Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
SwEDEN

Guys Thorpe has a CEILING limit of 300 foot........
Altitude

SwEDEN wrote: Guys Thorpe has a CEILING limit of 300 foot........
THANKS for SHARING...
radiskull

SwEDEN wrote: Guys Thorpe has a CEILING limit of 300 foot........
A 150ft+ intamin or a 200ft+ B&M is all that's needed, something with a nice drop and good airtime.
iriderides101

Love to see a 150ft mega lite, lots of airtime, no inversions with a th13teen style drop, but out in the open so it looks quite intimidating!
Altitude

iriderides101 wrote: ...with a th13teen style drop, but out in the open so it looks quite intimidating!
Yeah that's not going to happen.
Alex.D

It could...That would be pretty cool. I would prefer wood though!
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97
Altitude

alee289 wrote: It could...That would be pretty cool. I would prefer wood though!
How?
One, Alton Towers has a free-fall drop on a coaster, Thorpe isn't silly enough to take the magic out of Thirteen. People might just look at it and say "Oh, that's like Thirteen, let's not bother".
Two, Thorpe Park is a thrill park. A coaster with a drop like Thirteen isn't particularly intense, and the system behind the drop would allow it to be very tall as the hydraulics would be huge.
Finally, why would they make an open air drop? The machinery isn't exactly nice to look at, which is why it's concealed on Thirteen.
RollercoasterGEEK100

Guys, just face it, thorpe park wont get a woodie. It'll either be B&M, Intamin or Mack.

Credit to NemesisRider
SwEDEN

RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote: Guys, just face it, thorpe park wont get a woodie. It'll either be B&M, Intamin or Mack.
Just because the GP and I quote.... "Don't get them"..... If were not getting a wooden coaster, the only LOGICAL explanation for Thorpe is a MegaLite...... or something like Skyrush at Hershey Park...... Something that has a lot of force and yet still manages to stay relatively close to the ground.
iriderides101

SwEDEN wrote:
RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote: Guys, just face it, thorpe park wont get a woodie. It'll either be B&M, Intamin or Mack.
Just because the GP and I quote.... "Don't get them"..... If were not getting a wooden coaster, the only LOGICAL explanation for Thorpe is a MegaLite...... or something like Skyrush at Hershey Park...... Something that has a lot of force and yet still manages to stay relatively close to the ground.
Given the right communication strategy, i'm sure Thorpe could sway opinion, especially if they went for one of those new founded woodies with inversions
DrReeve

iriderides101 wrote:
SwEDEN wrote:
Given the right communication strategy, i'm sure Thorpe could sway opinion, especially if they went for one of those new founded woodies with inversions
A hybrid coaster could sway opinion any ideas on theme?
Image credit to Lewis97
RollercoasterGEEK100

iriderides101 wrote:
SwEDEN wrote:
They're not classed as woodies purely because the track is steel...

Credit to NemesisRider
themealgang

Thorpe have used some extremely dodgy marketing campaigns in recent years to promote their attractions, that as enthusiasts, have either caused us to grown or cringe. If Merlin were to ever install a next generation woodie in this country (RMC, crazy inversions, ect), Thorpe Park would be the logical place to put it. In fact, this dodgy marketing could easily be a blessing in disguise if they were to open a woodie and make every British enthusiasts dream come true. I can see them releasing a press statement to the Daily (Fail) Mail or another trashy tabloid, outlining how people have lost limbs during the test phases (similar to what occurred during The Swarm's marketing drive), and it working in their favour by raising eyebrows and getting the young target audience exited and intrigued.

When it comes to the physical ride, the woodie would need to have a visual impact for the guests; in particular with the teenage demographic. Whilst we may dream on about a fantastic airtime filled GCI, the public possibly wouldn't distinguish the difference between that and the old style wood coasters that Blackpool have. For the average Joe, on first glances, they look too similar. This is where RMC's ground-breaking designs come to play, as not only do they look insane, dangerous but have something about them which could really appeal to Thorpe's market.

Wood+Inversions=Danger. It would appear Thorpe seem to feel their target market love the idea of danger!  :lol:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Altitude

themealgang wrote: Thorpe have used some extremely dodgy marketing campaigns in recent years to promote their attractions, that as enthusiasts, have either caused us to grown or cringe.
To be honest though, enthusiasts only make less than 1% of their audience/visitors, so they really don't care if a couple of boys sat in front of a computer don't like it ;)
RollercoasterGEEK100

Altitude wrote:
themealgang wrote: Thorpe have used some extremely dodgy marketing campaigns in recent years to promote their attractions, that as enthusiasts, have either caused us to grown or cringe.
To be honest though, enthusiasts only make less than 1% of their audience/visitors, so they really don't care if a couple of boys sat in front of a computer don't like it ;)
I agree... But hopefully it isnt somehing short like The Swarm eventhough its a decent B&M...

Credit to NemesisRider
Altitude

^ Isn't the length limit of the 2015 coaster the same as Swarm (800m) ?
RollercoasterGEEK100

Altitude wrote: ^ Isn't the length limit of the 2015 coaster the same as Swarm (800m) ?
I hope its longer...  :shock:

Credit to NemesisRider
SwEDEN

RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote:
Altitude wrote: ^ Isn't the length limit of the 2015 coaster the same as Swarm (800m) ?
I hope its longer...  :shock:
Kinda Ka's track is 950 metres..... and it lasts for what... 15-20 seconds..... track length doesn't mean that much. I'm not saying it's not an important factor, i'm just saying that you shouldn't judge the duration by looking at track length.
Altitude

Well lets say we get a B&M Flyer, for instance. Air is just over 2700ft, and if the coaster is 160ft tall, it'll last like 8 seconds haha!
themealgang

RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote:
Altitude wrote:
I agree... But hopefully it isnt somehing short like The Swarm eventhough its a decent B&M...
I don't mind short track length, personally. It's what the designers do with the track that bothers me. If you look at Nemesis, for example, it is one of the shortest B&Ms in existence, but because the layout is so intense, we all find the experience memorable and incredibly enjoyable. The Swarm is okay (inverted drop is definitely a highlight) but I just wished they didn't bring the train to a halt after that final inversion; the space left over from construction could have easily lead to a more imaginative ending, but that's me being very pedantic.

Anyway, I can see Thorpe's new coaster being a shorter length than The Swarm with some sort of inversions attached. It seems to be a staple feature for the park's coasters at the moment considering the target market. How far have they got to go before they have the record for the most inversions in any theme park in the world? They have got to be close, which no wonder will be another marketing gimmick they will adopt going into the future.  I would like to see some sort of imagination going into the track layout, though for their next coaster. Merlin have proven with The Smiler this year it can be done so there is no reason why Thorpe can't do the same! 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us