The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

aircanman wrote:
dustymacdexter wrote: do any of you think the lights could be for some kind of pre-show?
They could well be, but that is a lot of lights for a pre show, something which will be taken down quite quickly, and even renting them doesn't come cheap, we could confirm this with a close up of one of those boxes!
Also Towersnerd's earlier photo showed lights around The Marmaliser, which makes me think that they're not permanent...
Instant Mix

If they are permanent, it would explain why the queue completely avoids the base of the marmaliser by a couple of metres. I don't think they are though, those kind of permanent lights usually have some cover on them to prevent damage by moisture or rain

TPM2013

Just received this information from someone who has just spoken to someone on the site of The Smiler ! " just spoke to on site guys and they informed me that testing should have started last night however the car was far too close to some of the track and testing was delayed. They also said that there will be 100 hours of testing starting ASAP maybe tonight. "
Hazbean

Instant Mix wrote: If they are permanent, it would explain why the queue completely avoids the base of the marmaliser by a couple of metres. I don't think they are though, those kind of permanent lights usually have some cover on them to prevent damage by moisture or rain

There what appears to be a couple of uninflated light covers in the picture from Facebook that Towersnerd out up. They do all look pretty temporary though.
Stern John

TPM2013 wrote: Just received this information from someone who has just spoken to someone on the site of The Smiler ! " just spoke to on site guys and they informed me that testing should have started last night however the car was far too close to some of the track and testing was delayed. They also said that there will be 100 hours of testing starting ASAP maybe tonight. "
I would have thought if the car was too close to some track then it would take longer than a day to get it up and running again?
TPM2013

Maybe it was only just a little bit to close to the track so that wouldn't be to hard to fix !
Ben-TT

Just a quick update about that lighting gear: As someone has said, they are ROBE fixtures. Nothing special, just a brand of high performance lighting. I would guess that these are temporary, probably only for today. As someone said, if they were permanent, they would have the blow-up condoms on. If you look at the above pictures of them under the bunny hop, you can see that they even still have their flight case bases on. They clearly aren't going to be there for long.

My best guess is that they will be used tonight for testing to provide some sexy and atmospheric lighting for ITV to film. "Top Secret Test". Something like that.
Evostance

TPM2013 wrote: Maybe it was only just a little bit to close to the track so that wouldn't be to hard to fix !
Weren't the grinding part of the vertical lift in a video?  Couldn't simply have been that
Fishfingerish

Too close to the track? Surely the car is meant to be ON the track, wha, ah, I jus... Yeah
Towers Times' resident Muser

Oh yes! Please check out my YouTube channel if it's not too painful:
www.youtube.com/user/hpvideosofficial
andy_sj

They were grinding away the edge of the chain guide channel, possibly at a joint in the channel, maybe catching on the chain when it's running.
aircanman

Fishfingerish wrote: Too close to the track? Surely the car is meant to be ON the track, wha, ah, I jus... Yeah
Think of the tolerance of the fins for the brakes etc, there is going to be some slight adjustments.
Danny

The last Marmaliser foot is currently being installed:

coreylee106

Danny wrote: The last Marmaliser foot is currently being installed:

Hope they sort that dint out  :roll:
Tom_Jephson

coreylee106 wrote:
Danny wrote: The last Marmaliser foot is currently being installed:

Hope they sort that dint out  :roll:
I think its the reflection of his drill playing tricks.
For a better start in life, start smiling earlier!
haydn!

With testing already started, have they fixed the gaping hole between the track and one of the supports? Just above where they we're welding the additional bits in last week?
Tom_Jephson

haydn! wrote: With testing already started, have they fixed the gaping hole between the track and one of the supports? Just above where they we're welding the additional bits in last week?
No they haven't, Instead they have put in additional heavy duty washers between the support and the track to make up the extra distance.
For a better start in life, start smiling earlier!
aircanman

haydn! wrote: With testing already started, have they fixed the gaping hole between the track and one of the supports? Just above where they we're welding the additional bits in last week?
We still have no confirmation that testing has started.
Nathan Clulow97

There must be a worlds first on this ride apart from inversions also the whole area of the smiler looks a load of rubbish it needs to be cleaned up
Nocama

Danny wrote: Pretty confident we know the secret, seeing as it was revealed on the back of a box of Krave  :|
When was this on the back of krave? sorry to go off topic
Last edited by Nocama on Mon May 06, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@jordywilsonmcr :)
Fishfingerish

Nocama wrote:
Danny wrote: Pretty confident we know the secret, seeing as it was revealed on the back of a box of Krave  :|

When was this on the back of krave? sorry to go off topic
See marketing
Last edited by Fishfingerish on Mon May 06, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Towers Times' resident Muser

Oh yes! Please check out my YouTube channel if it's not too painful:
www.youtube.com/user/hpvideosofficial