Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Altitude

^ Yeah but that was going to be a GCI which are getting dull now imo.
iriderides101

Altitude wrote: ^ Yeah but that was going to be a GCI which are getting dull now imo.
Might I ask how many GCIs have you  ridden?

GCIs are awesome coasters- I think a woodie is the way forward
Altitude

^ Enough to know they're fun but nothing particularly amazing. All of them seem the same now. It's just my opinion anyway. I'd much rather have an RMC than GCI.
TheDarkStar

If it were too high though then a wall would be around the park
A

iriderides101 wrote:
Altitude wrote: ^ Your forgetting that Cedar Point lacks flats, and Thorpe has quite a few... But still, you're right. £40+ is ridiculous for Thorpe, and Alton for that matter.
Been thinking about the £40+ entry prices for Thorpe & Alton

And I have come to the conclusion that this is nothing more than a Marketing price. Everyone loves a good deal so Merlin sell their tickets at £40, knowing full well it will distribute 2 for 1s throughout the season+ any online offer they may take, again a nice 'rewarding draw' for consumers. I imagine they are making profit off the 1/2 price entry. Then any mugs who pay full whack Merlin are making a killing from it!
That is very true, I don't think I've ever payed the full price for a ticket
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
lewis97
Admin
Admin

A wrote:
iriderides101 wrote:
Altitude wrote: ^ Your forgetting that Cedar Point lacks flats, and Thorpe has quite a few... But still, you're right. £40+ is ridiculous for Thorpe, and Alton for that matter.
Been thinking about the £40+ entry prices for Thorpe & Alton

And I have come to the conclusion that this is nothing more than a Marketing price. Everyone loves a good deal so Merlin sell their tickets at £40, knowing full well it will distribute 2 for 1s throughout the season+ any online offer they may take, again a nice 'rewarding draw' for consumers. I imagine they are making profit off the 1/2 price entry. Then any mugs who pay full whack Merlin are making a killing from it!
That is very true, I don't think I've ever payed the full price for a ticket
That was another thing mentioned in the workshop I attended at the park with the school. They have figures to show that whenever they don't do 2-4-1, gate numbers are lower for that year.
mugnezz

iriderides101 wrote:
mikecloud1984 wrote:
mugnezz wrote: but I think the coaster is postponed in 2016, in 2015 is expected to be built gardaland
Huh?

Merlin own both Thorpe and Gardaland - nothing is stopping them opening a coaster in each.

If Thorpe want a coaster for April opening 2015 then they have another 9 months before any ground works need to start - but saying that, the ground works have been happening for years if the new ride will appear on the island next to Stealth/Swarm.
Cashflow? These things are not cheap
Exactly, the original plan was: A coaster at Alton Towers, Thorpe Park Gardaland and Heide Park , so that each park receives a coaster or big attraction every 3 years, unfortunately, the economic crisis has led to various problems and having to give up to build 2 large attractions in the same year. Then Gardaland has been postponed by a year and so Thorpe Park  passes 2015 to 2016.
Last edited by mugnezz on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
schmatt

Thorpe Park's Facebook page have uploaded a picture of El Toro with the caption 'would you?'
Are they debating getting a woodie similar?! :D Judging by the comments everyone is up for one! \:D/
Chris
Admin
Admin

Will be a very happy bunny if they build any ride similar to El Toro - my favourite ride on the planet!
Sam198

Couldn't agree more, Baffles.

This is promising!
josh1391

schmatt wrote: Thorpe Park's Facebook page have uploaded a picture of El Toro with the caption 'would you?'
Are they debating getting a woodie similar?! :D Judging by the comments everyone is up for one! \:D/
I wouldn't be surprised if Thorpe Park outsources their social media accounts to a marketing company who have little to no knowledge of Thorpe Parks future plans. so I personally wouldn't assume the woodie picture means anything at all.
DeanGaryCox

you say that their social media department have no power in terms of what happens in investments etc. but maybe they genuinely are included in the marketing and research of a new ride and seeking peoples opinions?

nice to see they're actually replying... and to me at that :P

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/DeanG ... sort=3&o=2
Image 2014
Altitude

josh1391 wrote:
schmatt wrote: Thorpe Park's Facebook page have uploaded a picture of El Toro with the caption 'would you?'
I wouldn't be surprised if Thorpe Park outsources their social media accounts to a marketing company who have little to no knowledge of Thorpe Parks future plans. so I personally wouldn't assume the woodie picture means anything at all.
Pretty sure they don't?
themealgang

Just had a peak at Thorpe Park's Facebook page, and the 'Wood you?' teaser is potentially very exciting. Apparently, the park were seen having a gander at some of the leading woodie manufactures (notably GCI and Intamin) according to some posters on other forums at recent amusement park conventions, and out of all of the Merlin parks, it would make sense for the company to build something that they would class a 'high risk' at a park such as Thorpe and gear it towards their market. Their marketing campaigns are strange but in this case, could work in order to promote a woodie. 

The response from the public has been overwhelming thus far which is extremely encouraging. Maybe the park are being serious this time round and could mark a new generation within in the UK theme park industry? Who knows. And if the woodie at Thorpe proves to be a success, we may see this type of ride popping up across other Merlin owned parks and Alton could be next in line. What would be even more exciting is the prospect of the UK landing themselves with something that could possibly on the same scale as El Toro in terms of thrills.

Surely that would be something worth waiting the best part of nearly two decades for.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Owen

Meh...as long as it was a hybrid, I'd be happy
Dom

I really do hope that thorpe park get a woodie. It would be something different as the only woodie i can think of in the south is at oakwood in south wales, and even that isnt that south. As long as they get the themeing right on it and the track layout right i reckon it would spectacular
iriderides101

josh1391 wrote:
On a whole, social media isn't outsourced! Some content maybe but not overall running for it.

Re the El toro post, this is simply customer interaction, and perhaps a little bit of audience research, but social media by no means will have access to plans until Thorpe are ready to release information to press

However- a woody would be amazing, something really different and could appeal to the whole market (kids, fams & teens) which if you read the ask Thorpe on TPM appears to be something Thorpe want to target on a small scale in the future.
Krazycoaster

Thorpe posted this on their facebook page the other day:

"Seen the new ‎#Superman film, Man of Steel? Well check out the RIDE OF STEEL in Six Flags!"

Now surely, this must be a hint at a new coaster for 2016? Most of the comments are positive saying this ride would be great for Thorpe, and I agree!
Danny

This is just screaming out to me now that Thorpe are doing their market research and looking for something that doesn't do inversions, but has plenty of air time and height. If it's not a woodie, then I hope something along the lines of Skyrush make an appearance at the park.
Alex.D

I will be happy if this new coaster either has a maximum of 2 inversions... Europes first inverting woodie anyone? Or a big hyper. As big as thorpe park can get! :) But this is starting to point out they are looking for airtime. Not inversions. :D
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97