The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
DaveBear

Well if you look closer it suggests that you are about to be treated to optical procedures, and we see what looks like Hypnotic Type stuff on the Screens....

This also confers to what someone told me on youtube...
aircanman

I remember when the Daybreak weather girl was on there that airtime hill looked quite violent, so they may have done that just to calm it down a little!
Roodlesnouter

hambletwins wrote: uber excited to see it in full swing now! will be glued to the computer for thursday!
Join us. For tt live from Wednesday.  ;)
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James-Allgood

can not wait for thursday travelling 200 miles for this ride! :D
TomL

Maybe the optical illusions could be those on the back of the seats as you willl have a straight view of those going up the lifts...
Danny

TomL wrote: Maybe the optical illusions could be those on the back of the seats as you willl have a straight view of those going up the lifts...
That's exactly what I thought but surely you would see them on the brake runs etc;
Deejay

I dont like how the track has crushed those bolts into the support. Thats big movement already. I can see this causing issues :/
Barty

Just got very excited that the smiler advert just came on whilst I was watching tv :) only one week till I go!!
TheOutpatient

I wonder if they'll weld a bit of tube on like they did with the other.
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Mon May 20, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Phild94

TheOutpatient wrote: I wonder if they'll weld a bit of tube on like they did with the other.
I thought that they would just slide in a few steel shims to attach it fully to the support.... dont see why they haven't sorted this sooner tbh :/

58 Hrs 4 Minutes

:moj

#getcorrected

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
jmed

I find it interesting hot the Central news piece on youtube has a lot of hints towards the technology of facial recognition technology detecting your mood and adjusting the ride to increase happiness/decrease nausea etc. I get the impression this is the illusion they will try to create, although it wont actually happen. I think the screens will show footage from the riders, filmed from the back of the seats, with text implying that the marmaliser will 'activate' to increase smiles.
Ripsaw Raver

Just like to say on the POV of the Express reporter, one can clearly see our glass floor in shop, just as you come down the drop and bank you go under there EDIT
That too me looks like a glass floor
Last edited by Ripsaw Raver on Tue May 21, 2013 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
sully1311

Ripsaw Raver wrote: Just like to say on the POV of the Express reporter, one can clearly see our glass floor in shop, just as you come down the drop and bank you go under there EDIT
That too me looks like a glass floor
It's already been spotted!! http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/the-smil ... #msg735724

80 posts ago!
Last edited by sully1311 on Tue May 21, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ripsaw Raver

i do apologise, i haven't read back that far been quite busy.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
jbuckton18

Strange ! My good friend is at Alton Towers now waiting for it to open as we speak and he said that AT staff dressed in Smiler costume are taking people away into a 'behind the scenes' room near the pre booked ticket booths  and apparently are going to be testing the ride with the first members of the GP. Anyone on park today that can confirm this ? He also said it seems to be random as well and they are asking everyone if they would like to test out the smiler today.
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
CoasterBen

roodlesnouter wrote:
Closer Still, was hard to shoot these but you get the idea from these pics.

Thanks so much for your awesome updates. Just thinking, if the Marmaliser is to show rider photos on its screens, what better place to take the photos than whilst everyone is looking up towards the screens. Are there any cameras in this area?
Last edited by CoasterBen on Tue May 21, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
bbooth2

jbuckton18 wrote: Strange ! My good friend is at Alton Towers now waiting for it to open as we speak and he said that AT staff dressed in Smiler costume are taking people away into a 'behind the scenes' room near the pre booked ticket booths  and apparently are going to be testing the ride with the first members of the GP. Anyone on park today that can confirm this ? He also said it seems to be random as well and they are asking everyone if they would like to test out the smiler today.
highly doubtful if the competition winners have been told that Wednesday could be a no go.. they wouldn't let gp on before opening day aswell.
jbuckton18

bbooth2 wrote:
jbuckton18 wrote: Strange ! My good friend is at Alton Towers now waiting for it to open as we speak and he said that AT staff dressed in Smiler costume are taking people away into a 'behind the scenes' room near the pre booked ticket booths  and apparently are going to be testing the ride with the first members of the GP. Anyone on park today that can confirm this ? He also said it seems to be random as well and they are asking everyone if they would like to test out the smiler today.
highly doubtful if the competition winners have been told that Wednesday could be a no go.. they wouldn't let gp on before opening day aswell.
Unless they are letting the competition winners on today ? Wasn't it meant to be yesterday but had to cancel due to that issue with the support ?
bbooth2

one of the winners said they received an email yesterday, telling him that the original plan was for the winners to ride on Wednesday, but due to a problem it would be postponed to Thursday morning before the gp are allowed access into the park, I am unsure though
jbuckton18

bbooth2 wrote: one of the winners said they received an email yesterday, telling him that the original plan was for the winners to ride on Wednesday, but due to a problem it would be postponed to Thursday morning before the gp are allowed access into the park, I am unsure though
Ah okay , well im not too sure anyway , i have just been informed that this is happening.