Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
timmy1372

Also in the guardian too. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... AaeTGbij6Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lewis97
Admin
Admin

timmy1372 wrote:Also in the guardian too.
Given that The Guardian refer to tomorrow's date with the phrase "the latest reports say" it's unclear whether this has come from a different source to the Evening Standard, or that they've just based it off of what the ES have stated.
Owen wrote:The park haven't made an official announcement - much like many people have said the resort will likely just open the attraction at this stage.
The ride has effectively opened now that it's pretty much ready, which is what I assume people meant when they suggested that it would just open. I would still expect Thorpe to give reasonable notice of an official opening date though, especially after stating all this time on social media that they would announce a new date - spontaneously declaring that it's now 'open' may not receive the best reaction. Guess we shall see what happens tomorrow...
Owen

I think people just meant that they assumed it would just open much like The Smiler, seeing as people are referring to this as a soft opening or a rehearsal period - not a full opening. Personally I was expecting an announcement, however I wouldn't be entirely shocked if it opened with a Facebook post stating it had - it wouldn't be the first time and if I were in charge Thorpe Park I wouldn't want to have the headline attraction of 2016 not officially open for longer than it needed to be. Not to mention responses are now along the lines of "We will give more information soon", not necessarily meaning the date would be announced ahead.

Either way, if the ride does open that's fantastic, however if it doesn't then the Evening Standard and various other news sites will be looking quite silly tomorrow! :lol
Aidan Lowe

Digital Spy have a rather revealing article also stating its opening today (July 8th) posted shortly after midnight and with what look like new promotional stock images so I'm guessing it may well indeed be officially opened today.

It does contain images of the half-way point, the DB segment, an on-ride snap of people wearing the headset as well as the photo op & I'm guessing a screenshot of the VR during the second half.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Owen

Here is said article. Do not look at this if you do not want to see the photos below. The spoiler tag below shows images of inside the attraction, if you do not want to see inside the attraction do not click further.
Spoiler
Second "Infection Check" photo op

The Pre-Show room

The Live Action Segment

Screenshot of VR

Photo of people frightened on the train

jonny9403

Image it's official now
Horras64

jonny9403 wrote:Image it's official now
Where is this from? The advert?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cianjs

Yep. Thorpe reuploaded 30 mins ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Owen

The website has now been fully updated stating the ride is now open. :)

Here is the advert screenshoted above.
phildenholm

Yeah was just about to post saying this has just been posted :) FINALLY!!
Owen

Exactly one year after the ride was initially teased! Perfect timing or what?

SouthParks have posted this video from the resort to their Facebook and it's quite a nice way to announce the opening!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Guess I was just in denial that it could finally be opening then :P

Aside from what emerged yesterday, it is a bit unexpected though with it being expressed that Thorpe intended to keep it in technical rehearsals for longer than a week. There's also the fact that the main media event isn't for another couple of weeks. I do wonder if there was pressure from above to just get it open now that it's in an acceptable state...
Owen

Considering that 50% of the attraction was being kept a secret (VR scenarios) I'd think they'd want to operate it with all 24 combinations for a few weeks before media. I'm sure the the attraction is ready to go, I'm just glad to see it is finally open! :D
lewis97
Admin
Admin

My thinking was that they could do that with it still in 'technical rehearsals', but I guess it makes sense from a commercial standpoint to now market it is as open after all this time, ahead of the school summer holidays too, now that they are in a position to do so.
DeadJack5

Just had an email thru from Thorpe Park themselves.

It's now open
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Looks like it's due to open at midday judging by this tweet from Thorpe.
DeadJack5

Very similar to how The Smiler was opened. They opened the queue ready for guests to go through and officially opened the ride at 12/1pm.

Very excited to hear the reviews and hear about any other experiences that will come out of it
DanSUFC

Great news that it's finally opened, hoping to visit at some point this year! Just a small side note, anyone notice that in the re-uploaded advert this morning they've tweaked the advert slightly again... and now instead of "Derail your mind on a Ghost Train like no other", it now been very obviously edited to say "A Ghost Train like no other".... why have they removed the "Derail Your Mind" slogan, or have I missed something glaringly obvious?
simononestop

got the email as well fully open now.

guess they will just ramp up the marketing again and tv adverts
DeadJack5

On Thorpe Park's snapchat, 2 YouTube stars have taken over promoting the ride.

Also it shows the 2 YouTuber's own experiences and their reactions to the experience. It further shows more of the inside detail/theming of the ride.