Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Ibizarocks16

I'm going mad.. I'm going to the park Thursday not Friday :roll: staying at the shark hotel Wednesday night. Hoping to get a sneak peak at DB
Owen

There may be a chance hotel guests will get the opertunity, however no one is really sure so don't keep your hopes up :)
Owen

The first 'celebrity' has been confirmed for Thursday's Press Night. Deano Baily from Ibiza Weekender will be attending.

Fingers crossed they'll manage to get some celebs of the calibur of last year, such as Star Wars actor John Boyega, Harry Potter actor Rupert Grint and singer Fluer East.

In other news, a new stencil has been added the building replacing "Luggage" with "Workshop". There has also been some modification to the queue.

Credit to Theme Park Worldwide.
timmy1372

You'd think any changes to the queue line would of been sorted out long before opening day, they were there with a pneumatic drill only yesterday, they like cutting it fine don't they!
Owen

timmy1372 wrote:You'd think any changes to the queue line would of been sorted out long before opening day, they were there with a pneumatic drill only yesterday, they like cutting it fine don't they!
I thought the same but honestly by the looks of it, it's more or less there now. Press preview night tonight - we should begin to see our first reviews flood the internet over the next 48 hours!
Mskitty

Technical Rehearsals just started we're in the line now!
Owen

Ah beat me to it. Here's the images from TPM!

Dom

I would like to remind people to please use the spoiler tags when posting information about inside the attraction. Some of our members will want to stay spoiler free.
Ibizarocks16

Was on the park today. Never seen it so dead, Not moaning at all. Looking forward to some spoiler free reviews!
ThemeCrafter264

Credit where credit is due. #ghosttrain about dbgt, is currently the third trending tweet
Owen

ThemeParkCrafter wrote:Credit where credit is due. #ghosttrain about dbgt, is currently the third trending tweet
This will be personal to you, so may not be trending officially :)
timmy1372

Ibizarocks16 wrote:Was on the park today. Never seen it so dead, Not moaning at all. Looking forward to some spoiler free reviews!

To be fair Wednesday felt like like the park wasn't really open yet, the park opening barely a week before DBGT means nobody is mad enough to go before tomorrow, apart from people like us :)
Last edited by Dom on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added quote, so post would make sense :)
Owen

So far I've not seen anything negative, the main statement being thrown around is "massively improved"!
ThemeCrafter264

Spoiler
It appears the first half is the same including the preshow but from the mid bit, it is different with a new ending scene, involving a oujita board, new vr and a revamped section.
Jack

I guess I can review it now? It's safe? I'm safe? I guess so :lol

DO NOT look at spoilers for this ride, do not even try, it will ruin everything for you. Go on expecting everything and nothing, and remember not everything is as it seems.

This is by far the best attraction in Merlins history as of this update, this ride at its worst makes the original Derren Browns Ghost Train, when it was at it's best, look awful (and I loved last years version to bits, as many will know.).

Last year was a brilliant idea, this year however, is an outstanding execution of a brilliant idea. :)
MakoMania

Happy to hear this!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Owen

A POV is online and can be found here.

Bare in mind aspects may change by tomorrow and that this contains strong spoilers.
Owen

Thorpe Park have released two videos from press night!

Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise Of The Demon sneak peak (Minor Spoilers)

Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise Of The Demon (No Spoilers)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I was fortunate enough to attend last night's event and the attraction certainly has improved, although I still feel as though there's the potential for more from it. I don't intend to include any major spoilers, but will put the rest of my thoughts in spoiler tags so that anyone who wants to experience it without any expectations (the best way to do it) can do so.
Spoiler
Firstly, I am aware that some elements may differ between media night and during normal operation - i.e. the 'train crash' during the middle was just broken last night and has not been removed altogether.

Given that the second VR section was the weakest aspect of the attraction last year, it was good to see that was where there have been the most notable changes. As well as improve the quality and realism of the VR content, it's also increased the number of scares (which is also the case in the first VR section, although to a minor extent) and it's now such that you want to be held before the finale for a longer period of time to experience more of the new content. The new headphones also allow the audio to be much louder and so it's clearer to hear what's going on, not to mention enhancing the scares.

Overall, I think upping the intensity and jumps will be something which goes down well with the average guest, as many of the complaints last year (aside from technical issues) were that it wasn't as terrifying as people were expecting. Unfortunately, for many 'enthusiasts' its first season will always somewhat taint it, and really isn't the most re-rideable of attractions, however I expect most can appreciate it in terms of the technology it incorporates and the quality of theming throughout.

Hopefully, this season will see a noticeable improvement in the ride's reliability and the headset/headphone setup's durability, as well as the attraction consistently opening on time. If that's the case then I would say Derren Brown's Ghost Train will have a significantly more successful year than 2016.
Ladyofthelake

SouthParks now have a full article detailing all the changes to the attraction. We have tried to keep spoilers to a minimum, but there will be some small spoilers in there.

Personally, although I did think the ride was so much better than last year, there was still something missing for me. However, it is undoubtedly a marked improvement and works far better that last year.