The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
clayj

MatthewR1990 wrote:
altontowerskid wrote:
theflamingbrick wrote: We obviously have different opinions so lets just leave it at that.
Agreed. I love a good debate with contrasting opinions, makes us human :)

Back to construction, looking at the recent pictures, the station building looks much taller than I expected. Currently it is looking like three floors, or will the bottom floor be fully underground? Will be very interesting over the next few weeks to see the building develop, may get some idea if there will be a pre-show area :)
There will b some sort of theming in there. Similar to thirteens maybe with that electricity thing. But I can't imagine there being an actual pre show though.
Theres pleanty of room downstairs before you go up the 1st stairs to the station for pre show, or que line entertainment ;)
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
DaveDown

theflamingbrick wrote:
altontowerskid wrote: The ride its self is looking fantastic but what a shoddy job they've done constructing it.
Misplaced footer which would have caused a "headchopper" support along the path, striking Blivvy's foundations, squeezing in supports and very lengthy groundwork delays - how do they think coasters are constructed through winter in places such as Germany... Anyway, probably goes without saying our construction industry isn't the greatest, as it was once :)

Although these weather conditions aren't ideal, I'm sure they've got the time to get it open for 2 months time!!
I generally like just reading posts on here and not writing much, but just feel I have to reply to this.
I do seriously hope you are joking with this post?
I just wanted to add my two cents to the topic of construction delay from my German Point of View.
At the Moment, my home park (Phantasialand) is building a new water ride - something more or less similar to Valhalla, but with even more theming. I would say it´s a different building site, but in terms of complexity, you could compare it to The Smiler because you have a very sophisticated ride on a very limited space. (Want to see pictures ? Here you go: http://www.phantasialand-fans.de/topic/ ... ntry242649)

The state of the site is totally comparable to the Smiler at the Moment with a good portion of the ride finished, station finished and loads of theming left to do.

What I mean to say is - this is not a British problem - it´s common that there are delays on a massive building site that incorporates a complex ride - keep in mind, it´s not like they are building a house from pre-made parts - there is so much attention to detail needed when building a theme park ride, especially when you don´t just drop a coaster on a flat piece of land like they do it in the US. Add in the most twisted, complex coaster in the world and I guess that will explain why it could take a bit longer.

I honestly can´t wait to ride the Smiler when I´m in the UK - but I would rather have patience and give them some time to let the ride turn out the way Alton wants it to. It´s not like The Smiler will be running away once it´s finished ;)
Danny

well, on a brighter and more positive note.. what do you think we will see constructed when the park reopens and we start getting our frequent updates again?? :)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

danny.g97 wrote: well, on a brighter and more positive note.. what do you think we will see constructed when the park reopens and we start getting our frequent updates again?? :)
I was thinking about this earlier, and there's only 1 inversion left to build. But they won't build that until the crane has been moved out, so perhaps the first lift hill and then the 2nd inverted drop.
Baggie79

First ever post but loved reading the forum for a long time.

I have now given up on any super unexpected surprise feature, I fully expect 14/15 inversions and the marmalizer with "possible" 4D but to be fair with the pure scale of this thing even without anything else it looks like it will be superb and I am happy with that and really looking forward to it.

On the construction theme do you think Alton might ever try structurally combining two rides like this to maximize the space they have left?

Also check out my Brothers great Alton Towers Memories site if you like old school rides and history of the towers with loads of pictures etc. :D

http://altontowersmemories.net/

Edit: For those who had not watched past 2 mins I mean Lex drop and Superman on the same tower.
Last edited by Baggie79 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Terminator

MatthewR1990 wrote:
bryanycroft wrote: Might be going 18th may to AT, what are the chances of the smiler being open?  :|
Close to zero. Construction Is still only about half way. They still need to test it and theme it. Etc. it will be very mate May opening.
I'll second that, very little chance of it opening before June in my opinion, so much left to do and that's just the stuff you can see.
And still no lift hills? Normally these would be the first thing constructed so they can be wired in etc. what is the delay on these hills about. They surely can't be standard.
I WILL be back
118hazaman

That I did not see. So at least we (I mainly mean myself, because I bet you guys have already noticed) know that the timelaspe 'speculation' is true. I am glad to hear it, cannot wait to watch the build from two angles.

tobybob123

Baggie79 wrote: First ever post but loved reading the forum for a long time.

I have now given up on any super unexpected surprise feature, I fully expect 14/15 inversions and the marmalizer with "possible" 4D but to be fair with the pure scale of this thing even without anything else it looks like it will be superb and I am happy with that and really looking forward to it.

On the construction theme do you think Alton might ever try structurally combining two rides like this to maximize the space they have left?

Also check out my Brothers great Alton Towers Memories site if you like old school rides and history of the towers with loads of pictures etc. :D

Edit: For those who had not watched past 2 mins I mean Lex drop and Superman on the same tower.
I'm not sure what ride could fit in that tangle of track. If it was a drop ride on the vertical lift then it would be pretty rubbish. Only being 100ft (even smaller than Detonator)

It couldnt really be another coaster because. where would they put the track and to make it they would have to disassemble the smiler which would take ages.

I dont really see AT combining 2 coasters at the smiler site but it could on less (cramped) rides
Finally the Fanta sign is gone!
AltonTowerfanatic

ilyAlton wrote:

I'm quoteing you due to your picture  :D we have kind of dismissed the washing machine effect but if you watch the video from his profile pic she draws the coaster on the wall and in the air but the one in the air is a continuous circle in the same place, there are not original loop the loops on this ride just more fantastic different inventions so could she be drawing the secret element without us knowing...
I'm ready to Smile!
118hazaman

tobybob123 wrote: I dont really see AT combining 2 coasters at the smiler site but it could on less (cramped) rides.
I don't think we will see AT combining 2 coasters anyway. If they want to make it effective, and some what cool, they would have to build both coasters at the same. They won't combine the smiler with anything I don't think.
Baggie79

tobybob123 wrote:
Baggie79 wrote: First ever post but loved reading the forum for a long time.

I'm not sure what ride could fit in that tangle of track. If it was a drop ride on the vertical lift then it would be pretty rubbish. Only being 100ft (even smaller than Detonator)

It couldnt really be another coaster because. where would they put the track and to make it they would have to disassemble the smiler which would take ages.

I dont really see AT combining 2 coasters at the smiler site but it could on less (cramped) rides
Wasn't exclusively talking about being attached to the Smiler but its fair to say AT are running out of space so this sort of thing may be of use in the near future.
Danny

The Smiler in the snow, anyone?

JammyBand

Danny wrote: The Smiler in the snow, anyone?

That is the pic I've been waiting for. It shows the newly built section of the ride, zoomed out, clearly. (The snow is a bonus!) However, the snow has not been cleared in many areas, so it may affect construction yet. You can see half of the bunny hop, which means it is not a barrel roll. (thank goodness!) It looks just about steep enough to give us a pop of airtime, though not any where near as good as Speed at Oakwood. Doesn't appear to be any trims on it, so they must not be worried about the speed of the car as it passes over the bunny hop. Looking great!!!  :)
wolfy

taking shape now
iain.mears

118hazaman wrote: That I did not see. So at least we (I mainly mean myself, because I bet you guys have already noticed) know that the timelaspe 'speculation' is true. I am glad to hear it, cannot wait to watch the build from two angles.

the timelaspe's camera was there when i was at the towers on the 9 of august so they have been covering it from the very start !!!!! :clap: :evillaugh:
Roodlesnouter

JammyBand wrote:

That is the pic I've been waiting for. It shows the newly built section of the ride, zoomed out, clearly. (The snow is a bonus!) However, the snow has not been cleared in many areas, so it may affect construction yet. You can see half of the bunny hop, which means it is not a barrel roll. (thank goodness!) It looks just about steep enough to give us a pop of airtime, though not any where near as good as Speed at Oakwood. Doesn't appear to be any trims on it, so they must not be worried about the speed of the car as it passes over the bunny hop. Looking great!!!  :)
Bunny hops could well be will be trimmed. You can see sensors on the loop before them
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RCT3Bross

roodlesnouter wrote:
JammyBand wrote:

Bunny hops could well be will be trimmed. You can see sensors on the loop before them
In his defense the loop before that low speed hill you see isn't build yet. in your defense it doesn't meanthere won't be trims on the hill.  The top of the hill could still have trims as it has to one section and the top isn't reached yet. Wait and see what happens. :D
arsenalfan-1

The Terminator wrote:
MatthewR1990 wrote:
bryanycroft wrote: Might be going 18th may to AT, what are the chances of the smiler being open?  :|
Close to zero. Construction Is still only about half way. They still need to test it and theme it. Etc. it will be very mate May opening.
I'll second that, very little chance of it opening before June in my opinion, so much left to do and that's just the stuff you can see.
And still no lift hills? Normally these would be the first thing constructed so they can be wired in etc. what is the delay on these hills about. They surely can't be standard.
I personally think it will still open in May considering how confident AT are however I agree that the lifts probably aren't standard as they would have been constructed much earlier. :moj
Thanks Lewis97
getothing

I still think that in the second investment is a bunny hop, a zero g roll to finish the element,
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
tigzie1

Has anyone though of the worlds first vertical launched lift hill?
If you watch the 3D image u can scan off the Smiler Page you can see the car doesn't stop at the vertical lift hill and they could have stopped them on the render image. (People say it would be uncomfortable however the lift hills are in a field only a mile away... Why keep them out of the frame so late?  ;) :lol:

I personally think it will still open in May considering how confident AT are however I agree that the lifts probably aren't standard as they would have been constructed much earlier. :moj