Team additions: Welcome James!

Attraction Source and TowersTimes website news, comments and suggestions.
Adam James

Without getting into the debate regarding team member selection, Congrats James, I'm sure you'll do a smashing job! :)
sheepie

Congratulations James, I may not be a very active member here but I regularly read the forums and it is obvious to see why you've been made a team member. Just wanted to say a congrats because I think people are acting very childish and selfish. You can't please everyone sadly and on the internet, people always want to have their say.

Best of luck to you!
Don't blink; not even for a second, blink and you're dead.
Dormiens-Dave

Im going to do a more expansive welcome. Its good to see someone who put so much work into SW6 get the recognition this time round and join the team. Indeed Vik got the secret weapon team position last time round and its an important role as can be seen by the influx of posts last night.

ohh and i didn't get on the team via an application just to highlight that applications are not the norm. In a way i suppose the application process is your posting on the forum.

:-)
Dylan

Congratulations James. Your contributions to the forum over the last few years have been excellent so I can see exactly why the team would want you onboard.
Well done!
Magrathea

Really happy to have you on the team, James, welcome! :D

On a sadder note, I'm actually quite embarrassed by certain posts on this topic, and I can't quite believe the extent to which fellow team members are having to justify their choices so publicly...
Pennywise

*gawps at the rest of this topic*

Well, I can honestly say that I'm slightly surprised that the team have felt the need to recruit a new member, but believe the person whom they've chosen to be predictable enough (I mean that in a positive manner). I thought I'd just pop in and say what a fantastic addition to the team I believe you to be, James. You're, undoubtedly, one of the best and more regular posters on TTF, so I have no doubt that you'll make an excellent team member. :)

Even had there been an 'application process' of sorts, I seriously doubt that it would have been anything other than a long-winded way of appointing the exact same person in the role, so I'm not entirely sure why people are kicking up a fuss.

Congratulations, James!  :D
Last edited by Pennywise on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dormiens-Dave

One thing i will say is we have been one forum team member down since Crofty left. The forum obviously hasn't been its busiest since because of the lack of new attractions and closed season but with Sub-Terra and SW7 we needed to be back up to strength... so it isnt as "out of the blue" a decision as people may think.
.Will

Little bit surprised at some of the posts in this topic, but that's water under the bridge I guess.
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Well done James, I echo what Dylan said in that his contribution over the years I've been here has been excellent & a worthy choice in my view. Besides the more bummers on the team the better, these straights are starting to get above themselves.  :lol:
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
James

I feel like I should just post in response to the, err, 'not so nice'(?) comments. Just to start off I haven't taken anything to heart, I know I'm not that well known in the TTF circle.

Believe it or not, I've been a member (and browsing) the forums since 2006. Admittedly I'm more of one of the 'background' members that can sometimes disappear into the background then suddenly appear again. I first joined the forum in 2006 as 'AT Mad 92', left in 2007 due to lack of interest. I kept reading the forums after leaving, then since January 2009 on this account I have been a member. Known as 'Jlton' at first and now of course just 'James'. Without sounding too up myself I believe my post count shows my contributions over the years.

In my opinion, there is no need for a new recruited team member to be a meet regular, chat regular, be one of the 'popular' TTF'ers... I know you could say I'm just saying this because it describes me, although shouldn't forum contributions and post quality also come into account? It's not just about choosing a team member that is known throughout the group. It's about choosing the person that will further help the team and will be best suited to the role.

I'm also somewhat shocked at how some members believe some form of application process should always take place. It is always at the team's discretion to add new members without notification of position(s) available.

I will be coming along to a meet or two this year, so hopefully those who are not sure of who I am, you'll be finding out soon.

I would like to thank Craig and the team for offering me the position and thank you to every one that has congratulated me. I'm looking forward to helping out with TT and being a part of the team. :D
James

mrbrightside wrote: Chat could get  onfusing with two James' in charge xD

But 'grats new James.
Have no fear, it's sorted...

I bring to you 'feminine James' and 'manly James'. Two of TowersTimes' finest.  :P

I'm the manly James obviously!

;)
Last edited by James on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Islander

^There's a beautiful irony in that :P

Congratulations, though, and best of luck... I fear it may be needed... :lol:
Bote

I would just like to echo what the rest of the Team have said. I've been here since mid 2009 and I've only seen one application process as far as I'm aware (That being the one myself and John landed our positions through)

In some cases the Team may have a process much like the one I used. It was a test of writting content that would be fit for purpose. Therefore one of the best ways would be to ask people to submit pieces of writing and select from that. However, things like the forum team this is not so easy to access in such a matter. Forum contribution and quality speak more in this case. In cases like this a lot of consideration and care is taken, and we do look at all options, so don't feel that we just randomly decide 'oh we're taking on such and such'.

Things like how socially well in people are with TTF should not play any role though in my opinion. There are many people who don't use chat, or don't attend meets. Does that mean they aren't fit for a role? Absolutely not! We are looking for the people we feel fit the role best. Not the person who everyone knows.

James has been here for a good while now, and whilst not the most frequent of posters he's far from unknown. How people can say what they have is beyond me, and quite frankly is that really a good way to make someone feel welcome? At least James has not taken any of this to heart, but all the same!
Joel

James wrote: I'm the manly James obviously!
Don't worry, other James managed to keep up that title for a very short lived time. Your time will come soon too :P

Oh, and WELCOME JAMES! :D
Magrathea

Joel wrote:
James wrote: I'm the manly James obviously!
Don't worry, other James managed to keep up that title for a very short lived time. Your time will come soon too :P

Oh, and WELCOME JAMES! :D
Rude! :P Besides, we all know he was only hired to make up for the lack of token welsh team members... ;)
SpinballEdders

Congrats James, I can't wait to get my pointless topics locked by You! (hopefully as good as Craig does it) :)
Mike

Welcome, James :D

I too am rather shocked at some posts in here complaining about how he was chosen - the way I see it, the forum staff can recruit however they want (especially if it turns out to be an amazingly good decision anyway as in this case!) and don't deserve to have people attacking them for it. :)

Thanks to Ian for the sig!
AstroDan

I have been a team member since January 2007.

During that time, the vast majority of the rest of the current TT Team has been recruited.

When I was elected to the team it was through an application process during December 2006. However, since then, there have only been, to my recollection, 2 further posts offered by means of an application and this is quite normal.

Most of the time, the team discuss new members in the dedicated team forum. This usually comes down to members whose posting is consistently of good quality, members who are welcoming and members who are seen as those who would have the balance and reason to be a member of the TT Team. The judgement of the team in choosing of offering positions to members remains, and always shall do, at the discretion of the team and, ultimately, the forum admininstrators. Quite often, new team members are not those who have been on many meets. I myself was elected to the team following just two official meets. This has been the case for others although, sometimes, it can also be those who already have a solid footing in meets. There is no set rule.

With the arrival of SW7, the forum will be going into a very busy period. You will remember that for SW6, we also elected a new team member whose role was principally to moderate the SW6 forums (Vik).

I am sure that there will be further opportunities in the coming months and years for further positions to be filled by application, but equally, there may be further positions filled simply by way of discussion within the team and offering members a post.

:)