Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Voke

If this is true, then we should get excited. This is what Projection Mapping can look like if done well :-

:)
AstroDan

The Wodan queue line issue has since been rectified, Chris, presuming you mean the few bits of mapping that were out of place?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
MattsDesigns

iain wrote: What is the possibility of a screen under the floor of the exit lift? Possibly looking down the lift shaft. Dont know how they would integrate it, but thats not my job! Bit far fetched maybe?
Don't know whether you are asking whether its possible or whether its the thing they are working on but to do that would be easy enough. You'd use this glass Image and put a big LCD underneath. Video is off floor, then the floor getting prized open. You could not have the floor shake like it does though. Interesting idea though and since you are forced into a narrow field of view you may even be able to use a lenticular 3D screen.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Bunbury

Yeah, because when you install something like that, you definitely put it in a shipping crater.
MattsDesigns

You should really read the post properly before being that rude.
Bunbury

Sorry, was a bit rude. I think that's probably a bit far fetched though, as iain said. Digital mapping and virtual reality shafts and the like are both very expensive and take a long time to implement and programme. I don't think we'll see anything like that, unfortunately, but would like to turn up at the park next week and be proved wrong. I think it's more likely we'll see something simple, but effective, given the short time frame, and the fact it's just a shipping container.
MattsDesigns

Its ok. Most likely it is something small, possibly what was rumored about adding drops. I was just talking about ideas cause its good to have ideas circulating and developing between people.

It probably happens quite a lot that an idea will bounce around people and communities various people adding and changing it - then some bright spark finally writes a patent and sells it. I know I probably wont own a themepark or ever make it into those few who have some input so thats why I share any half decent idea I have.
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Mon May 21, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jammydodger

Just a general query, was this shipping container originally where the shop was supposed to be? Because if not how come they didn't have to apply for additional planning permission?
Nightfall

It is in almost the same place. However the new container is in direct contact with the wall while the other one was going to be slightly further forward (so that you passed through it once you had your bags not directly from the ride building). This is actually more accurate to the original plans than the ride was without it so I don't see why they should need more permission. Anyway in Alton Towers case small changes can be made without additional consent (otherwise the current N:ST Unit wouldn't have been allowed).

As for what's inside this extension I actually think its main purpose is to make the lift exits darker. Whatever they're adding is most likely going to be right as you exit the lifts.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Sazzle

I'm not saying there will be projection mapping inside the container, not at all!

With a weeks worth of solid work thanks to the closure, I'd like to think there would be a number of substantial improvements! I'm keeping my expectations low, however :P.

Projection mapping takes precision and time, yes, but didn't someone say a projector was spotted in the chamber a number of weeks ago across from Tower Four? I never saw it myself and so won't add weight to that, though.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Nightfall

If they use projection mapping, especially if they use it to enhance the feeling that a creature is lurking in the shadows of the caves then that would be a dream come true. I'm just not quite willing to believe Alton would do something like this yet. It seems like quite a big addition for something that wasn't originally planned and I believe good projection mapping is still quite expensive. But this would definitely add a lot to what is already there.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Bunbury

It doesn't necessarily need to be map based projection. Just a projection might do the trick.
JoshC

I was on park today and got a look inside the container, and in my opinion the mesh fencing in there reminds me of the strobe maze at the end of Terror of the Towers, and the room that's in is pretty small considering how good it is :) and I think we can pretty much rule out having multiple drops, as the gondolas need to lock into place again before being dropped so it would take ages to have a second drop which would make the ride seem long and disjointed.
James

JoshC wrote:I think we can pretty much rule out having multiple drops, as the gondolas need to lock into place again before being dropped so it would take ages to have a second drop which would make the ride seem long and disjointed.
Actually you're completely wrong there.

The current sequence is programmed to drop once then lock into place. ABC can reprogram this (if Alton Towers/Merlin request it) so it drops twice then locks. So the new sequence would go: restraints lock, show, drop 1, show, rise (no locking), drop 2, show, rise, lock, restraints unlock.

It could easily be implemented by ABC, it just involves a reprogram of the show and drop sequence, easy enough to do and test within a week if Alton wished to do it.
Jammydodger

How plausible do you think it would be to retrofit ventilated flooring? If they did this perhaps the drop would appear more forceful with less resistance from the floor panel?
Coaster_Dude

I think changing the drop floor to a mesh would ruin the surprise of dropping to anyone who doesn't know what to expect. walking over a mesh could give away the surprise. I also imagine there's a lot more structure underneath the floor to allow people to walk over it, which would then become visible.
JoshC

James wrote:
JoshC wrote:I think we can pretty much rule out having multiple drops, as the gondolas need to lock into place again before being dropped so it would take ages to have a second drop which would make the ride seem long and disjointed.
Actually you're completely wrong there.

The current sequence is programmed to drop once then lock into place. ABC can reprogram this (if Alton Towers/Merlin request it) so it drops twice then locks. So the new sequence would go: restraints lock, show, drop 1, show, rise (no locking), drop 2, show, rise, lock, restraints unlock.

It could easily be implemented by ABC, it just involves a reprogram of the show and drop sequence, easy enough to do and test within a week if Alton wished to do it.
I'm pretty sure that the gondolas are pulled town by a cable so they will need to be secured back into place before being dropped again, and quite a few staff who work on the ride are under the same impression. I think that ABC are tweaking the system so that there is a longer pause between the drop and being lifted back up again, to allow for something more substantial to happen in the pit. But hey, that's just my opinion.
Ripsaw Raver

if there is two drops implemented i seriosly hope they add something down there too appear different i.e Drop1 Eggs up -strobes roaring creaking metal Drop2- eggs hatched, alien in there or my biggest hope somthing with the proximetly of certain animatronics on HP-FJ.. when  you drop down you need somthing to make you jump not just another assault with shitty air jet whips, you need a reason to make people want to get out... as of the possibilty of a scaremaze ending do not forget that Hiede Park...MERLIN...have been making the Krake Maze which i imagine has rather close effects, somthing which we could see in subterra.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Lucieloo

Possibly a silly dumb question but I take it there is no way they can make the drop bigger without digging further into the ground?? This was one of the comments we made when we answered the market research questions that the drop wasn't as big as we expected it to be?.. !
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
AstroDan

They could not make the drop bigger without significant changes. These would require a lot of extra cost and longer term closures.