TTF Euro Coaster Poll 2011-12

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Blaze

Curve drop>loop>zero-g>cobra>weak helix into MCBR>drop>wingover>wingover>meandering>end

Exactly like all the others. And that's how we can call it formulaic. ;)
AstroDan

Blaze wrote: Curve drop>loop>zero-g>cobra>weak helix into MCBR>drop>wingover>wingover>meandering>end

Exactly like all the others. And that's how we can call it formulaic. ;)
But not all of these "formulaic" B&M Inverted Coasters are ranked top 10 year after year. So there must be something very special about Katun!

:)
Chris W

Katun reminds me of Montu, and I loved Montu. I voted it highly :)
Ritadz

Take it from someone who went on it only 8 months ago, Katun is fooking amazing. If it was slightly better themed/landscape it'd say it would be better than Nemmy and Raptor.

Also, the first drop is second to Jubilee Odessy in best non vertical drops i've experianced.
JoshC

Fair enough it follows the same route as most other B&M's, but there's something about it that makes it more appealing then other coasters. Plus alot of people voted Batman and Dragon Khan highly in the previous round, and in my opinion Dragon Khan looks alot more formulaic then Katun.
darkside

2 - Anubis: Again, a brilliant little coaster that really packs a punch. I love the queueline theming and the station, and the woodland setting means that when watching POVs you can't make out what's coming next! I love just about everything about this ride (Though it's not quite enough to hit first)
So far, the only person to give Anubis a good rating, has actually ridden it. Now I can be the second.

Its amazing. The launch is SO powerful, it completley blew me away, crazy air over the top hat, and such a buzz as you drop town the vertical twist. Forceful inversions and bags of airtime, and even some hang time on the final inversion. Best launch coaster I've been on to date, at probably the second best family park in Europe.

Plop!
AstroDan

Anubis does look good but I simply don't see it being better than Troy, Katun or Raptor.

What is the best family park, darkside?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
CF1

Normally i am with u, i dont like the "normal" B&M Inverts. (LooP Zero G other inversion Corky Corky)
But Katun brings a really different feeling, its really awesome, hight, Speed and G-Froces. I really love it.
Bote

I'm guessing it's something that must be rode to be fully appreciated. I normally love anything by B&M (Dive Machine's exempt :P ) but just from watching POVs and looking at photos I found it hard to judge. Sure it has the height, speed, and inversions. But there just seems to be something missing from it for me. I assume that that something is discovered when riding it and feeling the ride for yourself :)
Blaze

Maybe there's something more to it, but the second half especially is a joke. A very simple drop, directly into a wingover, then, because B&M are scared of doing a double-screw, a dead piece of track and then another wingover. Really looks like a cop out.
JoshC

I'm interested to see what it's actually like, this makes me even more excited about riding it in the summer! :D
AstroDan

Blaze wrote: Really looks like a cop out.
Obviously, a total cop out that it's one of the highest regarded (by enthusiasts) B&M's ever built.
Blaze

In terms of design, that is. Maybe it's very forcefull, but from a design point of view, they really couldn't be bothered. "What shall we do to seperate these two inversions on this fast, intense coaster we're building?""Oh, I know, put a straight section!"
AstroDan

Blaze wrote: In terms of design, that is. Maybe it's very forcefull, but from a design point of view, they really couldn't be bothered. "What shall we do to seperate these two inversions on this fast, intense coaster we're building?""Oh, I know, put a straight section!"
Does it really matter? No. If it's a bloody good ride when you are on board, then it's a bloody good ride. And clearly, it's a bloody good ride!

Blaze

Yes, I'm sure it's great, but that sort of thing moves it down the list. Every inch of the coasters above it is used to it's maximum potential, apart from The Ultimate which is a totally different sort of thing.
JoshC

Blaze wrote: Yes, I'm sure it's great, but that sort of thing moves it down the list.
How can it being great move it down the list?  :|
Rob L

Blaze wrote: In terms of design, that is. Maybe it's very forcefull, but from a design point of view, they really couldn't be bothered. "What shall we do to seperate these two inversions on this fast, intense coaster we're building?""Oh, I know, put a straight section!"
As Dan has said, how does this matter if it is a good coaster? I've been on both Montu and Alpengeist which both look very similar to Katun and they are both absolutely fantastic. A great coaster is a great coaster, regardless of its design. For me Katun is a coaster I feel deserves to be in with a chance of winning this poll but I don't feel it ever will.

I am yet to vote, but I'm pretty sure that I will be ranking Katun first.

Nightfall

The thing is that last year everyone was raving amount Mamba and not Katun. Therefore I was lead to believe that Mamba must be better than Katun. I have now ridden Mamba and if I'm honest I found it lacking. So why does that effect my view on katun when it’s actually rated higher? Well while most reviews do rave about Katun there are a few that have noted it suffered from the same problem that I had with Mamba. Therefore I can only assume that the aspects that put me off Mamba apply hear as well.

Maybe I've been unusually harsh on it in this round but then I’ve found it very hard to judge. I'm definitely not encouraging anyone else to rate it as low. It just happens that I personally don't think I’ll find it very enjoyable.
[align=center]Image[/align]
AstroDan

Having been on Monster and Montu, and finding both incredible coasters - Katun looks like it's from the same songsheet.

Mitch

Poseidon, Colorado and Kanonen are the obvious "clunkers" in this group so they'll be going 10th, 9th and 8th respectively. (I don't think they look like bad coasters, just weak in comparison to the rest of the group.

7. The Ultimate: This is one of those coasters which I've been told you HAVE to ride it in order to get the feel of it. I honestly don't know what to think of this ride also because it's such a marmite coaster. I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and place it above Poseidon, Colorado and Kanonen yet I have a much greater desire to get myself on the remaining six coasters in the group.

6. Raptor: I don't see how everyone's jizzing themselves over this when we have the likes of Katun, Goliath and Troy in this group? Yes it looks nice, and it's a new concept, but to me it looks pretty sluggish and tame. I think the ride captures the concept of near misses really well but the actual coaster looks weak, particularly in comparison to the rest of the group on here.

5. Tonnerre de Zeus: It's a shame this has been put with Troy because I really, really like the look of it. Classic woodie coaster which looks like it has some fantastic airtime moments.

4. Anubis: I've always had a fond liking to this ride since it's been built. The layout looks really neat, fast paced and unique. And that station, gotta love that station!

3. Troy: Looks wonderful to ride, smooth, elegant, stunning to look at off ride and I've heard the actual experience is pretty mind-blowing. Want want want want...

2. Katun: Looks to be hideously underrated so far. I'm interested in knowing how many B&M coasters the people saying 'they're too formulaic' have been on, because this looks absolutely earth-shattering. Alpengeist and Montu rank #s 1 and 4 respectively and on my list, and I think this has the potential to blow those two out of the water.

1. Goliath: My personal second favourite after Piraten in the competition. I find it odd that most coaster enthusiasts rave about airtime but seem to be putting this airtime machine quite low, (mostly speaking of the people who haven't ridden it by the way, if you have and didn't think much of it, fair enough) I don't see how this coaster could go so wrong. It's got good speed, lovely looking hills, an interesting layout and that Stengel Dive.... <3

I have a feeling a lot of my favourites aren't going to make it through this one. :(