The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
RCandrew

Heisenberg96 wrote:
Oblividoom wrote: Public's reaction to this is just embarrassing and classic example of how obnoxious and rude people can be. AT, I'd keep it closed on purpose now. Make people wait.
You must be the only person that's not complaining, my friend.

We've all got more than enough reason to moan. It's not because the ride is delayed, it's because of AT's poor communication with the public on the matter.

As far as I can gather, AT said 23rd May right up until the 22nd in which it kept stalling release daily until it now can't even be predicted. If its this serious, they must have known weeks ago. It doesn't put me off the ride, but it certainly makes me question the quality of AT's internal communication. I think people have to give up the positivity act and admit that this whole fiasco is a shambles.

Just my opinion.
I'm not complaining?
And I'm sure Alton towers said they only found out it wouldn't open a couple of hours before they told the public it wouldn't. And I don't think it's their cult either. Also, in my opinion, holding off the day is better because then when they are 100% sure they can announce that it's will finally open *on tuesday*(we don't know yet) rather than them havering to say now then it happening again... :)
Kirsty25

Guys, we are all annoyed over what's happening with The Smiler, the not knowing, but please let's not start on each other too. Any further snipy comments will be removed as off topic.
JammyBand

I normally read this forum daily, and try to read every page. If people keep moaning, I'm seriously not even going to look at a single page. I don't mind when this ride opens, as long as it is good.
mrpwing wrote:
Yesterday I walked past a guy cementing the steps down to the queue line which surprised me.
Things like this is actually FANTASTIC NEWS! It shows how they are making the finishing touches and ensuring the ride is properly ready. This would never have been done if it hadn't been delayed. We are finally getting a finished ride, guys!Many people have been saying from the very start how they hoped it would not be opened half-done like N:ST, and well, here you are!I believe they are doing it well!
tallicay2k

XXBENNXX wrote: this had better be open by the 5th june, i can't afford to reschedule a 500 mile drive. so am getting slightly frustrated as our holiday draws closer.
I feel your pain man, I'm going on the 8th and 9th of June so we will keep our fingers and toes crossed.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Cookie Monster

yes i have been wishing for a finished coaster and it looks like we will be getting one
Oblividoom

Has anyone got anything useful to post (e.g. construction photos) from today?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
mrpwing

JammyBand wrote: I normally read this forum daily, and try to read every page. If people keep moaning, I'm seriously not even going to look at a single page. I don't mind when this ride opens, as long as it is good.
mrpwing wrote:
Yesterday I walked past a guy cementing the steps down to the queue line which surprised me.
Things like this is actually FANTASTIC NEWS! It shows how they are making the finishing touches and ensuring the ride is properly ready. This would never have been done if it hadn't been delayed. We are finally getting a finished ride, guys!Many people have been saying from the very start how they hoped it would not be opened half-done like N:ST, and well, here you are!I believe they are doing it well!
Nice colourful post! I guess this is true. It's nice to read about them putting the metal cover over the queue line so at least we get the full thing. Looking forward to getting to ride this... I will literally just be joining the queue as soon as I get off it (as long as my head can handle the inversions)
Phantom Made and Seldom Seen
XXBENNXX

tallicay2k wrote:
XXBENNXX wrote: this had better be open by the 5th june, i can't afford to reschedule a 500 mile drive. so am getting slightly frustrated as our holiday draws closer.
I feel your pain man, I'm going on the 8th and 9th of June so we will keep our fingers and toes crossed.
Cheers man, the wife and i have possibly the chance to go again in september, but the main reason that i booked the 5th to 7th was to allow this thing to be open a couple of weeks and to have the bugs worked out of the system. but alas it is looking like we will be disappointed, now the question is, if it isn't open, do we go anyway? or do we reschedule, lose the holiday time because it's now too close to reschedule, and try and pull a sickie for 3 days in september. being recently married, just starting a home of our own and trying to start a family make things like this very difficult to guage, not to mention Expensive. it is likely that we will not be able to reschedule at all and i booked the date based upon the date given to us by the company. so here's hoping they sort it out or make a proper announcement because so far this is a farce.
altontowerskid

I'm hoping the Towers provide a bit more info tomorrow with regards to when The Smiler will be opening. Communication is key with the GP, otherwise twitter comments like the one seen today will start on a mass scale :?
Last edited by altontowerskid on Sun May 26, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam

Guys please get back on topic! If you have any issues with any other members please either report the post or contact an Admin or Mod via PM, don't clutter up the forum with nonsense.

Any more rubbish today will NOT be tolerated and will be deleted!

Thank you.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
mrpwing

XXBENNXX wrote:
tallicay2k wrote:
Cheers man, the wife and i have possibly the chance to go again in september, but the main reason that i booked the 5th to 7th was to allow this thing to be open a couple of weeks and to have the bugs worked out of the system. but alas it is looking like we will be disappointed, now the question is, if it isn't open, do we go anyway? or do we reschedule, lose the holiday time because it's now too close to reschedule, and try and pull a sickie for 3 days in september. being recently married, just starting a home of our own and trying to start a family make things like this very difficult to guage, not to mention Expensive. it is likely that we will not be able to reschedule at all and i booked the date based upon the date given to us by the company. so here's hoping they sort it out or make a proper announcement because so far this is a farce.
I went anyway since we couldnt reschedule work, you are guaranteed to have a decent time if it's open or not but it is a pain in the backside. It was a 3.5 hr drive for us, fortunately if you see customer services they will validate you ticket to come back. its a long drive for one day but it's no extra cost to get into the park...

Hope it's open for you dude... or at least they decide to let everyone know what the heck's going on!
Phantom Made and Seldom Seen
JammyBand

mrpwing wrote:
XXBENNXX wrote:
tallicay2k wrote: I feel your pain man, I'm going on the 8th and 9th of June so we will keep our fingers and toes crossed.
I went anyway since we couldnt reschedule work, you are guaranteed to have a decent time if it's open or not but it is a pain in the backside. It was a 3.5 hr drive for us, fortunately if you see customer services they will validate you ticket to come back. its a long drive for one day but it's no extra cost to get into the park...

Hope it's open for you dude... or at least they decide to let everyone know what the heck's going on!
Yes, I would probably do this. Despite your very long journey, it would be worth going anyways as you get 2 days at Alton for the price of one! Its better still as you can come back at any time later on in the season. I have been to Alton and it really is great!!! Even if The Smiler is not open, you will get to ride Oblivion, Nemesis, Rita and many other which are absolutely amazing. Just remember to contact Guest Services!
jrch123

TBH I don't think Alton would tell anyone about why they have delayed the ride - so there is no point in spamming them about it.

The ride will be open soon - you can clearly see that through the construction updates - I'm estimating a couple of days.. If not definately open by next thursday.
aircanman

jrch123 wrote: TBH I don't think Alton would tell anyone about why they have delayed the ride - so there is no point in spamming them about it.

The ride will be open soon - you can clearly see that through the construction updates - I'm estimating a couple of days.. If not definately open by next thursday.
Correct
tallicay2k

XXBENNXX wrote:
tallicay2k wrote:
Ahh congrats, I'm recently married and yeah I know what your saying about being an expensive trip.
Me and my wife live a good 4 hours away and it's not easy.
We are trying to get on the property ladder (which is bleeding annoying) so we wont be able to go as much as previous years. I recommend just to still go cos as you've said is gonna be more difficult as your family plans progresses.
If its open awesome but if not you cAn still enjoy Towers, I wouldn't go through all the trouble and expense to try n get yourself time off again.
But many congratulations, all the best and I hope your family plans go to...well to plan :-) awesome news.
Let me know how things go man.

Simon.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Cookie Monster

Back on construction when i was at AT yesterday i could see work being done in the pit from the top of blivvy if this helps anyone
youarecorrectsir

I, for one, am really not too bothered about the delayed opening! Yeah it's a shame but I don't really mind that much because I know it will have been worth the wait when it's open. Riding it one week earlier wont make it any more fun for me - I'd rather wait for perfection!

I feel really sorry for Alton Towers to be honest. It must be so frustrating for them - I bet they're desperate to get this ride out, and it's always horrible being on the receiving end of scrutiny and complaints.

We're all disappointed, we've all had a moan, but shouldn't that be enough? Perhaps it's time to calm down, change our hotel dates and wait for it to open :)
[align=center]"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"[/align]
Hurri

Just had to tidy the topic up a bit. Keep any personal grievances with each other off the boards, either settle it via PM or report posts and they will be dealt with in due course, thanks.
Tom_Jephson

Towerstimes just put this on Facebook:

Major Incident:

TowersTimes has learned that between the park closing on Thursday 23rd May and opening on Friday 24th, a major incident occurred during the ride's testing. This resulted in numerous issues with severe scraping to the track as well as an entire ride train being removed from the track after 'valleying' due to an undisclosed reason. Valleying is when a train stops on part of the track after being unable to complete the circuit under its own momentum. X Sector was closed to the public for the entire day so work on removing the train could take place out of sight of visitors although a replacement train was seen being lifted on to the ride later in the day.

No details on this incident have been released by The Alton Towers Resort and it is unlikely they will do so. However most references to the ride's opening date have now been removed from the official website. Due to the ongoing issues with the ride we believe it will not open for the foreseeable future and if you are planning to visit solely to ride The Smiler, you should hold off on purchasing tickets or making any other plans until further information is released.

TowersTimes will continue to bring you more details as and when we hear them. Our Facebook page and community forum are great places to check for updates during this time.
For a better start in life, start smiling earlier!
aircanman

Tom_Jephson wrote: Towerstimes just put this on Facebook:

Major Incident:

TowersTimes has learned that between the park closing on Thursday 23rd May and opening on Friday 24th, a major incident occurred during the ride's testing. This resulted in numerous issues with severe scraping to the track as well as an entire ride train being removed from the track after 'valleying' due to an undisclosed reason. Valleying is when a train stops on part of the track after being unable to complete the circuit under its own momentum. X Sector was closed to the public for the entire day so work on removing the train could take place out of sight of visitors although a replacement train was seen being lifted on to the ride later in the day.

No details on this incident have been released by The Alton Towers Resort and it is unlikely they will do so. However most references to the ride's opening date have now been removed from the official website. Due to the ongoing issues with the ride we believe it will not open for the foreseeable future and if you are planning to visit solely to ride The Smiler, you should hold off on purchasing tickets or making any other plans until further information is released.

TowersTimes will continue to bring you more details as and when we hear them. Our Facebook page and community forum are great places to check for updates during this time.
Woopsy. Doesn't sound good does it.