TTF Euro Coaster Poll 2011-12

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Cariba

Quick explanations as I've left it right to the last minute.
1; Black Mamba - Of all the coasters in the group this is the one I want to ride the most. Maybe a slightly controversial position here, but considering it’s been called the natural successor to Nemesis means it must be good.
2; Colossus - It’s like an old school woodie with its out and back layout, and the airtime hills and drops look great.
3; Silver Star - Airtime ahoy! Slight B&M fan vote, but this deserves to go through.
4; Piraten - It’s undeniable that this is a good ride, but something about it doesn’t excite me in the way the above do. Will go through, and rightly so.
5; iSpeed - Between this and Balder, I thought that this is more worthy finalist; it’s long, fast and a bit crazy, so makes the top 5.
6; Balder - Tad unfair but I’d rather the previous 5 go through.
7; Batman la Fuga - Intense, but yet another Batman clone. Lack of theming counts against it.
8; Dragon Khan - Worthy of the semi-final, but personally I don’t think this should go further.
9; Megafobia - Think I’ve made a mistake putting it here, but in this group it’s upstaged by better woodies.
10; Van Helsings Factory - A hugely strong showing thus far, but it’s a family ride so doesn’t make the final.
Last edited by Cariba on Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDan

Semi Final 2: RESULTS

Q1: Black Mamba 345
Q2: iSpeed 304
Q3: Silver Star 277
Q4: Piraten 258
Q5: Balder 231

6: Dragon Khan 193
7: Colossos 191
8: Batman La Fuga 162
9: Megafobia 140
10: Van Helsing's Factory 99

Observations

The top 5 were leagues ahead of the drop outs in this round. With Black Mamba winning this group, is this now a clear definition that the poll this year is between that and Blue Fire, after its victory in the first Semi Final? It'll be interesting to watch the Final and, no doubt, see how the additional votes that will no doubt come in will affect the standings. Great performances from Intamin here, too - with iSpeed, Piraten and Balder all taking a place in the top 5.

Dragon Khan, a former winner, will not come top 10 this year. A quick note for the new Gerstlauer Van Helsing's Factory - it'll be the highest placed dark coaster this year, what a brilliant performance by the new, modest budget coaster at Movie Park Germany. Strangely, VHF did score 2 top scores, whilst those same people also awarded bottom place to Batman and Silver Star respectively - highlighting the diverse range of tastes and views!

The Final will begin on Monday, 27th February 2012. So watch this space.

Highest and Lowest!
Black Mamba
15 x 10pts
1 x 3pts

iSpeed
7 x 10pts
2 x 3pts

Silver Star
7 x 10pts
1 x 1pt

Piraten
3 x 10pts
2 x 1pt

Balder
2 x 10pts
2 x 2pts

Dragon Khan
4 x 10pts
5 x 1pt

Colossos
3 x 9pts
1 x 1pt

Batman la Fuga
1 x 9pt
3 x 1pt

Megafobia
1 x 9pt
5 x 1pt

Van Helsing's Factory
2 x 10pt
23 x 1pt

:)
Last edited by AstroDan on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanY

Did you get the score wrong for iSpeed as it says it got 203 yet beat Silver Star which got 277.

Don't worry as that's the first mistake in the whole poll. :P

No surprise in the results really.

Look forward to the final. :D
AstroDan

I am out now, I think i speed got 304. Will amend as soon as possible.

Thanks for bringing to my attention.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Last edited by AstroDan on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkside

Its odd that Mamba comes top, yet La Fuga 8th, and that type of invert is considered by many as the best!
Strangely, VHF did score 2 top scores, whilst those same people also awarded bottom place to Batman and Silver Star respectively - highlighting the diverse range of tastes and views!
I'd say its more down to people being moronic :lol:
AstroDan

Black Mamba is the best themed thrill coaster in Europe, and one of the greatest themed thrill coasters anywhere in the world. Combine that with a solid layout, and it really is worthy of extremely high rankings.
Blaze

Oh dear god, did it have to win by that much?
AstroDan

Only by 41 points. It's not that much?

Blaze

Thought it said iSpeed only had 204.

:oops:
AstroDan

Blaze wrote: Thought it said iSpeed only had 204.

:oops:
It did - but underneath there was a comment saying that thre ws a mistake, just have a look back.

So don't worry, ispeed got 304! Error on my part!

AstroDan

The final is delayed and will begin on Wednesday, 29th February!

Thanks all.

:D

(Mondays just aren't a great night to be starting polls!)
Dormiens-Dave

AstwoDan wrote: The final is delayed and will begin on Wednesday, 29th February!

Thanks all.

:D

(Mondays just aren't a great night to be starting polls!)
*Throws rotten vegetables at Dan as i am an impatient git*
AstroDan

GRAND FINAL
Voting Time for this round is 5 days.

There are 10 coasters in this group. To vote, you need to rank each in order of preference from 1st  (best) to 10th (least favourite). Please remember that when voting, your user name and voting habit will be visible by the poll administrators and may be published on the forum. Both myself (poll co-ordinator) and Chris (poll technical admin) will be monitoring all voting during the poll. Keep an eye out on http://www.facebook.com/towerstimes for updates to start/end times of voting rounds, too!

1st placed coaster is awarded 10 points, 2nd is awarded 9 points etc.

Please inform yourself via the RCDB website for the relevant coaster, which will give you specs and photo's. You can also search Youtube and watch a ride Point Of View (POV) video, otherwise known as an 'onride' video! But remember, these videos often do rollercoasters, particularly those partially or entirely indoors, an injustice.

FINAL:

Black Mamba
B&M, Inverted Coaster
Phantasialand, Germany
Astro's Choice Video Clip

Blue Fire
Mack, LSM Coaster
Europa-Park, Germany

Expedition Ge Force
Intamin, Mega Coaster
Holiday Park, Germany
Astro's Choice Video

iSpeed
Intamin, Blitz
Mirabilandia, Italy

Katun
B&M, Inverted Coaster
Mirabilandia, Italy
Astro's Choice Video

Silver Star
B&M, Mega Coaster
Europa-Park, Germany
Astro's Choice Video

Raptor
B&M, Wing Coaster
Gardaland, Italy
Astro's Choice Video

Piraten
Intamin, Mega-Lite
Djurs Sommerland, Denmark
Astro's Choice Video (excuse quality)

Troy
GCI, Wooden Coaster
Toverland, Holland
Astro's Choice Video

Balder
Intamin, Wooden Coaster
Liseberg, Sweden
No Decent Off Ride Video Available.

VOTING OVER.
Last edited by AstroDan on Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightfall

So the time has come at last.

Do I vote Blue Fire or iSpeed? Where do I feel Raptor should go? does Mamba's theme alone do enough for me to warrant it a good position over the other B&Ms? Can I remember Balder well enough to not over or under hype it  :P

So many questions! I'll add my decision when I get the chance.

Nice touch with the Astro's Choice Videos :)
[align=center]Image[/align]
SAM93

I actually don't know what to do... I have a firm Set 1st, 2nd and 9th, 10th.

But what do I do with all the awesomeness in the middle! Decisions!

It's going to be a tough one!  :?
Mike

For a final, this was fairly easy for me to rank (it helps that I've viewed POVs for all coasters here when voting in previous rounds - bear in mind I haven't been on any of these personally, so am basing it on these and amount of hype alone :P)

1. Blue Fire - So smooth, apart from that last element, and having seen the trains in person, I love them, especially the restraint system and the comfyness of the seats! REALLY want to ride this and this is coming from someone who isn't a huge launched coaster fan! :D

2. Silver Star - Another one I've seen out of season but not been on myself. It does one thing, but does it amazingly well! Cant wait to ride this next month!

3. Black Mamba - in my view, the best inverted B&M that isn't at Towers - the theming is just stunning and I love the layout!

4. Raptor - Although not a massive fan of the coaster layout, I love the Wingrider as a concept, and really can't wait to ride Thorpe's!

5. EGF - Looks incredible visually and heard great things about it, but it's a difficult to judge from POVs alone in my view - hence the dead middle position.

6. Katun - Looks silky smooth, but doesn't seem to build up a huge amount of speed.

7. Piraten - Sorry! Just don't see the love for it from the POV - sure its a different experience when riding it though! Outside of my top 20 as it stands (although bear in mind, I haven't ridden any of these personally)

8. Balder - See 7.

9. Troy - See 7.

10. iSpeed - see 7.

Thanks to Ian for the sig!
Blaze

Well this is interesting

10. Silver Star
Something had to be last

9. Katun
As intense as it is, it's far too bland to excite me as much as the others

8. Black Mamba
Themeing is not enough, the ride just doesn't do anything for me, the first half is standard B&M, the second is aimless meandering.

7. iSpeed
Pretty great, but dies at the MCBR

6. EGF
Middle section is a let down, but the start and end are just incredible.

5. Balder
AIRTIME!!!

4. Troy
Perfect modern woodie. The standard all others must reach.

3. Blue Fire
It's Blue Fire. If you're on TTF, you know all about this coaster and I don't need to explain its placing.

2. Raptor
So hard to pick the winner out of this last two, but in the end, the B&M comes second for a disappointing start that doesn't really fit.

1. Piraten.
Themeless, but pure coaster bliss. A true masterpiece of design.
AstroDan

Blaze - you shock me to say the least!

You pick Raptor second, I really thought you weren't into fairly gentle/ambling coasters from B&M!

Very suprised!

Blaze

Yeah, I know. Putting the others so low then almost putting it first!

I don't know, it just seems to work and come together. It's the layout and the fact it's different that I like about it, and how well integrated it is with the ground and themeing. Unlike Mamba I think the coaster itself has enough about it.

Besides, who doesn't like surprises?

Nightfall

Blaze wrote: 7. iSpeed
Pretty great, but dies at the MCBR
While I don't necessarily disagree with you and everyone else who has said this I think it’s worth noting that the MCBR is so far through the ride you've already had more ride time than most other coasters in Europe. It also doesn't completely die, just loses the same level of ferocity. You could say similar about Nemesis although in its case that's just because the opener is so good the finish would need to be near perfect to match.
[align=center]Image[/align]