The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
clayj

I wasn't greatly impressed with day breaks coverage (posted on here) this morning when I checked from the office, but my word, since I got home tonight the POV linked tonight is great ! The airtime hills look immense... Don't get me wrong, the inversions look brilliant, but we always knew the would. For me the airtime hills are a hidden punch which will take the majority of people by surprise ! Can't wait to see the effects from the marmiliser working to their full potential & interacting with the cars.... which hopefully will duel lol :moj Does this ride ever stop amazing me ?

Oh, the noise from the mandatory roll back system sounds brilliant lol
Last edited by clayj on Fri May 10, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
daveclarkedaveclarke

Everything is coming together now, lets just hope they get the dueling aspect done correctly and this will defiantly be a coaster that will take a lot of time to beat, in the pov she seems to sit there waiting to go up the vertical quite some time.
coasterdude_1

I'm so glad we had those 200 hours of testing...

Oh wait, I'm not sure there's even been 200 hours between fixing that support and the 'first member of the public'. ;-)

Seriously though, such an excellent addition. The pacing looks fantastic
Danny

Taken from the time lapse camera on Tuesday:

I cannot wait to see the time lapse in full!
Jmurphy55

RCandrew wrote:
Jmurphy55 wrote:
Stfcsteve wrote: The inversion record is awesome yes, but in the game you can see the inversions. And the unlockable first element is there. Which still makes me think there is still the secret element
Exactly.

I will be absolutely amazed if the only worlds first element is the inversion record.

They've been saying for ages that they will tell us what it is on opening day, they're not suddenly going to decide to change their minds 3 weeks before opening and plaster it on the front of a testing video where the ride isn't even finished.

Absolutely no chance.
Hey!
In the game, almost everything is quite spot on, and there are 7 'secret elements' so surely the 14 inversions cannot be the only thing? But then I have no clue what 7 of them could be?? And then what is the disorientator??  :)

Edit: the game actually calls them worlds firsts, 7 of them....??
Exactly.

Plus John Wardley and another AT representative have both said it will be revealed on opening day.

14 inversions is very impressive but to me they've marketed the ride as to having more. We'll see but I'm amazed if I'm wrong.
Barty

daveclarkedaveclarke wrote: Everything is coming together now, lets just hope they get the dueling aspect done correctly and this will defiantly be a coaster that will take a lot of time to beat, in the pov she seems to sit there waiting to go up the vertical quite some time.
Im in agreement, if they do get duelling good then its going to be the king of coasters! Im pretty sure why she was at the bottom of the lift hill for a long time... its because of the fact that there are TV monitors at the bottom of the lift hill which will be playing some sort of clip/effect on them when the ride is fully operational. As regards to asking my dad what the secret element is, i have tried many times but the closest i have got is him saying there are some surprises along the way, including indoors:))
RCandrew

Danny wrote: Taken from the time lapse camera on Tuesday:

Where do you see this time lapse camera?
Sorry if I'm being stupid  :oops:
Nathan Clulow97

Barty is your dad working on the smiler so to ask the question
lilrigz11

My opnions:
1. I think the world's first element is the washing machine.
2. The reason why they took a long time on the second lift hill is because the computer systems aren't fully installed and programed.
3. This coaster will be a beast and epic.
B3N7AM1N.712

Correct me if I'm wrong but why can I only count 10 inversions in the fully upgraded smiler game (no dive loops etc...)? or do you unlock these later when the ride opens? If so why?
:D THE SMILER :D
daveclarkedaveclarke

RCandrew wrote:
Danny wrote: Taken from the time lapse camera on Tuesday:

Where do you see this time lapse camera?
It was posted on twitter saying it was from the timelapse on tuesday night
Danny

RCandrew wrote: Where do you see this time lapse camera?
Not at all! The image was posted by Alton Towers on Twitter, who in turn took the image from their time lapse camera. The camera is installed on the roof of the Fried Chicken co restaurant :)
Nocama

B3N7AM1N.712 wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but why can I only count 10 inversions in the fully upgraded smiler game (no dive loops etc...)? or do you unlock these later when the ride opens? If so why?
You unlock these later on, you have to scan them at the theme park i think :) update your copy of the game on the app store and then when you next go to alton scan items there, this way you will get the extra elements
@jordywilsonmcr :)
Stfcsteve

Hopefully blue Peter do a better effort than daybreak did today, poor effort but looking at the surrounding areas nearly done :)
Last edited by Stfcsteve on Fri May 10, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wise men say.........
RCandrew

RCandrew wrote: Where do you see this time lapse camera?
Not at all! The image was posted by Alton Towers on Twitter, who in turn took the image from their time lapse camera. The camera is installed on the roof of the Fried Chicken co restaurant :)

Aw okay  :D I hope we will get to see the footage when the ride is complete, or some of it anyway!
temleh

Just a thought,

Secret element or not, they will have to test a train rolling back on the vertical lift to make sure those fins work in the case of a chain snap, again, regardless of whether it is to be part of the ride experience or not. With this in mind, if we see this tested - the speed (or lack of speed) of the 'fall' may give us a better picture as to whether a free fall drop will take place. :)

Just using my brain! ;)
Follow me on Instagram! @v05mattclay
JayJay90

also hints of a second worlds first here: http://www.behindthethemes.org/smiler-coaster/

" the second world first element has been kept under wraps since construction began back in September "
A

JayJay90 wrote: also hints of a second worlds first here: http://www.behindthethemes.org/smiler-coaster/

" the second world first element has been kept under wraps since construction began back in September "
Yes, but that report also said it was written on the 11th may... Perhaps not to be trusted  :?
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
Static Veins

Just rewatched the full-length Daybreak POV video, and when the train starts to ascend the 2nd lift hill you can see the left hand side (appears on the right in the video, since we're looking backwards) "Half Way Corrected" sign is missing the "D". Looking at the way a little bit of the letter's spine is still attached, it appears to have fallen off!

Tiny detail, but hope they get that fixed. "HALF WAY CORRECTE" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
JORDYGILL95

^^ Not my video, but shows extra footage of the '2nd' guest to ride the Smiler.
Last edited by JORDYGILL95 on Fri May 10, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.