The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Cookie Monster

Or maybe TT have found out the truth but AT doesn't want us and the GP to know it encase of scaring the GP
MichaelStott

wardiespritz wrote:
MichaelStott wrote: Where I work there is an ex-manager of Alton Towers, who is now the attraction manager of where I work that is just as enthusiastic to ride The Smiler as I am. He asked someone he knows there about the delays etc, and apparently it is due to a stall which was caused by the wheels. Apparently since the end of testing the ride was deemed safe, however was NOT running at optimum speed. This is suspected to be due to the wheels being too tight on the track, and the weight of the cars being very slightly heavier than expected. The following video at 1:57 almost shows the car stalling, this is indeed where it stalled the other day, it rolled back and had to be removed from the track.

You can also see below that another user caught wind of this. Notice how the car VERY suddenly slows down, almost unnaturally. It's not a gradual slowdown, it's almost an instant stop. This is the issue. From looking at the videos that show the screeching it certainly looks to be the cause.

Since I posted this I also noticed that someone above linked a video that at 40 seconds shows the car going very slow.
I also noticed this. But this says 13th may. It's honestly taken this long for them to realise this?
How is it blue peter and some journalists have ridden the ride?
Well that is exactly what I thought, perhaps it has happened over time and got considerably worse, because they have not been testing the ride in the day recently, only at night which would point towards a possibility that maybe they found an issue that if the public saw would put them off.
Cookie Monster

MichaelStott wrote:
wardiespritz wrote:
MichaelStott wrote: Where I work there is an ex-manager of Alton Towers, who is now the attraction manager of where I work that is just as enthusiastic to ride The Smiler as I am. He asked someone he knows there about the delays etc, and apparently it is due to a stall which was caused by the wheels. Apparently since the end of testing the ride was deemed safe, however was NOT running at optimum speed. This is suspected to be due to the wheels being too tight on the track, and the weight of the cars being very slightly heavier than expected. The following video at 1:57 almost shows the car stalling, this is indeed where it stalled the other day, it rolled back and had to be removed from the track.

You can also see below that another user caught wind of this. Notice how the car VERY suddenly slows down, almost unnaturally. It's not a gradual slowdown, it's almost an instant stop. This is the issue. From looking at the videos that show the screeching it certainly looks to be the cause.

Since I posted this I also noticed that someone above linked a video that at 40 seconds shows the car going very slow.
I also noticed this. But this says 13th may. It's honestly taken this long for them to realise this?
How is it blue peter and some journalists have ridden the ride?
Well that is exactly what I thought, perhaps it has happened over time and got considerably worse, because they have not been testing the ride in the day recently, only at night which would point towards a possibility that maybe they found an issue that if the public saw would put them off.
Like what i said maybe TT have found out and AT are doing a cover up?
EDIT: by saying that isn't the case
Hitch

Im not accusing tt of lying atall, theres so much evidence to suggest a car stalling, alton towers are the unreliable source here.
Kirsty25

I have no idea, maybe people would respond better if AT released something rather than just saying teething problems, at the end of the day people aren't stupid and teething problems don't take 5 days to correct...
Cookie Monster

James97 wrote: Im not accusing tt of lying atall, theres so much evidence to suggest a car stalling, alton towers are the unreliable source here.
Agreed the communication throughout the delay has been terrible.
MichaelStott

I don't think it's a case of TT covering anything up at all. TT are a separate entity from Alton Towers, and have nothing to lose by informing us die-hard fans of Alton Towers what is going on. Alton Towers do have something to loose by informing us - potentially scaring a lot of people off. Alton Towers is in a very delicate situation here.

What we must not do is start blaming TT because it's someone to point the finger at due to the delay of the opening. It will open, even if it is one day. At least it will be safe and ready!
wardiespritz

All in all this to me is looking like the delay is going to be most the summer... I'm no expert in the mechanics but due to the fault we think we know how much testing, and successful testing will health and safety now require?
Also new parts? Fittings? Tweaking of angles on wheels above and below the track. Repair track damage caused recently?.
May be months?
You must escape........go...go..go
Hitch

My opinions on alton towers management.  ](*,)
Cookie Monster

Any info in the wonky support being fixed???
Benjsh

These latest setbacks do make the inital plans to open in March seem rather optimistic don't they?
XXBENNXX

i am not personally accusing TT of anything, Alton towers seemed to be doing that in the undertone of their message. i understand the situation they are in and why they are being very vague. Clearly there is something they don't want to admit. This thing is becoming a nightmare for both the park and the people attending the park hoping to ride this thing. but the fact that an FAQ page was set up specifically suggests this may not be a short delay and they know this. we can sit here and speculate all we like but until the official source gives a satisfactory answer nobody will know the truth for sure. The fact that the adverts have not been pulled as i have literally just seen one holds a small glimmer of hope, sure they don't mention the 23rd may on them anymore, but after that date they wouldn't anyhow. the advert does suggest the thing is open which i feel to be quite mis-leading. Time will tell.
Cookie Monster

The advert does say ''book now to ride the smiler'' or something along those lines which is very misleading.
aircanman

Sorry to be like this. But have TT had this info from a reliable source? Because alton towers could sue TT for posting this info it it bears no truth. As it is likely to damage their incomes. However little? I thought TT and AT we're working together before.
Benjsh

I think AT will be sueing the pants off the responsible party for compensation. A £20m ride investment with large numbers staying away until it's open. Everyday it's not open the park are having a bad day basically.

And everyday it's not open is just going to make all the days when it is open even busier which again will rub people the wrong way.

So Amateurish. I hope there's a quick resolution.
jamesc

We all have to remember here that the trains are a first on this type of coaster, the extra weight of the trains are a problem for the wheels by the looks of it.

It may take some time to find the best type of wheels and settings, which at worst have to be made and delivered which would take time, and being a bank holiday does not help.

Maybe more testing of the wheels should of been done, before signing off the ride.

No one knows at the moment how much work needs to be done to the wheels and trains.
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!
Hitch

aircanman wrote: Sorry to be like this. But have TT had this info from a reliable source? Because alton towers could sue TT for posting this info it it bears no truth. As it is likely to damage their incomes. However little? I thought TT and AT we're working together before.
I doubt alton towers are going to sue tt tbh, when they are giving away no real reason for the smiler being shut speculation is going to occur.
MichaelStott

aircanman wrote: Sorry to be like this. But have TT had this info from a reliable source? Because alton towers could sue TT for posting this info it it bears no truth. As it is likely to damage their incomes. However little? I thought TT and AT we're working together before.
Weather they have or haven't, Alton can only sue if they can prove the post caused considerable loss of profits.. and let's be honest, the fact that the Smiler hasn't opened yet would be the only cause of that.
Cookie Monster

Surely the new train type would need Heavier duty wheels and a bit of angle adjustment for them to be ok and usable.
aircanman

MichaelStott wrote:
Weather they have or haven't, Alton can only sue if they can prove the post caused considerable loss of profits.. and let's be honest, the fact that the Smiler hasn't opened yet would be the only cause of that.
True, the only worry is that this news needs to have come from somewhere. I think TT should give some info just incase. Because its a strong article which could have repercussions.

Not that I don't think people should know, just thinking of TT on this one.