TTF Euro Coaster Poll 2011-12

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
AstroDan

What exactly is good about the stengel dive? You tip to the side, and!?

I rode Goliath last August and it is probably the most I have been let down on a major coaster. The airtime was mainly floater, aside from the hills at the end.

Massively overrated.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
CF1

I am also not a Fan of the Ride, its not Bad but really overhyped, but the Stengel Dive give me a good feeling.
SAM93

1. Katun - High, Fast, Multiple Inversions.... This thing looks fantastic, the definite runaway winner of the group for me!

2. Troy - Well, what can I say, this looks like my idea of heaven, filled with air time, and the charm of a true woodie, I would do anything to get on this thing tbh. It is also a truly beautiful ride as well!

3. Raptor - A great looking B&M, with fantastic themeing, and a very decent layout for first of it's kind, though it just doesn't quite cut it against Katun and Troy.

4. Colorado Adventure* - Totally amazing, for a family mine train ride, it's certainly head and shoulders above the rest, this ride is amazing, the themeing is average, and could be much better in places admittedly, but the coaster itself is fantastic and incredibly forceful, it actually pains me to have to rank it this low!

5. Goliath - Looks great, however in comparison with it's German counterpart it doesn't appear to have the same Umpfff until right at the very end :(

6. The Ultimate* - Just total madness, I have a real soft spot for this ride, it is so unique it's untrue!

7. Tonnerre de Zeus - A long layout, however despite rave reviews it somewhat fails to impress me, so I have placed it fairly low, though all could change where I to ride it myself

8. Anubis - On of the Gerstlauer's I would love to ride, fantastic looking layout, that's long and looks to pack a punch

9. Poseidon* - A great ride, really well themed, however it just doesn't cut it in this group

10. Kanonen - A rather naff looking Intamin Accelerator, need I say more.
Rob L

This is an incredibly tough group and it has taken me a while to decide on my final rankings. However this is what I have gone for:

10. The Ultimate - shouldn't have made it even this far in the competition in my opinion, and that is all I shall say on the matter!

9. Poseidon - looks decent and has some really nice theming but it is way out of its depth in this group.

8. Tonnerre de Zeus - maybe a little harsh here but I have heard very mixed things about this coaster and overall it does not excite me. I would rather ride all those that I have placed above it. I do however hope that this coaster surprises me when I ride it next year.

7. Kanonen - I wish I could place this higher but I can't. It looks brilliant considering how compact it is, I'd love to ride!

6. Colorado Adventure - looks like a very good and at times intense family coaster. It is just a shame that the theming seems a little hit and miss; some is fantastic but then you have the awful tin shed!

5. Anubis - this looks awesome in my opinion, one of the best Gerstlauers out there. I'd imagine it's really good fun to ride.

4. Goliath - this may not look as good as EGF however I still think this is a great looking coaster and I would really like to ride it. Could do with a re-paint though!

3. Raptor - this does look like an outstanding new addition to Gardaland. The theming is great and there are some really nice near miss elements. I can't really rate it any higher though as I don't have a clue how it will ride, and track and train only I'm not sure this is worthy of being any higher than third.

2. Troy - I like the look of this more and more with every POV that I see. Looks like a fantastic woodie.

1. Katun - the only winner of the group for me, it looks immense. As I have said previously this is similar to Montu and Alpengeist, both of which I love so for me this also has to be up there.

I think Katun, Raptor and Troy will definitely go through however that forth place is really up for grabs I feel. The results are going to be very interesting.

:)

AstroDan

Results

Q1 Raptor, Gardaland 317
Q2 Katun, Mirabilandia 315
Q3 Troy, Roverland 299
Q4 Goliath, Walibi Holland 260

5 Tonnerre de Zeus, Parc Astérix 232
6 Colorado Adventure, Phantasialand 192
7 The Ultimate, Lightwater Valley 170
8 Anubis, Plopsaland 167
9 Kanonen, Liseberg 129
10 Poseidon, Europa-Park 119

TOTAL VOTES: 40.

A fantastic vote turnout for this round which, although a way off the year record so far of 59, it's up from the low 30's in recent stages.

The big news here is that The Ultimate, which has finished 2nd for two consecutive years, has limped out in 7th place. Although the ride received four top scores, it ended up with plenty of near bottom ones, too. As a result, it will probably be the years biggest "drop" when the final tables are published in March. New-for-2011 is Raptor - which has sensationally come from nowhere to beat one of the highest scoring coasters on the Hawker Poll - Katun - into first place. The new B&M coaster clearly a popular choice with TTF and looks to be one of the favourites to win the poll this year. Troy scored vey well, the GCI coaster beating the other woodie in this group, Tonnerre de Zeus - which will drop out. Goliath, the Intamin Mega Coaster, managed to get through in 4th place.

Highest & Lowest!
Raptor 10 / 2 (one person awarded this 9th place)
Katun 10 / 3 (one person awarded thus 8th place)
Troy 10 / 2 (one person awarded this 9th place)
Goliath 10 / 3 (two people awarded this 8th place)
Tonnerre de Zeus 10 / 2 (two people awarded this 8th place)
Colorado Adventure 10 / 1 (three people awarded this last place)
The Ultimate 10 / 1 (twelve people awarded this last place)
Anubis 10 / 1 (three people awarded this last place)
Kanonen 8 / 1 (six people awarded this last place)
Poseidon 10 / 1 (sixteen people awarded this last place)

NEXT ROUND BEGINS 03.02.12

Joe Koopa

Near-enough perfect results for me personally! :) Now just for the anger from The Ultimate fans.. :P
Will04

I thought that Katun would have taken the crown rather than Raptor, although I am pleased.  I was surprised by the placing of The Ultimate; below Colorado - well I never! It's certainly shaping out to be a very interesting poll this year.

Such a tough group, and only the second round as well.
John

No real surprise that the Ultimate fell here - though interestingly I suspect that by only getting 4 top placings it wouldn't even have qualified under the old system.  Shame to see it out obviously, but then that was pretty much the entire point of the new voting system :P

Shame Colorado didn't do a little better, I was hoping it might finish ahead of Big Thunder Mountain overall, but it probably won't have done with that score.
AstroDan

Just for you John, here's what it would have looked like under the old system:

1. Raptor (14)
2. Katun (12)
3. Ultimate (4)
4. Tonnerre de Zeus (3)
=5. Troy (2)
=5. Colorado Adventure (2)
=6. Goliath (1)
=6. Poseidon (1)
=6. Anubis (1)
7. Kanonen (0)

Blaze

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
AstroDan

I think the results show how fair the new system is - with regards to the fact that under the old system Tonnerre de Zeus and The Ultimate would have qualified, now they do not - because on balance of votes, Goliath and Troy did better.

Blaze

Both sets of results are disapointing. Troy shouldn't have gon eout in the old style, and as for the actual results...Jesus H Christ...
darkside

Raptor coming in at first place? :?
AstroDan

darkside wrote: Raptor coming in at first place? :?
New factor. Although I put it 4th, myself.

Wing Rider (new concept) + B&M + decent theming = popular choice,.
Last edited by AstroDan on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob L

In my opinion the 4 best coasters from this group have gone through which is very pleasing to see. This new system certainly does seem a lot fairer.

Blaze

So TTF, you've said that a Vekoma mine train ride with decent theming but a god awful, dull layout is better than the most interesting, unique and plain old insane ride in the poll.
Bote

It is a shame CA has had to leave at this stage. Like John I would have thought it had the pottential to come in ahead of Big Thunder Mountain. But then again it has been in a group which certainly gave it a good run for it's money. It leaves un here, but not in shame. In a group with the likes a Raptor, Katun, Troy, and Zeus coming 6th is no small feat :)

I am somewhat disapointed with how low Anubis has come. Whilst I didn't expect it to get through I would have thought it could have come in atleast 7th. It did still come close though, so like Colorado it leaves with its head held reasonably high :)

Glad to see The Ultimate has finally been put in it's place though if you ask me. As I said earlier I think there is way too much fanboyism surounding it, especially given some of the rides it has beaten in previous years. Dan's last post really does show how this new system is much fairer than before though, but also how rides can now be ranked much clearer. Three rides being joint 6th does not really give any indication as to what the difference is, whereas here for example we can see that Anubis beat Kanonen by a fair it, whilst it just fell short of beating The Ultimate.
Rob L

Blaze wrote: So TTF, you've said that a Vekoma mine train ride with decent theming but a god awful, dull layout is better than the most interesting, unique and plain old insane ride in the poll.
How do you think I felt seeing The Ultimate finish second for the last 2 years? This is the brilliance of opinions, we all have different ones.

Chris W

The Ultimate went out in the same way Big Thunder Mountain (which finished 4th last year) did in the last group, the people who disliked the ride outweighed those who supported it.

The voting system gives a much better balance of everyone's overall opinion :)
darkside

I can just about understand Raptor goin through, but coming top, thats crazy!?!