Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Max

50 steps isn't exactly very long either, seems like the tunnel seen in the recent video will be the only walking involved. As for the actors, I feel like we may see some involved in the storyline, train conductors for example. Will be interesting to see how and where the demon is implemented.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Owen

Ryan.B wrote:but everyone has different steps :lol
Hence the use of the word "approximately" in my post, I would assume the figure on the board is an average rounded to the nearest round figure if this is the case. :)
Ryan.B

yeah I was joking :P I guess its done a step for 0.5m on average.
Danny

Hi guys,

I've just cleared up the topic slightly as it seems discussion got side tracked. Can we try and keep discussion relevant, ensuring all posts meet the forum guidelines before hitting submit.

Owen

The photo collection point was testing today, photo credit to Coaster Jamie on TPM.

Horras64

Looks like the ride kHz
Is testing. Wet have to remember that the minds wanted winners will also have their date moved. Otherwise they're moving it for nothing of its ready for them.
iamradam
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, Oxfordland, United Oxdom, Oxfordonia, Planet Ox

This is shaping up spectacularly. I wonder why those photo op screens have Derren sitting in them. Would one of the pictures have you sat next to him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Owen

I would think that's just a way of testing if they work at this stage :)
Martin.C

As for the 12 different experiences offered, this might seem obvious to many already, but it's only just occurred to me.

The ride carriage has 60 seats, right? On each side there are 30 seats facing inwards just like the underground. Now, if you look at the logo for the ride, it is essentially 5 people holding shoulders together.

So with this in mind, there must be 6 rows of 5 seats on both sides of the carriage, all of which together make up the 60 seats. So, for every 5 seats down the carriage on either side, those 5 people will experience the same VR content, but the other 11 remaining groups of 5 experience something different, hence the 12 different experiences offered.

If this is true, I would imagine they organise you into groups of 5 beforehand and when you board the train, you sit into the designated seats they told you to sit in earlier.

That is what significance the logo must have on the ride experience I reckon.

Last edited by Martin.C on Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
KoasterKraver

Martin.C wrote:As for the 12 different experiences offered, this might seem obvious to many already, but it's only just occurred to me.

The ride carriage has 60 seats, right? On each side there are 30 seats facing inwards just like the underground. Now, if you look at the logo for the ride, it is essentially 5 people holding shoulders together.

So with this in mind, there must be 6 rows of 5 seats on both sides of the carriage, all of which together make up the 60 seats. So, for every 5 seats down the carriage on either side, those 5 people will experience the same VR content, but the other 11 remaining groups of 5 experience something different, hence the 12 different experiences offered.

If this is true, I would imagine they organise you into groups of 5 beforehand and when you board the train, you sit into the designated seats they told you to sit in earlier.

That is what significance the logo must have on the ride experience I reckon. Apologies if this has been talked about already, it's only just occurred to me!

I personally think your correct, we'll just have to wait and see then.
Owen

The only issue with the theory is that it's been said that you won't experience the same thing as the person sat next to you. :)
KoasterKraver

Owen wrote:The only issue with the theory is that it's been said that you won't experience the same thing as the person sat next to you. :)
Can you post this please
archie.mm

KoasterKraver wrote:
Owen wrote:The only issue with the theory is that it's been said that you won't experience the same thing as the person sat next to you. :)
Can you post this please
It was said ages ago, when Derren was first announced.
Owen

Derren has also said "You ride with friends but you experience it alone" on multiple occasions :)
KoasterKraver

I probably heard this then, but all this information, too much!
salamanderman

If this will be most people's first experience of vr , how will they stop people,ahem, "throwing up"
Ttsp's resident psychopath and coaster enthusiast
Aidan Lowe

salamanderman wrote:If this will be most people's first experience of vr , how will they stop people,ahem, "throwing up"
Because this attraction doesn't seem to offer a lot of physical movement the likelihood of people throwing up will be slim, being seated will most likely help as well. Only people who are generally queasy I'd imagine are the most vulnerable.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
swooddow

On a side note, having never personally ever experienced VR before , why can it have the effect of dizzyness and making you feel sick ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sawboss

It's the difference between what your eyes are seeing is happening and what your balance is telling you is happening, same as reading in a car can make some people feel sick because their body feels that they're moving but their eyes don't see any movement.

I've used VR a little bit and everytime it's given me a subtle feeling of travel sickness after a while. That's cos generally I was playing first person games and running around, but my body didn't feel any movement. If you were sitting down and not really being moved around in real life of VR then it shouldn't really have much effect.
Last edited by Sawboss on Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owen

It's because of when you're seeing something but you're body isn't moving in sync with it your brain gets confused and you get a bit queasy (I think not 100%). It happens the other way around to done as well, like when looking at your phone in a moving car.

EDIT: That's very strange Sawboss, very similar examples as well! :lol