Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
smokenmirrors

Hi all, I'm new to the forums but wanted to chip in about DBGT. Managed to ride this during tech rehearsals and several other times. It's great to see the park took on board people's feedback and they've done a fantastic job of creating a unique dark ride experience. So happy we have this in the UK!

I've read through a lot of the 'how it works' theories. The one below is categorically NOT true looking at the original plans! I have a theory that much is achieved through particularly clever lighting effects, but I do like the idea of not fully knowing 'how' they do it. I'm pretty sure they'll have been told to tell people completely different things just to 'derail' the mind a bit more...
thorpeparklocal wrote:After talking today to a member of Staff he had told me how the system works this was official comments to the new ride
Spoiler
The Ride works with 3 trains the victorian carriage is a shell and all three platforms are in one room you just can't see them as there are mirror effects...
Owen

Hi, welcome to SouthParks!

Currently I haven't read or seen a perfect theory on how the attraction works, I quite like this personally because it makes it all the more intresting!
Chukensky

I've just been on the Ghost train and as much as it kills me to say, I was extremely disappointed. Everything about it felt messy and too rehearsed. I felt the VR scenes dragged on a bit too much and weren't scary at all. I feel like the way the ride works is being overthought completely. If I had to rate, id give the ride a 2/10. Of course this is all an opinion and I may have just had a bad ride, but overall, not all that great :(
craig.day.92

Im with Chukensky on this one... Finally rode DBGT and I was left disappointed, Well you cant knock the theming and the creation behind it all but it wasnt remotely scary or mind bending at all. Confused about the middle part as well. Of course personal opinion and hoping to go on it again in a few months. Hyped it up to much in my head I think. 4/10
Owen

There seemed to be some issues this morning, possibly this have effected your experience?

I wouldn't write this off just yet, as you may find other experiences more scary than this one! :)
Matt_1985

Spoiler
I don't understand how it can be rated as low as 2. Did you not notice how you get on a train hanging in the middle of a room but get off in a completely different setting and train, that's the best illusion I've ever seen on a dark ride
craig.day.92

Matt_1985 that is very impressive I think it was due to the main VR story line.
Chukensky

Matt_1985 wrote:
Spoiler
I don't understand how it can be rated as low as 2. Did you not notice how you get on a train hanging in the middle of a room but get off in a completely different setting and train, that's the best illusion I've ever seen on a dark ride
Spoiler
I kinda caught on to the train moving whilst the VR was on and if you look you can see the doors in which the train enters. Team this up with mirrors, a few mediocre lighting tricks and a train shell, you get what appears to be a floating train, it was hugely given away during the second VR sequence. Don't get me wrong, impressive effort but not executed as well as I thought it'd be. It felt cheap and nasty, the actors seemed like they'd rather you rush with the ride so they can finish their day at work other than trying to actually save your life. Extremely disappointed, the pre show honestly got me so pumped but then it just dropped.
I feel cheated
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Thorpe seem set on revealing more and more of the attraction with them having now sent out an email linking to this page which features a short video of some snippets of the VR scenes. Naturally it contains spoilers.

There's also this spoilertastic review from Engadget.
thorpeparklocal

In response to smokenmirrors;
Spoiler
The Theme Park Employee who spoke to me asked me if I had travelled on it already and looked very reluctant to answer my question. You can somewhat tell from the fakers to the truth's. My theory isn't a theory and is completely truthful if you look at the plans the warehouse is connected to platform one. The only divide is the mirror. And Platform 3 is covered by the Victorian Shell as I'm guessing you have not been able to look all the way behind it. Lighting has nothing to do with it well I lie there Derren Brown used an old Victorian Magic Trick called 'Peppers Ghost' a trick using Mirror raised effects to see things that are not actually there.
For anybody who would like to see if I'm full of theory's must look at this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper%27s_ghost
Last edited by lewis97 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed spoiler tag
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Annual passholders can now register for a chance to attend the exclusive Summer Nights event on August 5th. Rather than first come first served the 'winners' will be picked at random from everyone who registers interest.
timmy1372

lewis97 wrote:Annual passholders can now register for a chance to attend the exclusive Summer Nights event on August 5th. Rather than first come first served the 'winners' will be picked at random from everyone who registers interest.
That's a bore because I already booked it off work.
jonny9403

lewis97 wrote:Annual passholders can now register for a chance to attend the exclusive Summer Nights event on August 5th. Rather than first come first served the 'winners' will be picked at random from everyone who registers interest.
Well that's not going to be busy
Owen

thorpeparklocal wrote:In response to smokenmirrors;
Spoiler
The Theme Park Employee who spoke to me asked me if I had travelled on it already and looked very reluctant to answer my question. You can somewhat tell from the fakers to the truth's. My theory isn't a theory and is completely truthful if you look at the plans the warehouse is connected to platform one. The only divide is the mirror. And Platform 3 is covered by the Victorian Shell as I'm guessing you have not been able to look all the way behind it. Lighting has nothing to do with it well I lie there Derren Brown used an old Victorian Magic Trick called 'Peppers Ghost' a trick using Mirror raised effects to see things that are not actually there.
For anybody who would like to see if I'm full of theory's must look at this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper%27s_ghost
This issue is, staff members can lie and probably do - as proven by how others seem to have been told something defferent.

At the end of the day no one can really confirm if these theories are correct, and so they remain as theories for that reason. :)
timmy1372

jonny9403 wrote:
Well that's not going to be busy
Yes I'm starting to think this might not be such a good idea.
Ghost Train

Derren Browns Ghost Train Thorpe Park.

What a load of rubbish.

I'm really surprised that Derren Brown put his name on this joke of a so called Ghost Train ride. Staff very unprofessional, telling you to run, shouting at the deaf who only use sign language and pushing them. Health and safety doesn't seem to be in Thorpe Parks interest. Don't bother wasting your time, I had a fast pass as stayed in the hotel. Don't even expect a photo at the end, you wont get one.

Don't bother!!!!!

Absolute rubbish!!! :yikes:
Owen

You say the staff were unprofessional, yet they did exactly what they're supposed to? Unprofessional would be them being half-hearted about the whole thing whereas to me it sounds like you got a great set. You also say actors were "pushing them" (like they do to everyone), it clearly states in the attractions warning sign "the actors may touch you". In regards to them shouting at the deaf (although everyone gets shouted at), how on earth do you expect them to know that? That's the job of the person with them to alert them to move, if that wasn't clear by everyone else running. You knew before entering the ride that it was an intense and full on experience, it's not like it's going to be all sweet and calm so the fact you're essentially basing your experience on the fact that it wasn't is bewildering.

Of course your opinion is your opinion but I, and I'm sure many others, do not think it's valid from the points you raise.
jonny9403

Ghost Train wrote:Derren Browns Ghost Train Thorpe Park.

What a load of rubbish.

I'm really surprised that Derren Brown put his name on this joke of a so called Ghost Train ride. Staff very unprofessional, telling you to run, shouting at the deaf who only use sign language and pushing them. Health and safety doesn't seem to be in Thorpe Parks interest. Don't bother wasting your time, I had a fast pass as stayed in the hotel. Don't even expect a photo at the end, you wont get one.

Don't bother!!!!!

Absolute rubbish!!! :yikes:
Welcome to our forums i hope u enjoy your stay :)
Horras64

In contradiction to 'Ghost Train' I have my first time opinions, as I have finally, after months of waiting, departed Thorpe Jct.
Spoiler
I came into the pre-show, with my heart pumping, excited for the ride. The pre-show was very good, with effects etc. and an overall creepy feel. Which definitely set the mood.

Walking to the room with the actual suspended train was very well themed, although the I think they could of made it slightly darker.

Upon entering the room I was so excited. The theming of the train and ambience is astounding. You can hear faint screams and the noises. And even hear the train moving in and out of the shell.

Unfortunately I caught a glimpse of the mirror which covers the movement of he train from the far end, but I was still impressed by how the mechanics were covered up, in such a convincing illusion.

The first VR section, was a bit buggy, however still reasonably scary.

Being rushed out of the train go me going, the actors doing a great job, and the station being very, very realistic. With smell pods everywhere, and it being quite cool, along with vibration effects.

The illusion of the train crashing into you was great, and quite realistic. All the effects really added to the illusion.

Straight after, you're rushed back into a different train, where the VR section is very immersive and thrilling. The monster made me move and shout a lot.

The only criticism on this bit is the green gas bit, lots of time wasted where something could've happened. Although it must be in order to wait for the next train to depart from the suspended train room.

Then, the monster picks up the train and throws it, the physical simulation was great. After this, the ride ends and a jump scare.
All in all, the experience was great, I felt as if I was in a horror film. Very thrilling and worth the wait. (I had a fasttracks)

Apologies for the essay. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SJW

Another review out today: http://riderater.co.uk/6115/review-derr ... orpe-park/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;