The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Shangalaing

DeeJayUK wrote:
Shangalaing wrote: Could the curved brake track be the top of the first hill, it it was a launched hill they would have a brake at the top of the hill to stop the train if its speed was too low to prevent it stalling midway through the multiple inversions afterwards.

If they had a trim at the top of a launch hill I would assume it would be to slow it down to regulate the speed so as the cars don't enter the main coaster elements with too much speed and G's.
LSM launches are a lot more controllable than an air or hydraulic launch. I suspect if it is a launched hill then the brakes will be to prevent stalling. If it is a launch before the hill then you could very well be right.
Kiss my oblivion
mphillips16

seeing all the different brakes and trim makes me think about the worlds first feature.i had the idea when looking through towers2gos photos the one of the smiler game it says halfway converted maybe the feature could be half way through at the second lift hill the ride the train splits in two leaving one on the hill it could explain the braked curved track  just a thought but maybe
Last edited by mphillips16 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
planned trips this year
Alton Towers
Fantasy Island
Pleasure Island
Bottons Pleasure Beach
Flamingo land
getothing

I do not think, in ads the train is full, I think what the converter will have something to do, but it is clear that the first word is at the washing machine.

I think the brakes on the part of the curve is llift hill, nothing else is Brake g forces are not too intense.
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
Rollercoasters4Life

This is where these two humps with trims on will go in my opinion:

JammyBand

Rollercoasters4Life wrote: This is where these two humps with trims on will go in my opinion:

I agree. Hope we see some awesome airtime there!
Capt.Barnacles

I would love to see the trims there, but looking at the side view of the plans, the radius of the hills is too wide to match the piece of track we have seen. There's a possibility it goes at the top of one of the main drops to make sure the train doesn't fly through the inversions too quickly. But yeah, it would be nice to see the trims on those airtime hills.
andy_sj

Why would you want to see trims on the airtime hills??  :? It's only going to slow the train and kill what could be some crazy good ejector airtime in my opinion...
James-Allgood

Trims or not the airtime is still gonna be great!
Ripsaw Raver

it would be about ride ruin some good sections with breaks, how about design a coaster that doesnt rely on the bloody things. I mean its th13teens biggest downfall
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Sam198

Ripsaw Raver wrote: it would be about ride ruin some good sections with breaks, how about design a coaster that doesnt rely on the bloody things. I mean its th13teens biggest downfall
Nemesis? ;)

But no, trims are often essential in order to keep a ride safe and comfortable. :)

Even when this is the case they're usually only there as a means of preventing overspeeding, so they're not always engaged.
Last edited by Sam198 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
getothing

No, the ornaments will be after each curve after uploading lift.Me mean, you raise the lift, turn the corner and trim, flash slide into the sea serpent roll or inmenlan.

the lines are the brakes/ornaments

the circle are a posible inversion.
Last edited by getothing on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
Hmv

The trim brakes on air are not actually wired up at the request of John Wardley, this is why their covered in moss :)
Sam198

Hmv wrote: The trim brakes on air are not actually wired up at the request of John Wardley, this is why their covered in moss :)
This is also true, although I'm fairly sure it was because they simply weren't needed in the end... (for the same reasons as I posted above)

Just a reminder to try to avoid straying too far off topic.

Thanks! :)
Rollercoasters4Life

getothing wrote: No, the ornaments will be after each curve after uploading lift.Me mean, you raise the lift, turn the corner and trim, flash slide into the sea serpent roll or inmenlan.

the lines are the brakes/ornaments

the circle are a posible inversion.
Could be although the drops (especially the second one after the vertical lift) looks a little twisted and neither of the pieces sort of twist to the right.
PhNx Survivor

You know, by watching that video on 'Towers2Go's' Blog, it really shows all that concrete, track, supports, and pre-made footers and anything else there... Is really waiting on the ground work to be finished...

I don't know if anyone saw that post that was on the TowersTimes wall, but it showed Oblivion's Catwalk and corner right at the top (Looking great black btw) but I noticed, peaking through the netting was The Smiler's site, if the picture was recent like this week, not much steel is up by the looks of the 10 seconds I got, but I think there's been a lot of ground work done... What I'm getting at, I think they're getting all the ground done, then the track and supports and concrete and theming and everything else will fly up.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Phild94

Those trim brakes definitely look like they're going over the airtime hills, they couldn't be after any of the life hills because both of the tester hills in the plans show them turning either left or right and there is no twist in these tracks at all.... unless it banks at 90 degrees after each of the lifts.... in which case they may as well have done the inline drops that were mentioned a while back

i hope they do these inline drops because that would be a nice inversion to do... much smoother than full vertical loops or (what i see as) the dreaded quadruple heart-line roll of colossus

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
sque132

Alton Towers twitter just posted:

Alton Towers ‏@altontowers
Feels like a photo update for #TheSmiler is due tomorrow... what do you think?

:joy:
Born This Way Ball 08/09/2012 :)
Jack

sque132 wrote: Alton Towers twitter just posted:

cool, my eyes will be glued to the screen tomorrow :moj
fishdalf

jackandylan123 wrote:
sque132 wrote: Alton Towers twitter just posted:

cool, my eyes will be glued to the screen tomorrow :moj
I'd rather have one off of M17 because I'm sure we'll get to see better angles. =P
nodestinyx