Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Tom G

RustyRider wrote: The vents give off the perception of being underground NOT a larger ride area, hence the rides slogan "your worst nightmare, underground".
They give the impression that the underground area you are about to visit is going to be much larger than the area of the building you can see above ground.
Blaze

When looking at criticism, we should focus on people disappointed with the ride, not that the ride is not a coaster.

As for the vents, a)what could they have done instead? They're clearly fake and they make the queue area more realistic and more interesting. b)it's a theme park, they make stuff up.
Dar

aru wrote: From the POV it seems that the ride takes some time to rise back up to the top floor. Does anyone know why? If this can be overcome this is a prime opportunity to throw in an extra jolt, combined with some effects.

I feel that the ride does urgency and panic really well, but after the drop there is a dead period where just a bit of a kick would finish it off. What do you all think?  :D
It's just a feature of the system unfortunately :( It's better than when first tested, I'm told that is took MUCH longer to get back up at first!
Tom G

Blaze wrote: When looking at criticism, we should focus on people disappointed with the ride, not that the ride is not a coaster.

As for the vents, a)what could they have done instead? They're clearly fake and they make the queue area more realistic and more interesting. b)it's a theme park, they make stuff up.
We're talking about people's negative reactions - it's appropriate to discuss their thought processes and try to understand this backlash and all the reasons that are contributing to it.

Your second point isn't worth responding to.
CoasterCrazyChris

Blaze wrote: When looking at criticism, we should focus on people disappointed with the ride, not that the ride is not a coaster.

Although that's another idea they nicked from X-Sector.

Just sayin'.
Blaze

Dar wrote:
aru wrote: From the POV it seems that the ride takes some time to rise back up to the top floor. Does anyone know why? If this can be overcome this is a prime opportunity to throw in an extra jolt, combined with some effects.

I feel that the ride does urgency and panic really well, but after the drop there is a dead period where just a bit of a kick would finish it off. What do you all think?  :D
It's just a feature of the system unfortunately :( It's better than when first tested, I'm told that is took MUCH longer to get back up at first!
It's a chain that pulls it back up, right? If it is I imagine there'd be some sort of anti-roll back (or in this case, drop-back) device. If it's a cable system then a jolt or something could be programmed in. With a chain I'm not so sure.
Tom G wrote:

We're talking about people's negative reactions - it's appropriate to discuss their thought processes and try to understand this backlash and all the reasons that are contributing to it.

Your second point isn't worth responding to.
They can't exactly respond to people thinking it's a coaster. If people say there's not enough effects, they can fix that, if people say the story isn't explained well enough, they can fix that. If someone says they expected a rollercaster, then they're, as Nightfall put it, probably lacking a few brain cells.
CoventryBee

I rode it today and honestly...if I was told the reviews from opening day now, I wouldn't believe them. I know it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea...but some people are going to like it...and I fall into the latter. I LOVED the whole experience! I think it's brilliant.
mrbrightside

I was already a fan of the potential and effort in the ride when visiting last week and like many others noticed it was lacking a spark. Now I am so excited to ride again! The spark may have started to be uncovered!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Coaster_Dude

Blaze wrote:
It's a chain that pulls it back up, right? If it is I imagine there'd be some sort of anti-roll back (or in this case, drop-back) device. If it's a cable system then a jolt or something could be programmed in. With a chain I'm not so sure.
I can't imagine any system to lift a drop tower that would prevent you adding in another drop, if it's a chain directly on the passenger car then the anti-rollbacks must be bypass-able in order to do the drop in the first place.
aru

Coaster_Dude wrote:
Blaze wrote:
I can't imagine any system to lift a drop tower that would prevent you adding in another drop, if it's a chain directly on the passenger car then the anti-rollbacks must be bypass-able in order to do the drop in the first place.
My thoughts also. It is a very inflexible system if it doesn't allow for multiple drops..
The Psychoaster

Benzin wrote:
Tom G wrote:
thefatone wrote: TomG - How on earth can you gauge the "negative reaction" when you haven't ridden it, nor have you stood by the exit of the attraction to see how people are reacting.
I have my sources.

These changes appear to have taken the edge off slightly, but people are still ultimately disappointed by a smaller-than-Thirteen drop, a short experience and no rollercoaster.
There were a few shaken people leaving the ride, including a young girl leaving the batching point in tears, also supporting the 12A marketing stuff...
To be fair, that really does depend on the person. I saw a girl who couldn't have been more than about 8 years old crying at the exit of the RMT.
thefatone

Coaster_Dude wrote: I can't imagine any system to lift a drop tower that would prevent you adding in another drop, if it's a chain directly on the passenger car then the anti-rollbacks must be bypass-able in order to do the drop in the first place.
Most towers which drop multiple times or bounce like shoot'n'drops and frog hoppers are all cable based. They're designed to freely and easily lift and drop.

Sub terras top loading towers are chains. I can imagine that it could cause a lot of damage to the system to drop halfway up - plus, as the drop itself would then only be literally around 4 feet, you'd barely feel it. I think the exit lifts "drop" would still have more of an impact than a second drop in the physical ride hardware.
TB2

Tom G wrote: I have my sources.

These changes appear to have taken the edge off slightly, but people are still ultimately disappointed by a smaller-than-Thirteen drop, a short experience and no rollercoaster.
I'm sure these disappointed people just got off the ride, said ah well, and went and had a go on Nemesis, were amazed and that was the end of the story. These sources cannot gauge the opinion of 800 odd people getting off the ride every hour. On the strength of my ride, the response was overly positive. Considering the changes that have happened in two weeks, the ride can only go from strength to strength.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Tom G

Let's hope you're right.
MattsDesigns

I think 1 effect (along with all the other surprise elements) that was lost on most of us here was the fact that some people must believe they are going to up rather than down? Did anyone think that was going to happen?
I even wondered when I got in there "how is this going to go down when theres a floor here?" I actually worried that floor was going to disengage but not properly :(
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Coaster_Dude

I would have thought that for anyone going on with absolutely no prior knowledge of the ride, the drop would be a complete surprise. If anything, the only effect that wouldn't be a surprise would be the water as when I went on there was so much on the lapbar and all over the floor it was fairly obvious we'd be getting at least slightly wet!
siralgenon

I quick review of Sub-Terra from today (7/4/12)

After hearing about all the news of the ride being improved on over the last week as was very excited to try it out again today, to see what had changed. Although there are some very good changes im afraid to say the ride is still not working correctly. The central egg in the 'core' changes from the full egg to the broken egg while all of the lights are on, therefore completely ruining the effect, and the lights are still not working in the bottom pit, therefore you can't see what's in the middle. I went on the attraction twice today, once in the morning and once in the afternoon and both times it was exactly the same.

Changes:

-'Scanners' at the entrance are now working and bleep every time someone walks through.
-Black flaps have now been added behind the scanners therefore the batching area is now dark.
-The new TV screens in the batching area give more information about the discovered egg and the nest below, this video is brilliant however guests are stood watching the Phalanx Logo flip around the screen for about 10mins before the video begins. Also previous announcements have been removed. These could still play while waiting for the videos to begin?
-The 'entry' elevators are now more turbulent but I think are less realistic than before as the floor just bounces up and down
-'Escape' elevators are much, much better than before and certainly strike fear into the unsuspecting guests.

Overall a lot has been done to improve the attraction and most has been welcomed by everyone. However there is still a lot to be done before the attraction can be classed as completed. Great to see the new changes though!  :D
Last edited by siralgenon on Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean

Seeing the egg flip must be random, as it's been fine each time i've been on it since the changes...
King Nemesis

Was fine for me too.
thefatone

Was fine for the entire three times I was on it yesterday, also.

Lights down the bottom have always worked for me. If you can just about see something infront of you, it means its working..

If you've seen egg rotate with lights on, then eek. However it's not always done this.