Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
W@LLI$

One thing that is playing on my mind is that is it scarier now??
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/4791-cawallis123/"]Image[/url]
starbugger1303

The ride is scarier now, with senses of panic (I personally did)

Right, heres  what has improved. I have copied this from what I sent to my friend of Facebook so excuse the bad grammar.
Basically, they've added a new pre show into the batching area, explaining the story a bit better. The cave is much more atmospheric, with more sirens and warning lights. The main chamber, is absolutely brilliant! There are new sound effects, such as hearbeats and electronic bleeping. They play the original briefing (you know, "The egg is constantly being monitored").Then theres an electricity surge, with a slight small explosion, flashing strobes. The room goes into darkness, you hear squelching, cracking and more water is sprayed on your face. The lights go up, the egg has cracked. Theres more roaring from the monster. You Drop.Nothing is new down in the cavern. You get brought back up with immense strong strobes and sirens. The exit lift is slightly the same but with new sound effects and you plunge into total darkness
Its improved so much!
Tbh, it feels like a totally different attraction, to what it did on opening day! :D
Last edited by starbugger1303 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W@LLI$

starbugger1303 wrote: The ride is scarier now, with senses of panic (I personally did)

Right, heres  what has improved. I have copied this from what I sent to my friend of Facebook so excuse the bad grammar.
Basically, they've added a new pre show into the batching area, explaining the story a bit better. The cave is much more atmospheric, with more sirens and warning lights. The main chamber, is absolutely brilliant! There are new sound effects, such as hearbeats and electronic bleeping. They play the original briefing (you know, "The egg is constantly being monitored").Then theres an electricity surge, with a slight small explosion, flashing strobes. The room goes into darkness, you hear squelching, cracking and more water is sprayed on your face. The lights go up, the egg has cracked. Theres more roaring from the monster. You Drop.Nothing is new down in the cavern. You get brought back up with immense strong strobes and sirens. The exit lift is slightly the same but with new sound effects and you plunge into total darkness
Its improved so much!
Tbh, it feels like a totally different attraction, to what it did on opening day! :D
:shock: OMG! It sounds amazing now, really can't wait now! Riding it on the 14th :D
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/4791-cawallis123/"]Image[/url]
Blaze

Brilliant! If this is what they can do in a week and a half, this time next year it should be brilliant!

Hope they don't just stop here and carry on making improvements.
DeadJack5

Very postitive news today  :D can't wait now to ride it for the first time in the coming weeks I hope it is a great ride and has all the features and additional preshows added, it would be a brilliant addition to forbidden valley, Alton towers can do it  :D
mrbrightside

This is all sounds brilliant. It's fantastic that Alton are putting this much effort in to increase the satisfaction with the ride. Give it a few more weeks and who knows what will happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Blaze

Maybe the terrible reaction it got could turn out to be a blessing in disguise, forcing them into making many improvements and alterations that they wouldn't have bothered with at all if the ride had been better received.
starbugger1303

Here's a video I filmed today, of the slightly improved exit elevator. As you can see, the whole lift plunges into complete darkness!

:D
Last edited by starbugger1303 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voke

After riding this morning I can confirm that some changes have taken place, which did overall improve the ride experience, but what did let me down an awful lot is that neither the leg ticklers or the back pokers were working on both my rides today. Which disappointed me. I guess the next step is to make sure that the effects are fully operational as soon as possible, even though they should have been working since opening day!

I shall be riding again next Thursday, so I'll give it another try. 
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

Did anybody else see the egg change as I did (on two rides) today?
King Nemesis

Yes is changes whilst you are still up on the top level.
First thing before you enter is Metal Detectors! Really cool addition. (Most likely there before but my memory is hazy)
Okay went into the batching room and there are two TV's angled towards each side.
Here a short video is played explaining what has been found, the original back story of unearthing nemesis and how they tamed it. Also included that below the level we were visiting was a nest of eggs but was too volatile to visit so they brought one egg up for all to see. Was nice and tied up any loose ends for the ride itself and its older brother (more like cousins)
Into the lift and we were in lift 1, the lift vibrated that added a sense of going down.
Into the observation chamber through a very dark cave path and behold the phalanx's "safe" discovery, the Nemesis baby egg in the middle of the room, and within it was a pulsating glow.
We took our designated seats and was informed about the egg but wait.. Power surge!
the lights cut out slowly and then darkness.. Noises are heard and the lights come back on thanks to the trusty back up generator. The egg is now broken.
Power surge again! The beast screams and noises are heard around us.
DROP into the forbidden cavern and the prodders and leg ticklers kick in.
The lights go out and we are raised to the surface and strobes are going off and we are ordered into the exit lift.
The lift closes in a flash and we are escaping, thank god safe! BANG! CRASH! darkness. The lift starts shaking and moving until the lights come back on and part of the roof and wall has been pulled down from the lift, we are then ordered to get out fast and thus is Sub terra
Last edited by King Nemesis on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean

I visited today directly after visiting Europa Park, and was very pleased that the whole ride is different.

It's 100% better now, each area has been improved so much it's fairly solid now and certainly makes sense now!

The exit lifts still need to be looked at, as while they have changed I don't think they have much impact as they did.

One question springs to mind....

Why wasn't it like this from day one???
Last edited by Dean on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkside

See, without adding anything, they've improved it already (just changing the order of the drop etc).

Keep the improvements coming!
Dean

They have 2 x Sony LCD TV's for the pre-show film...

Which gives it a good start... :)
King Nemesis

Dean wrote: They have 2 x Sony LCD TV's for the pre-show film...

Shh... There not Sony...

(Covered all branding on TV with black duct tape.. poorly as you can clearly see S-O-N-Y)
garyh

Riding it for the first time on Tuesday I really enjoyed the ride.  The TV screens in the queue line told the story and explained what the facility was about.

The lift down was done very well and the tv screen explained what we would see in "the core".  I thought the drop and the sound effects were very good, and the strobes, and "warning, red alert, evacuate, this is not a drill" that kept going with the red lights was excellent.  People on the ride were genuinely scared.  The lift up I thought was also excellent, the calmness, and then the banging on the sides of the lift, the bouncing up and down and vibrations had people screaming with fear.  It was very, very good indeed.

I wished I had experienced it on opening day to compare it now to then, but as it is now, it is a very good experience indeed.
darkside

King Nemesis wrote:
Dean wrote: They have 2 x Sony LCD TV's for the pre-show film...

Shh... There not Sony...

(Covered all branding on TV with black duct tape.. poorly as you can clearly see S-O-N-Y)
Why would they need to do that?
garyh

Its advertising for Sony, and Sony wouldnt have paid them for advertising their tellies, so they tape over the names , same as Big Bro where they blur our the names of brands.
Coaster_Dude

garyh wrote: Its advertising for Sony, and Sony wouldnt have paid them for advertising their tellies, so they tape over the names , same as Big Bro where they blur our the names of brands.
Not quite true, on TV there are rules about brand names being given undue promenance which doesn't translate over to Alton Towers.

Alton Towers will have done it to maintain some of the 'fantasy' of it all, rather than have big brand names all over.
mrbrightside

Coaster_Dude wrote:
garyh wrote: Its advertising for Sony, and Sony wouldnt have paid them for advertising their tellies, so they tape over the names , same as Big Bro where they blur our the names of brands.
Not quite true, on TV there are rules about brand names being given undue promenance which doesn't translate over to Alton Towers.

Alton Towers will have done it to maintain some of the 'fantasy' of it all, rather than have big brand names all over.
I don't think he meant it in that way.

By having "SONY" there, the brand is getting free advertising and exposure. Towers don't want to give a company free advertising so they tape up the brand name.
ImageImage