The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Owen

DoubleOh7 wrote: Please can I ask a really dumb question? I love coasters/rides/theming but I am not very up on the technical side of things.

The sign says uses strong magnetic fields - which bit of the ride does this relate to?

again, sorry for the dumb question....
The braking system is magnetic  ;)
Saz

Excuse my ignorance, but why are there two entrances to the queueline (i.e. the entrance 'arch' and the entrances to the single rider, disabled and fastrack queues show in the photos above). Is it because the main queue begins at the entrance arch but the other three queues begin in another location?
Yes it's a floating hedgehog.
Roodlesnouter

Kirsty25 wrote: Really good pictures roodles! Any idea what was causing the trouble at last nights and this mornings press events?
No idea Kirsty, tried to find out but nobody seemed to know anything.

I nearly ended up on the event though, I wandered down to The Smiler and was taking a few pics, including the yellow carpet one. An Alton  Towers Rep came over and asked me if I was "with the group?", because I had a camera and was taking shots he thought I was media LOL, I hadn't noticed the whole area was blocked off and I was the only one down there  :oops:. I had to own up and after a brief chat about what was happening I was asked politely to leave. Media  :roll:
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kieran141

One issue that the smiler is gonna have is the amount of people  who are gonna be sick on this ride and to make it worse the que goes underneath the coaster I hope they have lots of sick bins for where you exit the ride
Jimbo1

are they going to theme the top and bottom of the marmaliser?  i hope to god they are like the concept arts , they spend all this effort on it they can't leave it looking unfinished ?  Anyone know whats happening with this?
garfield3gs

roodlesnouter wrote:
Kirsty25 wrote: Really good pictures roodles! Any idea what was causing the trouble at last nights and this mornings press events?
I nearly ended up on the event though, I wandered down to The Smiler and was taking a few pics, including the yellow carpet one. An Alton  Towers Rep came over and asked me if I was "with the group?", because I had a camera and was taking shots he thought I was media LOL, I hadn't noticed the whole area was blocked off and I was the only one down there  :oops:. I had to own up and after a brief chat about what was happening I was asked politely to leave. Media  :roll:
You are towerstimes media roodles so you should of been aloud! Great photos once again, your updates since the beginning have been amazing. I think them new signs in the queue are pointing to a pre show what a lot of us predicted. Well roll on completion and let's all hope they get the issues corrected before opening.
Hitch

garfield3gs wrote:
roodlesnouter wrote:
You are towerstimes media roodles so you should of been aloud! Great photos once again, your updates since the beginning have been amazing. I think them new signs in the queue are pointing to a pre show what a lot of us predicted. Well roll on completion and let's all hope they get the issues corrected before opening.
Theres definitely going to be a pre show, listen to this -
Themeparksandy1981

I wonder why after spending 18m on this good looking coaster why they thought of not doing much to the outside of the station building. Just looks like they went to B&Q and brought cheap pipes and painted them Yellow. Everything else puts it up there with King Nemesis but that station to me puts it in the spinball station class.
PeteB

roodlesnouter wrote: Image
I'm very disappointed with Oblivion's exit hole.  There is absolutely no need for 6ft high fencing to be around that pond. The pond always had a low fence.

Apart from that it has needed a good clean since about 1999 which up to now they haven't bothered with. It must be the only part of X Sector which hasn't had any work done.

Seems like Towers have gone fence crazy this year, what with the excessive one all around The Smiler and that application they made to put high fences all over the gardens - which I'm pleased got rejected!
RCandrew

Theres definitely going to be a pre show, listen to this -
Sounds similar to what you hear in oblivions!
Danny

Well I can't wait to see what the 'correction block' is! Sounds very exciting :) excellent photo update roodles! In the picture where the queue splits into three there is no line for the normal queue, so will the normal queue and fast track be the doors round the right side of e building and the disabled and single rider will go through the doors facing oblivion?
MatthewR1990

PeteB wrote:
roodlesnouter wrote: Image
I'm very disappointed with Oblivion's exit hole.  There is absolutely no need for 6ft high fencing to be around that pond. The pond always had a low fence.

Apart from that it has needed a good clean since about 1999 which up to now they haven't bothered with. It must be the only part of X Sector which hasn't had any work done.

Seems like Towers have gone fence crazy this year, what with the excessive one all around The Smiler and that application they made to put high fences all over the gardens - which I'm pleased got rejected!
I do believe that high fence is because there is a big drop behind it. They had to raise the floor to level it off with the smiler shop exit. Round the front of the pool it still has the small fence.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
TheSmiler1998

I just worked out the second world first guys!
Worlds first rollercoaster to decapitate riders as part of the ride experience!
On a serious note I'm salivating to see the pre show!
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
Danny

Are all these yellow panels going on the floor where the public can walk over? I hope not as they will get really dirty really quickly!
clayj

RE : fence height.... Continuity of fencing across the ride perhaps ?
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
JayJay90

True. And didn't a guy climb over and down into the tunnel last time from there? Maybe it's higher to stop that happening again
Phild94

I didn't think I would be so happy to see so little happening in updates (regarding the construction obviously not due to the ride not running)

It means that they are finally on the verge of completion :D and as always thanks roodles for the fantastic pictures :D

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
Ladyofthelake

Do we know if the single rider queue will be operating from opening?

(Sorry if this is not the right topic to ask in - I'm new around here!)
RCandrew

I guess that blue next to the yellow is just a covering on white not actually blue? :lol:
Hmv

Yeh working at AT I can say since the oblivion incident of the guy in the hole a lot of checks have been done on ride area fencing all over the resort, so my guess is that's why we have the 6ft high fence.