The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Deejay

Although the track out of both inverted drops is not complete yet I would still count them because they're technically finished up to the inverted point, so I make that 10 inversions now :) 1 more and Towers have the record! I have not seen any pics or vids of this Chinese Colossus clone with an extra vertical loop either so I assume Towers are very close to taking the record! May even be done by tomorrow :D
sully1311

This pic really shows how big a footprint this ride is going to take up!!
undeadarmy

Oh my god Oblivion looks really menacing in that photo.
Wildboy

This ride is going to be totally unrelenting. Thank god for the mid course lift.
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983
thatboyfromthewoods

When the plans first came out always knew the layout and construction would always be difficult and slow. But this roller coaster is truly phenomenal. World beating world first whatever! It will be one hell of an experience. Also X sector looks absolutely incredible. Oblivion looks dominant and the smiler is a huge twisted beautiful mess. I cannot wait to ride this.  :D
Aidan Lowe

The pace is picking up now, I can't wait to see it completed with the interwoven spider, this will look sick.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
clayj

Everyone seems taken by the intertwined staffordshire knott and cobra in the pit, and as aesthetically pleasing and intutive as it was to combine the two elements (4 inversions) I am looking forward more to the completion of the middle section of the ride. Just think.... A seaserpant roll through two Immelmann rolls which are built over and retrospectively intertwined by a corkscrew. Add too this a 5 legged marmiliser structure interwoven inbetween the track which is speculated to interact with the ride cars which are rumoured to be duelling each other the top, middle and bottom sections of the ride !
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
Javs

clayj wrote: Everyone seems taken by the intertwined staffordshire knott and cobra in the pit, and as aesthetically pleasing and intutive as it was to combine the two elements (4 inversions) I am looking forward more to the completion of the middle section of the ride. Just think.... A seaserpant roll through two Immelmann rolls which are built over and retrospectively intertwined by a corkscrew. Add too this a 5 legged marmiliser structure interwoven inbetween the track which is speculated to interact with the ride cars which are rumoured to be duelling each other the top, middle and bottom sections of the ride !
Not to mention a vertical lift!  What a ride.
GigaSurimi

clayj wrote: Everyone seems taken by the intertwined staffordshire knott and cobra in the pit, and as aesthetically pleasing and intutive as it was to combine the two elements (4 inversions)
I see only 2 inversions in the staffordshrie knott...?
The 2 other interlaced thingy don't really invert, they're more like vertical banking curves to me, or am I wrong?
clayj

GigaSurimi wrote:
clayj wrote: Everyone seems taken by the intertwined staffordshire knott and cobra in the pit, and as aesthetically pleasing and intutive as it was to combine the two elements (4 inversions)
The 2 other interlaced thingy don't really invert, they're more like vertical banking curves to me, or am I wrong?
Tricky to comment on. Everyone is counting them as inversion although under closer inspection, one side doesn't apear to invert and the other is questionable :s
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
Phild94

GigaSurimi wrote:
There is a point as the cobra roll comes over on itself to a point where i would say it reaches 150 degree inversion

4 Circled points are inversions in the staffs knot

Funny to think even if these weren't classed as an inversion it would still hold the record for worlds most inversions XD...... In fact even with what is built now it ties with colossus on inversions  :shock:
Last edited by Phild94 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
clayj

Phild94 wrote:
GigaSurimi wrote:
There is a point as the cobra roll comes over on itself to a point where i would say it reaches 150 degree inversion

4 Circled points are inversions in the staffs knot

Funny to think even if these weren't classed as an inversion it would still hold the record for worlds most inversions XD...... In fact even with what is built now it ties with colossus on inversions  :shock:
Riddler's Revenge @ SFMM has an Inclined loop which is classed as an inversion, yet doesn't fully invert so Smiler may get away with it on technicality

[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
DeanGaryCox

The Swarm also has a section very similar to that, and is classed as inversion if i'm right... ^^
Image 2014
clayj

DeanGaryCox wrote: The Swarm also has a section very similar to that, and is classed as inversion if i'm right... ^^
As do the follwoing 8 coasters.... http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&el=8885
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
ManiaMuse

Gerstlauer do like to make funny-shaped inversions such as this one which RCDB counts http://rcdb.com/9795.htm?p=35828
RCT3Bross

There are a lot of inversions (manly dive loops, Immelmann's and inclined loops)  that don't reach the 180 degrees. But they inverted enough to be classed as a inversion.  ;) The Smiler's knot has 4 inversions. :D
Nathan Clulow97

Has anyone else noticed that the map shows that the smiler station has a gold thing sticking out here it says THE smiler logo
Boz

I think it counts as an inversion, if your feet go above your heart/head. It doesn't have to be completely 180 degrees to the horizon, otherwise, there will be a LOT of questionable inversions out there
3T

The ride looks amazing, it's about time we had another coaster with inversions! It's a lot bigger than I initially thought when construction started.

Shame about the name though, I really hate the name & the entire theme for this ride. The spider from the plans looked awesome, but that latest drawing of it looks like something from RCT3. They should have just extended the original X-Sector theme to it.
Ripsaw Raver

But to be honest this an extention of x-sector, JW him self has discribed X-Sector as a military/government installation. this is more of less expanding the back story of who was behind x-sector,Kelman is the head of the sanctuary but whats to say that TLOD is not the figure head of the MOJ!.

As contruction goes though the coaster looks spectacular, i think its safe to say the next section will be the corkscrew and the track entering the cobra roll, then maybe the other half of the pretzel, surprised the 1st lift hasnt gone in yet though, This contruction just keeps getting better, a can see this coaster being on all the topten coaster shows and the like for the years to come! Alton hopefully has hit NemesisSuccessV.2
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123