The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Heisenberg96

hambletwins wrote: well today's posts have been fairly terrible! All I have seen all day is people come on. express there view on what they think the SE will be or the just something new they have found. This is followed by a large discussion taking up 2 pages! Then a moderator telling them to move it to the speculation topic. and what do you do? you complain here about how your not allowed to speculate. there is a whole topic for you to speculate in!! please stop complaining about not being able to when you can quite easily go to the topic right beside this one and put your ideas there! I'm on this topic to see updates and people in general saying what they are looking forward to about this and how excited they are about this! not to see a bunch of people rambling on for 10 pages about what they think is missing and "there must be something more". it's been pretty bad this past week but today was just terrible!
Lets be honest, there were so many more posts moaning about speculators than anything else yesterday. The reason the likes of myself and Adrian butted in is because for the majority of the day there were complaints about how negative speculators were and that they ruin the mood...nobody has said The Smiler will be ruined if there's no other SE. I understand this topic is strictly for construction and general discussion but what harm is there in a little bit of 'how good would it be if...' or 'I'd love to see a...'? It just spices up discussion rather than a long string of facts. Actually, there can't be much more construction updates now?

Maybe it's because people thought they could post freely to help conversation flow without having to think about where to put it. Everyone assumes as soon as someone says 'what if another SE was...' that as soon as they say this it's like 'if this isn't on the ride it will be rubbish. Nobody is saying that! The only negativity is people ranting on about speculators being wrong and ruining the experience on the day...to which I wonder, how?

If people can't use their imagination and are being such Nazis about which post goes where...it's sort of a party pooper.

Just saying - but I'm sure most of you will disagree and think I'll just hate the Smiler anyway because I question maybe there could be another SE.

I will return to my speculation discussion hole now... :)
GigaSurimi

Sorry to interrupt the speculation/non-speculation debate, but I just want to go back to the facts and point out that I am absolutely amazed by the amount of attention given to all the little details of the Smiler  :shock:

From the little bits of paints there and there on the smiler legs, the plants and grass, the painting in general, the Marmaliser's legs, the "stickers" thingy on the concrete, to the piping of the station, even the fancing and paving, wow!! It really looks and feel like absolutely NOTHING has been left aside, which is crazy in such a large scale project.

When I first saw the concept art for the marmaliser months ago, I was one of those thinking "well now that's nice, would be good if we see half of it achieved in reality" (it's pessimistic, but eh, look at the Air concept art and its infamous tunnel haha) and look at it now, it is even better! Just WOW! Very very very well done, AT.
Last edited by GigaSurimi on Thu May 16, 2013 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jbuckton18

GigaSurimi wrote: Sorry to interrupt the speculation/non-speculation debate, but I just want to go back to the facts and point out that I am absolutely amazed by the amount of attention given to all the little details of the Smiler  :shock:

From the little bits of paints there and there on the smiler legs, the plants and grass, the painting in general, the Marmaliser's legs, the "stickers" thingy on the concrete, to the piping of the station, even the fancing and paving, wow!! It really looks and feel like absolutely NOTHING has been left aside, which is crazy in such a large scale project.

When I first saw the concept art for the marmaliser months ago, I was one of those thinking "well now that's nice, would be good if we see half of it achieved in reality" (it's pessimistic, but eh, look at the Air concept art and its infamous tunnel haha) and look at it now, it is even better! Just WOW! Very very very well done, AT.
I agree. I 100% believe that it's the small minor details that go into a ride really make a ride ( aswell as the multiple drops and inversions of course!) Im actually happy that the ride has opened when it's actually 100% ready. We have seen rides in the past that have opened with only half landscaping done and half working special effects etc etc and to me makes the ride look incomplete and just gives the ride a bit of negativity around it :/ But The Smiler looks to be putting every minor detail onto the ride area and layout and once finished , will look amazing !!To be honest it's also the first time ill be looking forward to queuing over 2 hours! I mean queuing underneath the track will be amazing ! So intense !
Last edited by jbuckton18 on Thu May 16, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
TheOutpatient

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: If anyone from Alton is reading this, please tear the tickler down! ;)
Jelous.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
CoasterCrazyChris

Kathy wrote:
CoasterCrazyChris wrote: If anyone from Alton is reading this, please tear the tickler down! ;)
There's just no pleasing some people these days, stop being so ungreatful
Oops....looks like i've upset some fanboys.

I'm so sorry.
Kirsty25

The last photo update was put up on the mini site under construction. As for the interview, we have encountered a couple of glitches with regards to interviews and we hope to bring something soon.
tangerine_hat

Heisenberg96 wrote: I've got no issue with the Smiler being the worlds first 14 looping coaster, it's great. What could have been better was how AT worded it...perhaps it would have been better to say 'the world beating coaster coming to Alton Towers' rather than 'worlds first'?
If you say 'worlds first' people will think of completely new inventions whereas 'world beating' suggests an improvement or rebranding of an existing invention. That's the sole reason I believed there was another SE until now - because by 'worlds first' I thought AT meant it new concepts such as on their previous rides.
I guess it is a world's first, but maybe a little rephrasing would have made us get the picture.

I do wonder why it's being called 'secret' though - people on this forum have been talking about 14 inversions since March.
With all due respect dude NO ONE knows the full details of the ride. In the opening stages there may be a Worlds First! Therefore no need for rephrasing!
Heisenberg96

tangerine_hat wrote:
Heisenberg96 wrote: I've got no issue with the Smiler being the worlds first 14 looping coaster, it's great. What could have been better was how AT worded it...perhaps it would have been better to say 'the world beating coaster coming to Alton Towers' rather than 'worlds first'?
If you say 'worlds first' people will think of completely new inventions whereas 'world beating' suggests an improvement or rebranding of an existing invention. That's the sole reason I believed there was another SE until now - because by 'worlds first' I thought AT meant it new concepts such as on their previous rides.
I guess it is a world's first, but maybe a little rephrasing would have made us get the picture.

I do wonder why it's being called 'secret' though - people on this forum have been talking about 14 inversions since March.
With all due respect dude NO ONE knows the full details of the ride. In the opening stages there may be a Worlds First! Therefore no need for rephrasing!
True, very true...just that if what we know now doesn't change then maybe it's for the better
DaveBear

Well Wardley has said there are many surprises and a Never Been Done Before that we will not see until opening day and you can only experience it by Ridding the Ride.

So are these Surprises, even to people who never seen the Smiler before apart from when they go and walk past the Ride or stop and examine it...

14 Inversions.... Nope!

Marmaliser Props on Legs Nope!

None of these are surprises,  we can all see them, ok seeing them and experiencing them are going to be different but the Marmaliser Visual Features well you would barely notice them as much while on Ride,  especially people who get scared of Thrill Rides.

As this is Wardley's last Ride, and as it carries the SW Trademark i cant see it being just a World Record 14 Looper with Gimmicks stuff on the Marmaliser Legs that are meant to distract the rider as they go around the Track... Sorry the biggest distraction is the Track, its tight and 14 inversions its going to be intense and so much so that the G Forces and Speed and Twists and Loops will distract riders so much that the Marmaliser Props will be merely a Gimmick that you notice more when your not on the Ride.

There has to be more to the Train and Marmaliser than we have been shown.
jbuckton18

DaveBear wrote: Well Wardley has said there are many surprises and a Never Been Done Before that we will not see until opening day and you can only experience it by Ridding the Ride.

So are these Surprises, even to people who never seen the Smiler before apart from when they go and walk past the Ride or stop and examine it...

14 Inversions.... Nope!

Marmaliser Props on Legs Nope!

None of these are surprises,  we can all see them, ok seeing them and experiencing them are going to be different but the Marmaliser Visual Features well you would barely notice them as much while on Ride,  especially people who get scared of Thrill Rides.

As this is Wardley's last Ride, and as it carries the SW Trademark i cant see it being just a World Record 14 Looper with Gimmicks stuff on the Marmaliser Legs that are meant to distract the rider as they go around the Track... Sorry the biggest distraction is the Track, its tight and 14 inversions its going to be intense and so much so that the G Forces and Speed and Twists and Loops will distract riders so much that the Marmaliser Props will be merely a Gimmick that you notice more when your not on the Ride.

There has to be more to the Train and Marmaliser than we have been shown.
Sorry but like other forum member have said in the past , you are building yourself up for major disappointment. You are going to sit down on that ride and think ''oo nice a secret element is coming up , what could it be ? '' when really chances are there isnt anything else to this ride that what we have already seen and/or know about e.g. the flasher etc. Unfortunately i have to say this but why on earth on you doing this ? Isn't the 14 inversions and the Marmi effects not good enough already ? Don't set yourself up for disappointment because then you will walk off that ride NOT SMILING and well the MoJ can't have that can they !? ;) In all seriousness though, stop bigging this ride up thinking SE's will come into play that NOBODY knows about ! It would be FANTASTIC if it did happen BUT it's probably not :/ so just relax and enjoy what's there already.

EDIT: Just read that back and thought it may sound a bit too stroppy and moody but it's just what I and many others on this forum think and i just need to make the point clear :) No offense to you mate :) Keep Smiling
Last edited by jbuckton18 on Thu May 16, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbuckton18

Just an idea that popped into my head .. Imagine if that turf they are putting down was a yellow & Black colour !? how mint would that look !! Still look great now but i just thought it would fit well if it was yellow.

Anyway carry on....
RCandrew

jbuckton18 wrote: Just an idea that popped into my head .. Imagine if that turf they are putting down was a yellow & Black colour !? how mint would that look !! Still look great now but i just thought it would fit well if it was yellow.

Anyway carry on....
They actually planned on doing that but the yellow couldn't be made/arrive on time for opening!
DaveBear

No Problem.....

My point is mainly not that i am bigging up the Ride....

I am just going by mainly what Wardley said, he said there will be surprises, well  the things stuck on the Marmaliser and 14 Inversions are not even suprises.

But what mainly i found of interest is a interview with Wardley before the Smiler was started to be worked on.

He talked about the SW Elements and that after Nemesis each SW Ride carried a Worlds First, something never done before and that will be the trade mark of the SW and he said that Th13teen despite some disappointments from some, was technically and mechanically very complex.

He then said the reason for SW being so special is they are ground breaking and not record breaking, he stated that having the Worlds Tallest or Most Loops is nothing special as records are made to be broken and he does not design rides simply to break such records. 

He then said he is not a fan of gimmicks and themes that to not add to or increase the experience of the Ride.

Therefore if the Ride is as those Real POV show, then well and especially as his last ride, Wardley has contradicted himself.

Dont get me wrong, there is nothing to be disappointed by this ride on its own merits.

Take a look at Rita this came out after Nemesis and Oblivion and it never had the SW, because there was no Worlds First, a Launched start has been done before, but not in UK.  Rita was still a fun ride as people in the UK could experience the force of being shot along at high speed.

Thus maybe The Smiler never needed any Gimmick or Theme, it could had been simply not a SW at all and just another addition to the Park like Rita and Sub Tera that never carried a SW Name.

As the 14 inversions on such a tight track makes for a really intense experience, maybe with no themes or gimmicks they could have made the ride more intense by having no theme/gimmicks and by adding a Launched Lift like The Hulk Ride, and by adding on the Vertical a steep drop like Saw.

But there is something that will be special i am sure, maybe it wont actually be anything ride related, but some other interaction who knows.

And if not well while the Ride would maybe then not warrant a SW7, due to having nothing thats never been done before.  It will still be the most intense ride in the UK and one of the most insane in the World for some years to come.
liamsuxx

jbuckton18 wrote: Sorry but like other forum member have said in the past , you are building yourself up for major disappointment. You are going to sit down on that ride and think ''oo nice a secret element is coming up , what could it be ? '' when really chances are there isnt anything else to this ride that what we have already seen and/or know about e.g. the flasher etc. Unfortunately i have to say this but why on earth on you doing this ? Isn't the 14 inversions and the Marmi effects not good enough already ? Don't set yourself up for disappointment because then you will walk off that ride NOT SMILING and well the MoJ can't have that can they !? ;) In all seriousness though, stop bigging this ride up thinking SE's will come into play that NOBODY knows about ! It would be FANTASTIC if it did happen BUT it's probably not :/ so just relax and enjoy what's there already.

EDIT: Just read that back and thought it may sound a bit too stroppy and moody but it's just what I and many others on this forum think and i just need to make the point clear :) No offense to you mate :) Keep Smiling
It's because John Wardley said it himself - there's something you have to ride to experience that's never been done before. There's nothing wrong with speculating and hoping for something else, as amazing as the ride already is!
jbuckton18

RCandrew wrote:
jbuckton18 wrote: Just an idea that popped into my head .. Imagine if that turf they are putting down was a yellow & Black colour !? how mint would that look !! Still look great now but i just thought it would fit well if it was yellow.

Anyway carry on....
They actually planned on doing that but the yellow couldn't be made/arrive on time for opening!
seriously !? AWW MAN ! that would of been awsome ! oh well ! :)
Gax

Will the area underneath the ride be open to walk around in? Or is that just for the queue?
DaveBear

Thats correct....

While we know for sure that there is no Washing Machine Trick, and doubt there will be a Free Fall Drop etc.

There is still a chance that the Marmaliser does more than what it currently does, before the ride was listed as Worlds First 14 loop 4D Coaster, the 4D has since been dropped.....

Maybe there is something with the Trains maybe not....

The Indoor section i think will have special effects sounds and lights but the section is over fast like 20 seconds and so be waste to use Projection Mapping or anything to  build tension, but Strobes and more simple effects could be use but again NOT  WORLDS FIRST

So there could be surprises and Worlds Firsts, but again maybe these occur before or after the actual ride and so the actual Track Part of the Ride has nothing that special at all.

Only time will tell.

There could be surprises and elements added, these may be disappointing or nothing psychically to do with the actual ride, and they could be something we never thought about before and OUT OF THE BOX kind of thinking.
jbuckton18

liamsuxx wrote:
jbuckton18 wrote: Sorry but like other forum member have said in the past , you are building yourself up for major disappointment. You are going to sit down on that ride and think ''oo nice a secret element is coming up , what could it be ? '' when really chances are there isnt anything else to this ride that what we have already seen and/or know about e.g. the flasher etc. Unfortunately i have to say this but why on earth on you doing this ? Isn't the 14 inversions and the Marmi effects not good enough already ? Don't set yourself up for disappointment because then you will walk off that ride NOT SMILING and well the MoJ can't have that can they !? ;) In all seriousness though, stop bigging this ride up thinking SE's will come into play that NOBODY knows about ! It would be FANTASTIC if it did happen BUT it's probably not :/ so just relax and enjoy what's there already.

It's because John Wardley said it himself - there's something you have to ride to experience that's never been done before. There's nothing wrong with speculating and hoping for something else, as amazing as the ride already is!
Yeh and you have to ride to be 'officially marmilised' Thats the bit JW is on about here .. Nothing else. Name one other ride in the world that is designed to mess with your brain and senses like The Smiler ? I cant think of 1 ! Maybe this is the worlds first ? 1st ever ride to have your brain and senses manipulated ? To a normal person of the general public , they would have no idea what this ride is meant to do. It's only because us (very small number ) of roller coaster enthusiast have been following construction and speculation that we know what IS going to happen but to the majority of the general population , this would be a Secret Element to the ride that they would not be expecting to happen. Seriously there will be no major surprises that we don't already know about. I think the POV's that we have all seen is what we will get (excluding the special effects like the Flasher)
jbuckton18

Gax wrote: Will the area underneath the ride be open to walk around in? Or is that just for the queue?
That's just the queue. There was plans to have a 'plaza' to walk around under the track but i think due to the landscape of the land and other physical elements this plan was dropped and scrapped...
DaveBear

I understand what you mean, but if its the process of having visual elements that are mearly props that mess with your brain... Then well Sun Tera beats it hands down...

If its the whole experience of the 14 Inversions, then to a degree its like saying that some rides out there give you a mini Marmalising, so if you rode the Hulk Ride you kinda get mini Marmalised,  The Hulk is very intense, but then after half the ride the rest is pretty standard and no thrills, The Smiler is as intense as the Hulk if not more as their is little let up from the Inversions apart from the actual lift hill.

Just my opinion but if the Smiler has nothing special apart from the track and the gimmicks then they would maybe had been better of scrapping the screen and Marmaliser in the design and go for a Launched lift into a Zero G Roll like The Hulk and then the 2nd lift have the same drop as Takabisha.

These added to the 13 inversions on the outside track would make well a truly awesome and intense ride.

Take away the Theme and Marmaliser, then the Lift Hills are areas of the ride that could have been done better to add to the Thrill, but then those inversions will make up for that.

My point about the Theme is well really like Takabisha is like Saw minus pre show and theme,  but with steeper drop and more inversions = more intense ride, minus the build up that Saw gives.

But this is what the Smiler is trying to them and do, i think its the build up and tension before you get on the Train that may see the Worlds First elements.
Last edited by DaveBear on Thu May 16, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.