The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
jbuckton18

altontowersfreakhead wrote: you know the game the smiler with all the updates is that what you're gonna experience on the ride??xxx I seriously haven't got a clue what to expect!!xxx :P
You must be new here .. welcome to the forum
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
Andzdrew

There's quite a few things missing from the game, secret things. And apart from the barmy flashing images yes, that's exactly what to expect
altontowersfreakhead

ahaha sort of but i need to know what is going to happen to me on the ride
Tom_Jephson

altontowersfreakhead wrote: ahaha sort of but i need to know what is going to happen to me on the ride
You're going to get marmalised  ;)
For a better start in life, start smiling earlier!
Kirsty25

altontowersfreakhead wrote: ahaha sort of but i need to know what is going to happen to me on the ride
Where's the fun in knowing what will happen before you go on a ride?? :O
Kirsty25

Hi Guys

I appreciate your enthusiam with the marketing campaign, but we do already have a thread running with discussion about it here

Thanks
Last edited by Kirsty25 on Thu May 02, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weatherspoon13

Apologies if this has been noted/discussed before but i couldn't help noticing during this video on Hold Tight Riders fb page, and in the others which also show the screens on the marmaliser testing mentioning "The Disorientateor" which shows the car being inverted 360 degrees in a continuos sort of motion. It also says "Carriage rotation....360 degrees". The sequence starts at around 23 seconds into the video -

Could this be the secret element after all?
Screen Shot 2013-05-02 at 20.49.12 by weatherspoon19, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2013-05-02 at 20.48.49 by weatherspoon19, on Flickr
Adrenalinejunkie2013

Do you really think this is going to be tested whilst the park is open?
A

Sorry, but you're about a week late weatherspoon13
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
weatherspoon13

A wrote: Sorry, but you're about a week late weatherspoon13
Whoops  :oops: Sorry bout that...  :(
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Adrenalinejunkie2013 wrote: Do you really think this is going to be tested whilst the park is open?
It has to be, as they won't get the hours in otherwise.
A

weatherspoon13 wrote:
A wrote: Sorry, but you're about a week late weatherspoon13
Whoops  :oops: Sorry bout that...  :(
Nothing to be embarrassed about. Also I see you are a new member, welcome :)
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
Adrenalinejunkie2013

lewis97 wrote:
Adrenalinejunkie2013 wrote: Do you really think this is going to be tested whilst the park is open?
It has to be, as they won't get the hours in otherwise.
Yes they will its called night shifts ;) ;)
N3m3s1s

Adrenalinejunkie2013 wrote: Yes they will its called night shifts ;) ;)
In all honesty, I don't see night shifts alone providing enough testing. Not only that, but I doubt workers or even local residents (*coughRopers cough*) would be too pleased! What would the point be if there is nothing to hide?
Adrenalinejunkie2013

N3m3s1s wrote:
In all honesty, I don't see night shifts alone providing enough testing. Not only that, but I doubt workers or even local residents (*coughRopers cough*) would be too pleased! What would the point be if there is nothing to hide?
Ok let's say they started at half 5 once people had gone until 830 the following morning, and did this 15 days straight that would total 225 hours and it would be 17th may??
Instant Mix

I know this is backseat moderating, but could people please read the thread before they post?
No offense to anyone in particular, but I've seen this "could the disorientator be a new element" post at least ten times in the last few pages. Just thank the original post  :D

Can't wait to see pictures of the new trains, I'm now thinking that despite the trains looking god-awfully ugly when they first arrived, they might fit in the with the rest of the track. We'll just have to see one they're doing the circuits.
ManiaMuse

Adrenalinejunkie2013 wrote:
N3m3s1s wrote:
Ok let's say they started at half 5 once people had gone until 830 the following morning, and did this 15 days straight that would total 225 hours and it would be 17th may??
I doubt they'll do night testing, they would be very popular with the neighbors and wouldn't do their court case any good.

More expensive, they'd need to get a bunch of floodlights in when they are at a stage of doing all the queue fencing, paving and tidying the site, and besides why waste the longer days? If something goes wrong during testing they want to be able to see it rather than having to faff around in the dark.
skyscraper

is there an official opening date yet?
AndreJD

Th13TEENGUY wrote:
skyscraper wrote: is there an official opening date yet?
The 18th after the media evening on the 17th but this has not been confirmed  :D
So the answer to "is there an official opening date yet" is no. The 18th is absolute guesswork and I think it's quite unlikely. There are still parts of the supports missing, theming isn't finished, we're likely a few days from when they can start even testing and there's a lot of that to do. Soft openings, finishing touches, margins for error on top of all that too. There's no way this is officially opening in 16 days.
Aidan Lowe

Rob over at TowersStreet has some juicy pics taken on-site today. Go here to view them.

One thing I noticed about the new fencing, are they gonna block us in on certain parts of the queue, it seems to have side walls and a roof on top of parts of the queuing system? Rather than seeing the trains, wouldn't it play on the mind more if all you hear is the train roar over your head and screams.

PS: Please don't directly link Rob's images on this forum.
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Thu May 02, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc