Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
wburgess

Dom wrote:
wburgess wrote:
Tommy wrote: Let's hope they continue making little improvements then! :)
Going on track record... They won't.

I don't feel for Alton one bit... they decide and plan what new attractions are going in. Where has my magic gone  :(
Clearly though, for a medium investment, they've put a fair amount of effort in, with the staff, viral stuff and all the different little things. They just don't seem to understand what the majority of people who visit want, they hype their rides up beyond belief, but never in a million years will they be able to live up to that.

Problem is, next year we're gonna get exactly the same, the ride may actually be thrilling however, but they do themselves no favours. They need to stop with all this stupid 'scariest ride ever' malarkey, because if they don't do this, peoples expectations won't get this high. In the long term, this, as well as Th13teen will become good assets to the park, but in the short term it essentially results in them shooting themselves in the foot.
Hype or No Hype, a poor ride is poor!

And by the sounds of it poorer than most people expected. Also medium investment does not automatically mean medium quality ride.

It just beggars belief that after so much effort, this is the product.
MattsDesigns

thanks for the towers nerd link

I wonder what the que is clocking right now
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
jb19852

read some more tweets and postings from towers nerd, it just seems that we have to accept the days of Nemesis, Oblivion and damn even AIR are over now, and get used to the fact that quite simply were not going to get world class attractions. 

I didnt expect much tbh as we all knew what we were getting ride wise, but i at least expected them to go all out with the experience, it seems it just hasnt happened.  Shame.
TB2

jb19852 wrote: read some more tweets and postings from towers nerd, it just seems that we have to accept the days of Nemesis, Oblivion and damn even AIR are over now, and get used to the fact that quite simply were not going to get world class attractions. 
I just don't believe that for a second. The parks intentions are good but the publicity machine is working completely against the ride. The more you tell people that a ride is rated 12+ or that it is the scariest ride ever, the more it will lose out because no matter what, the ride will not live up to the hype.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

DannyNewbro

They could still improve the ride by adding something like a rope that could pull down the car with the people in and the drop will therefore be much more thrilling
jb19852

TB2 wrote:
jb19852 wrote: read some more tweets and postings from towers nerd, it just seems that we have to accept the days of Nemesis, Oblivion and damn even AIR are over now, and get used to the fact that quite simply were not going to get world class attractions. 
I just don't believe that for a second. The parks intentions are good but the publicity machine is working completely against the ride. The more you tell people that a ride is rated 12+ or that it is the scariest ride ever, the more it will lose out because no matter what, the ride will not live up to the hype.
Thats a very good point of view, but even so I dont think we will ever see installations quite as good as that
cool_boy_jon

Im not sure why everyone is judging Terry by its cover and peoples reviews. First of all almost all of us havn´t even ridden Terry. Second I think everyone should stop being so negative about it and just wait till they´ve actually ridden it. I for one am not listening to any reviews because I know that almost all of them are going to be negative. Enthusiasts, these days, are so hard to please with new and more intense rollercoasters coming out every year  that Theme parks are working extremely harder and harder every year and when a great Theme park let a few people down and they go and post it on the internet, the whole internet will be buzzing with stories about how it is a complete let down.  Just give it a chance and stop being so negative!!!!
The only thing I like better than roller coasters,Alton Towers, Towers times and Theme Parks is HARRY POTTER, yes, I am a Potterhead and proud of it! :)

MattsDesigns

You have to admit its a small ride - so there is only so much that can happen. You can't be comparing it to the giants of the park, its more like ripsaw and those rides.

On a positive note I don't know if anyone else is getting this, but it seems like there is great attempt towards the rides story and branding - Like the actors and how you have 1 lift which leads to another bigger lift and how it ties in with many other rides of the park, and isn't just completely random.

Lifts are always something that is coming up in my dreams -and probably other people - interesting, if I start saying that to people they might actually start to think the ride is better than they would have otherwise thought.
jb19852

^ no actually, lets face it the last few installations have been substandard.

I am still open minded, but the vibes arent good and the images coming through arent that great....I am now prepared to be disapointed whereas before i was prepared to be pleasently suprised
DiogoJ42

The last decent ride built by Towers was Oblivion. I hate to say it, but it's true. There will be fanboys who think Alton can do no wrong of course, but the rest of us can just go to Thorpe instead and get on with our lives.
Last edited by DiogoJ42 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krug

DiogoJ42 wrote: The last decent ride built by Towers was Oblivion. I hate to say it, but it's true. There will be fanboys who think Alton can do no wrong of course, but the rest of us can just go to Thorpe instead and get on with our lves.
I think oblivion is poor.  I do not enjoy a 10 second ride.
SW7 looks to be pretty decent, thats what ive been lookin forward to all along, don't care about filler year.
cool_boy_jon

What about Air and Rita!? Air is amazing and amizingly decent and Rita isnt that bad !-_-! People!!!! Stop being negative about Alton towers!!!
The only thing I like better than roller coasters,Alton Towers, Towers times and Theme Parks is HARRY POTTER, yes, I am a Potterhead and proud of it! :)

DiogoJ42

We have every right to be negative, just as you have every right to be positive. ;)
cool_boy_jon

DiogoJ42 wrote: We have every right to be negative, just as you have every right to be positive. ;)
Not Sure what to say to that one... :(...  I just dont want everyone to be saying its bad before riding it. Then they come off the ride and start saying how good it is... even though i highly doubt that would happen... i am sure it would happen to at least one person...:)

The Crab of Nemesis

Right, ive been on Sub-Terra this morning and here's my view.

Story - great
Staff - impeccable and in great character
Theming - best Towers have done in years
Experience - a great overall package
Ride - fun, not as thrilling as I hoped and short, but fun

I won't deny I was left thinking 'oh, that's it' - but the point is so much of this ride is brilliant and the best I've seen from Towers since the 90's.

I am disappointed it wasn't longer and the end felt rushed, but FFS please stop saying it is dreadful and a waste of time, especially when most on this topic have not even ridden it!
ImageSince 2008
DiogoJ42

So far it seems to be the oposite. People have been raving about how good it looks, only to come off saying it is dire.
cool_boy_jon

Finally!! A good review!!! Cant wait to ride it now!!

krug

The Crab of Nemesis wrote: Right, ive been on Sub-Terra this morning and here's my view.

Story - great
Staff - impeccable and in great character
Theming - best Towers have done in years
Experience - a great overall package
Ride - fun, not as thrilling as I hoped and short, but fun

I won't deny I was left thinking 'oh, that's it' - but the point is so much of this ride is brilliant and the best I've seen from Towers since the 90's.

I am disappointed it wasn't longer and the end felt rushed, but FFS please stop saying it is dreadful and a waste of time, especially when most on this topic have not even ridden it!
Can you say anything about the ticklers?
Is there a point/reason for the drop?
Glad you enjoyed the ride :)
Last edited by krug on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Passant

apparently the ticklers aint working today, according to towersnerd live...
MattsDesigns

cool_boy_jon wrote:
DiogoJ42 wrote: We have every right to be negative, just as you have every right to be positive. ;)
Not Sure what to say to that one... :(...  I just dont want everyone to be saying its bad before riding it. Then they come off the ride and start saying how good it is... even though i highly doubt that would happen... i am sure it would happen to at least one person...:)
You're absolutely right. The pictures you're seeing aren't really telling you anything about the other 4 senses are gonna experience.

Also seeing sets/props in real life is different to seeing it in pictures. I don't know if people have seen a Dalek or such in real life - but its always 10 times better that the 2D presentation on the TV screen.