TTF Euro Coaster Poll 2011-12

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
AstroDan

My final vote also went to Katun, but Dragon Khan is a worthy winner. I feel that Black Mamba, whilst impeccably themed, probably is about right at number 3. Some coasters though are really overrated here...

It's not like me to put down EP coasters, but Eurosat is no way a top 10, and neither surely is Roller Coaster @ Gt. Yarmouth better than the likes of Colossos at Heide Park.

I still can't believe Colossos got no votes:

NO VOTES I TELL YOU:

:P
Chris W

I voted for Big Thunder Mountain for the following reasons:

1. Its one of the best themed rides in Europe.
2. I've found it has a really good re-rideability.
3. I love Vekoma's.

The are better rollercoasters than it but I'm not much of an inversion person I prefer a fun ride.
Anonymous

Thanks for your hard work Dan. Nice to do something intersting on closed season.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
AstroDan

Big Thunder has done incredibly well this year - finishing top 10 after not making the top 20 last year, so you should be pleased!

:D
Rob L

What a great poll it has been, thanks Dan for all the hard work. :D

I went for Katun in the final and I wasn't expecting it to finish second so I'm rather pleased. Dragon Khan is a worthy winner and does looks like a great coaster, I remember that it was the coaster I was voting for in last years poll.

caffeine_demon

was a fun poll - with more than a few surprises - I'll have to try and get on goliath this year - it looks ace!
dont look down 2005

Well Done and thanks Dan for organising this poll and I'm more than happy that Dragon Khan won. I remember when I first rode it, I was about 11, really quite something back then! And although colossus and other have beaten it inversion wise, it's still better than them imo.

I wasn't aware until quite recently that John Wardley was involved, doesn't surprise me though!
Stu

I voted for Dragon Khan as i thought i got more of a buzz and roller coaster and nice feeling etc from it than all the other coasters in the final that were there.

Though Katun looks very impresive and ace, and i may like that so much more, but i havn't ridden it so i didn't vote for it, yet it does look impressive, but Dragon Khans tight bends are quite intense, and i like the big B&M fast, smooth, floating feeling over the inversions. The Zero-G rolle is amazing on that ride to be fair, one of the bests ive been on, 2nd to Kraken though haha.

Yeah all kewl, has been some interesting results and so on. Glad you had the patience and was botherd to do it dan, appreciated.
popTART

Thanx for the doing that Dan.

I went for Katun like i voted for in a previous round. I just think its an amazing inverted coaster. Its a shame it didn't win but least it got to second. If it had to be beaten least it was by a good coaster.
evil cod

The final for me was a vote between my favourite and the one I think is the best. In the end I went for the best since it was the final, soo Black Mamba it was, for my favourite (Big Thunder) to come in the top 10 was good enough as being honest its not the best ride out there.
Joe Koopa

Thanks a bunch, AstroDan, you have no idea how much fun I had doing the poll! :D

I am also glad that on my first year doing the poll, my chosen winner did win! Dragon Khan is a great, smooth coaster which matches into it's surroundings ideally. Despite, the lack of theming during the acutal ride, it's good mix of inversions, speed & air-time make up for it. :)

John Wardley is offically a legend!

Another good thing was that no-one can claim were just being favourable over British Coasters, with Stealth only coming 10th, which it deserves.
DanB

I voted for Katun as from the POVs it does look like a better coaster than Khan.
Dragon Khan is such an ace coaster though so i'm happy its number 1. Just need to get on Katun now!

Thanks Dan, and glad to hear your doing one next year :)
Mattmash

I went for Goliath, a coaster I hope to ride in the next couple of months. Can have no complaints over the ones that beat it though, Katun and Black Mamba both look great and Dragon Kahn is my current number 1 of coasters that I've rode (admittedly that is a pathetic amount compared to some people!).

All in all some surprising results but just goes to show how much people's opinions can vary and I think overall there is something for everyone in that top 10. I too can't believe that Colossos didn't get a single vote but if I remember right it had a particuarly tough 1st round group (think I voted for EGF over it).

Anyways, was good fun and thanks for all your hard work Dan!
Luce

I still can't believe Colossos got no votes
I agree - it's my favourite woodie and it's in my top three!

But well done to Dragon Khan, an awesome ride and it's one of the other coasters in my top three :D
AstroDan

TTF’s European Rollercoaster Poll 2009/10

RULES & INFORMATION

TTF’s 3rd annual rollercoaster poll will begin this weekend. Taking 100 of the best steel and wooden rollercoaster’s from across the continent, they shall battle it out to be crowned the #1 rollercoaster on the continent - following on from Phantasialand’s themed masterpiece “Black Mamba” (2007/8) and PortAventura’s Wardley creation “Dragon Khan“(2008/9). Can anyone take the mantle away from B&M this season? With major new coasters in Europe from Intamin, Gerstlauer, Mack and others - who will make the top 10 when we reveal all in the New Year?

ROUND 1
At this stage, there will be 100 rollercoaster’s split into 10 groups. The top 5 in each group will then proceed into the next round.

ROUND 2
At this stage there will be 50 rollercoaster’s split into 5 groups. The top 4 in each group will then proceed into the next round.

SEMI FINAL
At this stage there will be 20 rollercoaster’s split into 2 groups. The top 5 in each semi final will then proceed into the next round.

FINAL
At this stage there will be 10 rollercoaster’s in 1 group. The winner will be crowned Rollercoaster of the Year and all 100 original entrants will be classified into a top-100 classification!

FAQ

How are the rollercoaster’s classified into groups?
All the rollercoaster’s, except new for 2009 coasters, are taken from the top end of Mitch Hawker’s widely acclaimed Coaster Poll. I try, where possible not to place all the top coasters from Mitch’s poll in the same Round 1 groups and I also endeavour to avoid placing more than 1 coaster from the same park in a group. Of course, this is not always possible - but I make every effort to avoid clashes. In the later rounds, I place coasters dependent on their previous round scores where possible.

My favourite rollercoaster is in a really small park that nobody will have been to! How will it ever have a chance?
This poll is very much a light hearted affair compared to the likes of Mitch Hawker and the Golden Ticket Awards. However, voters are encouraged not to simply vote for rides on which they have been. If another coaster in the group looks good - then by all means vote for it! This includes coasters in small parks - wherever they are.

How do I get some information on the coaster?
Some basic statistics on each rollercoaster will be posted in the first post of a group voting thread. There will also be a link to the RCDB page for the coaster along with a photograph. However, you are also encouraged to check out a POV of the ride by using Youtube.

There’s a mistake and a coaster has been missed out!
Let me know. And remember - this coaster is not meant to be as serious as some of the global polls.

Where is Nemesis? Or X, Y or Z coaster?
Alton Towers rollercoaster’s are not eligible for this poll. Even though Nemesis is generally the #1 voted European coaster in the Mitch Hawker poll, the idea here is to expand knowledge and let people see other rides. If we included Alton’ Towers, the results of the poll would be a foregone conclusion. So Nemesis fans - I am sorry - go take the Mitch Hawker poll instead. As for other coasters, many didn’t make the grade this year. Even if the coaster made last year’s poll, there were so many new for ‘09 coasters this year, that some just weren’t high enough on the global Hawker poll. So, if your favourite coaster didn’t make it - I am sorry.

When will it start/end?
The poll will start this weekend, along with the end of the Alton Towers 2009 season. It will end at some point in February, when the theme park at Alton Towers re-opens.

What’s the point? Nobody really cares!
If you don’t care, don’t bother. The idea is to provide some light hearted closed-season fun here on TTF.

Should I post?
Yes! In the group voting thread - one you have voted, why not say what you voted for and why? It’s interesting to see people’s views and good debate is what the forums are all about.

What do I do if I have a question that’s not answered here?
Send me a PM.
Pennywise

May I ask if Roller Coaster at Pleasure Beach Great Yarmouth will be included this year? :)
AstroDan

Yes - it just made it!

:)
Khanage

Looking forward to the commencement of this. Always enjoyable. :D
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Stu

Oh here we go again... #-o
Big Dave

Anything outside UK Im useless at, but I have been on most of the coasters in the UK so I will try and give it a go this year.