Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
swooddow

I just don't see how there is multiple trains and carriages , as there is only one ride vehicle there !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lewis97
Admin
Admin

As Owen says, I don't believe that the suspended Victorian carriage is a ride vehicle as such, and is more likely a outer shell which the actual ride vehicles will move in and out of.
althorpe

but theres no track around the train?
swooddow

Maybe that's the whole illusion ? Don't know haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lewis97
Admin
Admin

althorpe wrote:but theres no track around the train?
I think the repeated mention of "grand illusion" is key here ;)

Also, as anticipated, signage identifying the queue-lines has been added where the 'Arriving 6th May' sign previously hung.

Source: Thorpe Park Mania Facebook
Horras64

lewis97 wrote:As Owen says, I don't believe that the suspended Victorian carriage is a ride vehicle as such, and is more likely a outer shell which the actual ride vehicles will move in and out of.
If that's the case then they've hidden the mechanism very well for the photo.
althorpe

probably photoshop I reckon. Maybe you leave by the door in the back of the photo?
COASTERGENICS

if you look to the right of the carridge you can see a warped window, could this be Photoshop or part of the illusion
full credit for signature to NemesisRider!
simononestop

I lightened it up in photo shop and took the shadows out see the last post, here is a larger one.
could be photoshop'd but I doubt it
lewis97
Admin
Admin

It looks to me like there are mirrors below and to the side of the train, which may explain why the window looks warped.

Also, having read through the full press release, there are a couple of new details which might be of interest:
The ghost itself, is the Ghost Train, it acts as a portal which takes you into a new dimension – a dimension created by the wizards of Merlin Magic Making ... alongside illusionist and mind manipulator, Derren Brown.
The technology has been merged with special effects including vibrating floor plates and self-steaming windows amongst other surprises along the way.
From a demon, to a tramp, there is a wide spectrum of characters waiting to greet guests that pass through the suspended train’s doors.
Derren Brown comments: Yes, there is a hidden message, an underlying story that has been pinned into the narrative – this is a ride with a mind of its own, that has been produced to mess with your mind, so why not provoke thought also.
Horras64

lewis97 wrote:It looks to me like there are mirrors below and to the side of the train, which may explain why the window looks warped.

Also, having read through the full press release, there are a couple of new details which might be of interest:
The ghost itself, is the Ghost Train, it acts as a portal which takes you into a new dimension – a dimension created by the wizards of Merlin Magic Making ... alongside illusionist and mind manipulator, Derren Brown.
The technology has been merged with special effects including vibrating floor plates and self-steaming windows amongst other surprises along the way.
From a demon, to a tramp, there is a wide spectrum of characters waiting to greet guests that pass through the suspended train’s doors.
Derren Brown comments: Yes, there is a hidden message, an underlying story that has been pinned into the narrative – this is a ride with a mind of its own, that has been produced to mess with your mind, so why not provoke thought also.
This is what I thought ages ago! If is is true, damn I a good speculator. Anyway, I have also speculated how I believe the grand illusion part is significant here. And I still hold to that even more with these images. I just want to get on it!
Owen

Those who saw the images from the presentation awhile ago will know that there is at least something below the train, and so mirrors are definitely at work here. :)

I really really really hope that this fracking thing isn't the "deeper message", it's quite a sneaky and rather disappointing prospect that Derren would use the opertunity to advertise his disapproval of fracking to the masses. I really hope this isn't the case and I would hope that neither THORPE PARK nor Derren would drop to such standards. :-k
Altontowersbarlow

That could not look more impressive. I have no doubt that this ride has the best looking show building centre piece of any ride in the UK. The sheer size of the train and the amount of lights and mirrors used is absolutely incredible.
Horras64

The Ghost Train shop was closed today as of this tweet.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I believe Derren was on-site again today doing some more press stuff, so it was likely closed due to that.
naoisenoo

Had to create an account so I can join in the conversation!

You probably find someone else has already pointed this out but I noticed today that the fortune teller in the Ghost Train shop is highly based off of the poster used for Derren's show "Svengali"

Owen

Indeed he was, Lewis.
Derren Brown wrote:Looong day of press at Thorpe Park after very little sleep. No voice and my eye now twitches continuously, possibly permanently.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Thorpe have now added various additional photos to the Press section of their website. What's interesting is that the title of the images contains the following:
Illusionist Derren Brown takes an exclusive behind the scenes tour of his new ‘Derren Brown’s Ghost Train’, ahead of it’s public opening at the end of May at Thorpe Park Resort in Surrey.
Owen

I wouldn't really look too into this, I would be inclined to say that they are saying the end of May so that if they need it they have that extra week or so to get the attraction ready. :)
Morgano

Guys, no one mentioning the two things that look like track supports right behind Darren holding absolutely nothing? The first one is under his elbow and the second one is positioned to the right. They are painted brown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk