The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Kirsty25

Guys can we stick to the topic of the smiler, not how far we live from towers!
Posts about the distance people live from towers has now been removed, thanks
Last edited by Kirsty25 on Tue May 21, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hurri

Soft opening today and tomorrow is entirely plausible, though unlikely. I suspect if it was happening we'd know for sure with photographic evidence before long.
bbooth2

why would they do a soft opening if the competition day on Wednesday is likely to be cancelled due to a fault?
MatthewR1990

bbooth2 wrote: why would they do a soft opening if the competition day on Wednesday is likely to be cancelled due to a fault?
You're assuming the email this guy got is legit. He could be making everything up. I'm not saying he is. But we have no solid evidence other than a quote and hear say. And we all know that isn't confirmation.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
jbuckton18

MatthewR1990 wrote:
bbooth2 wrote: why would they do a soft opening if the competition day on Wednesday is likely to be cancelled due to a fault?
You're assuming the email this guy got is legit. He could be making everything up. I'm not saying he is. But we have no solid evidence other than a quote and hear say. And we all know that isn't confirmation.
Plus on that suppossed e-mail , did AT even confirm there was an actual fault with the ride ? i dont think they did. They just said they cancelled it. Please correct me if im wrong !! :)
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
coastercrazy18

I am happy to see that we will reach a big milestone this week. I am booking my appointment with Dr Kelmon in July for the weekend I can't wait and I love The Smiler advert by the way.
its always good to go to the dentist so you can get a better smile :D
RCD27

Even if the email is legit, there is nothing stating there is a problem. They could simply be saying it can't be done on Wednesday.

I find it unlikely that they are just asking random people especially when parts of it still aren't finished. It's easy watching one or two members of the press whist they ride it but having 16 excited people could be a H&S nightmare. Also it would render the competition pointless.
Sonic Saw Stealth Smiler
bbooth2

I could try and go back and find the comment that the contestant winner wrote,

im fairly certain they said there was a problem, which Is why I freaked out quite abit cause ive booked time off work to ride and really do not want to waste a day off work if that is the case.

I am not saying this email alton towers have received could be legit im simply saying I think its stupid the idea of a soft opening, and they will not be picking random people from the park to ride. could you imagine the GP's outrage if they weren't chosen to ride it but some other little kids where...

wouldn't happen im afraid.
bbooth2

And to be honest If someone got asked if they wanted to ride it and I was stood there and didn't get picked, I would most certainly kick off
bencase

The competition winner is me, and the email was absolutely legit - see original post I made over on Thorpe Park Mania here: http://forum.maniahub.com/topic/7601-the-smiler/?p=159223

The email did not specify why the planned Wednesday preview date was likely to be pushed to Thursday; I had inferred from the last minute support work that it might be something related to this - but could be completely wrong.

Have still yet to hear from the Park on finalised plans!
bbooth2

cheers for that mate, could you keep us updated one way or another on the emails?
glen191

If there is a delay because of the support shown in the update photos yesterday I think someone should be getting there backsides kicked .this should have been sorted when the track was finished. I must admit coming from an engineering back ground that all those packing washers did not look to clever .
Kirsty25

glen191 wrote: If there is a delay because of the support shown in the update photos yesterday I think someone should be getting there backsides kicked .this should have been sorted when the track was finished. I must admit coming from an engineering back ground that all those packing washers did not look to clever .
maybe they were awaiting a part to fix it properly but needed to start testing to hit the proposed opening date and now the part has arrived, that makes most sense to me...
Hitch

glen191 wrote: If there is a delay because of the support shown in the update photos yesterday I think someone should be getting there backsides kicked .this should have been sorted when the track was finished. I must admit coming from an engineering back ground that all those packing washers did not look to clever .
I think they are literally just checking it to make sure there isnt to much force on the bolts from the support moving. wasn't that support the one that was left un concreted? , in which case they are checking it before they concrete it in properly.
jamesc

James97 wrote:
I think they are literally just checking it to make sure there isnt to much force on the bolts from the support moving. wasn't that support the one that was left un concreted? , in which case they are checking it before they concrete it in properly.
They may not concrete it in, as they could be awaiting a new support that is a bit higher.
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!
JAMMYD777

A nice little video here showing some mounted on-ride shots and the legend himself, John Wardley.

SW7:
Oblividoom

Ok. Chill.

It'l be open soon. No more "the delay is because...".

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Boz

bencase wrote: The competition winner is me, and the email was absolutely legit - see original post I made over on Thorpe Park Mania here: http://forum.maniahub.com/topic/7601-the-smiler/?p=159223

The email did not specify why the planned Wednesday preview date was likely to be pushed to Thursday; I had inferred from the last minute support work that it might be something related to this - but could be completely wrong.

I can back this up too, I know Ben personally from well before TT, you lucky sod!!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Boz wrote:
bencase wrote: The competition winner is me, and the email was absolutely legit - see original post I made over on Thorpe Park Mania here: http://forum.maniahub.com/topic/7601-the-smiler/?p=159223

I can back this up too, I know Ben personally from well before TT, you lucky sod!!
And he's listed on The Smiler website here, along with Reece who's another member on here.
----reece----

So I have a new email.....

We won't get our smiler preview till Thursday morning before everyone and I have work .. So looks like il be taking my free fast pass to ride on Friday... Such a let down I won't get to 'preview'