management that someone mid ride removed their headset and tried to leave the carriage. No one tried to break in to the ride whilst in operation.

There are mixed views amongst the team, but I personally loved it. I had two different experiences, but I am so impressed with Thorpe. They have suffered several break downs today, and even managed to reopen it 10 minutes before closing time. As previously mentioned, we had pretty much the full experience, although these were still technical rehearsals.

Small tweaks are required to several parts of the ride, but these will come over time and it is obvious they are keen to perfect the ride experience.

For the next two weeks the rehearsals will continue, and they aim to have the ride open at some point each day. Obviously this is subject to availability.

There's so many impressive aspects and it will take several times to notice them all, but all in all I'm very pleased and think it's a fantastic addition :)
Horras64

DannyG wrote:For the next two weeks the rehearsals will continue, and they aim to have the ride open at some point each day. Obviously this is subject to availability.
How do you know what time they aim to have it open each day? I'm worried I'll miss it if it does open.

Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

Was Justin the one who tried to leave mid ride I've heard he gets scared easily?
Justin

Good to see rehearsalsome going well today!
I was really pleased to experience it last week and I can't wait to give it another go!

What happened with the evacuation?
Did they tell you to stay in your seats or leave?
Danny

Horras64 wrote:
DannyG wrote:For the next two weeks the rehearsals will continue, and they aim to have the ride open at some point each day. Obviously this is subject to availability.
How do you know what time they aim to have it open each day? I'm worried I'll miss it if it does open.

There is no time frame. It will open when it is ready and will close if need be. They have not assured it will open every day and it will be judged daily.
Justin wrote:Good to see rehearsalsome going well today!
I was really pleased to experience it last week and I can't wait to give it another go!

What happened with the evacuation?
Did they tell you to stay in your seats or leave?
We were waiting on the bridge, we were evacuated and so was the group on the ride. We had to leave the building altogether whilst everything was reset. :)
ScareTOUR

Well the park actually wanted us to post a review from yesterday's technical rehearsal so here it is:

http://www.scaretouruk.com/review---der ... train.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have tried REALLY hard not to spoil anything but the nature of reviews may give away some elements

Our main negative is that the audio in the first act was too quiet to really hear what was happening. It has been confirmed to us that this is to be addressed
Ladyofthelake

I was fortunate enough to get to experience Derren Brown's Ghost Train twice yesterday during its technical rehearsal. I was in the same group as Danny G, therefore as he has mentioned, on our first attempt we did get evacuated due to a technical issue. Thorpe, to their credit, handled this extremely well issuing priority passes to those who were evacuated so they could go straight back on when it did eventually re-open.

The first thing that strikes you about the attraction is the overall theming. The attention to detail is incredibly impressive and the theming continues throughout the interior of the ride, I don't recall seeing one part that wasn't themed. Whilst I won't give anything away about what happens inside, I have to say that it wasn't quite what I was expecting. The pre-show is very well done and sets the ride up nicely. The ride is very cleverly done and genuinely creates a grand illusion as you are left questioning various elements as you go through. However, I personally didn't get the 'wow' factor that allot of people seem to have had coming off the ride. For me the last part of the story didn't seem to quite fit - it perhaps needed a couple of small explainers to help people understand why what was happening was happening. I don't know if I wasn't 'wowed' because I don't get in the least bit scared at this type of thing, or if the delays had had an effect on how I perceived the ride. I will give it a few more tries once it's officially open to see if anything changes my opinion though.

As Danny mentioned, the attraction did experience a number of technical issues which led to it closing at various points, however the staff clearly wanted to try and keep it running for as long as possible. I'm sure that the Resort will learn a great deal about the attraction and what needs tweaking through these rehearsals in order to help refine and perfect the operations and experience.

Even though I personally wasn't 'wowed' by it, that doesn't take away from the fact that Thorpe Park Resort have created an impressive new addition to their line-up, an addition which incorporates a huge amount of new technology for the theme park industry, all of which combines to create something which is certainly a unique experience. The theming is also some of the best I've seen on a ride, and it is nice to see Merlin giving an attraction so much attention to detail, both inside and out.
Luce

I experienced Derren Brown's Ghost Train today more than once as part of the technical rehearsals and I have to say, I was very impressed. From the detailed theming throughout the attraction to the stunning VR, the whole experience was fantastic and the various elements were cleverly done in my view.

One thing I am glad about, is that not knowing what to expect was great and made for a better first go and additionally, I like the headsets which aren't as heavy as those used on Galactica - a bonus I thought :)

Also, even though it was still in rehearsals, it still managed to impress me so hopefully when it's open properly, it will as well :)
Jormerod18

I also came off it yesterday being impressed but not quite having the wow factor but since then it has grown on me massively and is probably one of my favourite rides
Max

Rode three times today. I honestly thought it was fantastic. I'm not usually one for scare attractions, and I didn't hold back in expressing my disappointment upon the announcement of the ride, but I was genuinely blown away by this. The theming, attention to every detail, quality of the VR and the scare effects combined for three fantastic rides, each differing in at least one way. 10/10 for execution. Thorpe are onto a winner here.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
oblivion

How long has the queue been getting during these technical rehearsals, what time has it been opening and has the queue been shutting if the queue gets too big? I'm going next week and I'd like to know a bit more about how this is working if these rehearsals are still running when I go.
Max

Posted 150 minutes from as soon as it opened, never actually passed 70ish.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Adz
Admin
Admin

In my view, this attraction is the most innovative, immersive and exciting addition to the UK theme park industry since Hex. It's not often we get something of this level in Europe, let alone the UK. The level of detail in the theming and presentation would not be out of place in a Universal theme park.

That being said the ride does have its flaws and I can see some being disappointed, especially if VR is not your thing. Most of the current issues I can see being rectified during the ongoing technical rehearsals.

Definitely get to Thorpe Park and experience it for yourself, and I can only emphasis that the less you know the better it will be for you.
oblivion

Exciting review Adz! Really hoping that it's open this Saturday so I can ride it for myself. What is the fastest route from entrance to DBGT? Just in case I need to get there quickly.