The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
DrReeve

Maybe this ride has a sort of dark ride start to it. Then it will go out through the inversions such as a built up on the coaster. The Last project that merlin did with Gerstlauer was a scary sort of ride. In the room with the circle at the end instead of meeting jigsaw on saw the ride. Maybe you meet someone there
Image credit to Lewis97
NemmyJunkie

Thanks for the pictures, there's me thinking it was only a 10foot hole, how wrong I was!
JayJay90

WOW. this has changed so fast since i went a month ago! thats one HUGE hole! has everyone seen the spoiler? because this hole supports the whole thing
Marcus

Does anyone know if they are cutting any tree's down??

EDIT: Also is john wardley part of SW7?
Last edited by Marcus on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayJay90

just to add, has anyone got or have a link to the PDF document of the plans and such? i cant find them anywhere
PeteB

See our SW7 mini site for the plans: http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7
aldredd

Sorry for being dull, but could the hole turn out to be just that - a hole - within which the coaster will sit, as a way of getting around the height restriction?
Some of the plans do look to show this

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
Boz

yes, however we have already worked out that the excavations go right back under the shop. So some is for the coaster's clearances, and some is for an indoor section below the shop/station building.
MatthewR1990

A quick idea I had with obviously nothing to back it up is a track section that raises or lowers at the same time as inverting? Is that a worlds first?
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
JayJay90

Matthewr1990 wrote: A quick idea I had with obviously nothing to back it up is a track section that raises or lowers at the same time as inverting? Is that a worlds first?
Omg imagine it was like submissions circuit!
Mattfat1

Hi, first post, reading for a while but never had anything to say, I'm at AT today and there's some rebar cubes in the bottom of the hole gone in today in a very peculiar fashion. I've took some pics on my gopro so I'll upload later and you could possibly work out a track layout from them if they are the track support foundations. Also some vertical rebar and concrete walls starting to appear around the edges
The Moon

We know the layout already. Just not in the 'Magical' section.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
Mattfat1

Yeh thats what i mean, that's where the cubes are in the bottom of the "magical" deepest bit of the hole
Morgano

What are you waiting for, get the images up :)
Mattfat1

ry1996

^ Doesnt show?
Nightfall

Fixed for you  :)

The URL was correct but you must have used the [img][\img] command incorrectly.
[align=center]Image[/align]
The Terminator

I'll stick my neck out now and state there is no way this is going to be finished by March. That pit looks like quite a vast area of underground coaster that needs lining with concrete and allowing to set before any building or track can be laid.
It is now coming into possibly the wettest winter on record so not a chance this will be ready on time.
I WILL be back
Nightfall

Quite possibly so. Admittedly once the track is in place the ride should go up fairly rapidly but this is undoubtedly a lot further behind than all the other recent projects.

However the park still seems to be confident. They only recently announced the opening as the 16th which they wouldn’t have done if they were worried about the deadline. Plus although Th13teen only just managed to open on time it was actually physically complete several months before opening but there were delays to the final phase of construction due to problems in testing*. Hopefully SW7 will not have the same issue.

*I believe they tried using the same Hydraulic Fluid as Rita on the drop but it failed badly, don't quote me on that though as it's been a while. However I’m fairly sure it was a hydraulic issue that caused the delay as when on a tour of the crypt someone explained that the green moss coloured stains weren’t part of the theme but leaked hydraulic fluid. They never cleaned it up as it looked appropriate  :P
[align=center]Image[/align]
The Terminator

Nightfall wrote: Quite possibly so. Admittedly once the track is in place the ride should go up fairly rapidly but this is undoubtedly a lot further behind than all the other recent projects.

However the park still seems to be confident. They only recently announced the opening as the 16th which they wouldn’t have done if they were worried about the deadline. Plus although Th13teen only just managed to open on time it was actually physically complete several months before opening but there were delays to the final phase of construction due to problems in testing*. Hopefully SW7 will not have the same issue.

*I believe they tried using the same Hydraulic Fluid as Rita on the drop but it failed badly, don't quote me on that though as it's been a while. However I’m fairly sure it was a hydraulic issue that caused the delay as when on a tour of the crypt someone explained that the green moss coloured stains weren’t part of the theme but leaked hydraulic fluid. They never cleaned it up as it looked appropriate  :P
I agree Tim the track won't take long to put up but the pit still has to be lined and covered and a building to construct plus all of the foundations and they haven't even started to landscape the area for the vertical lift yet.
This project seems miles behind to me and I deal in large installs/projects.
I'd like to be wrong but there is one hell of a lot of work still to be done and this is not the right time of year.
I WILL be back