The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
The Moon

^Oh there is, Oblivions once dark, sinister paint is more second hand grey Mini Metro and the state of the station is vile. The once striking bright orange restraints now blotchy and green in areas. They need to rectify these issues before SW7 or run the risk of Oblivion looking even more tired and neglected next to their brand spanking new toy.

As for the rest of the park, Nemesis' river of blood is now more the river of Robinsons Summer Fruits and The Blade's ditch needs a mow.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
PeteB

Well they didn't spruce up Nemesis with the addition of Sub Terra so I doubt Oblivion will get a makeover with SW7. They did actually start replacing the restraints on some shuttles, as there was some new bright orange ones but I think its a gradual process.

Nemesis does get its "red" topped up regularly, it's probably due another top up, but with the amount of rain we're had recently it will be getting diluted faster than normal and therefore be harder to keep on top of.
PeteMadden

I don't necessarily think that the Oblivion station is that bad. They could do more productive things with the money it would take to revamp the Oblivion station, for example theme the Air Tunnel. In my opinion the state of the station isn't too bad yet, and there's nothing that can be done to keep up Oblivions numbers when SW7 drops.
The Moon

But it isn't 'that' bad. It needs to be good, a few scratches and imperfections here and there, yes, but it needs to be brought up to scratch. Theming Air's tunnel is fine, but I personally would rather see a good clean and revamp of park areas, including X-Sector.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
Jammydodger

We still don't know for sure that the whole area isn't being rethemed.

Sure I know a lot of people don't WANT this, but I'm sure a lot of people didn't want to see Ug Land go, either.

Also compared to Nemesis, Oblivion is in a far worse state. The paint is literally flaking off the stations building. and the tunnels right by the station are filthier than a public toilet...
Javs

So we are into July!  I would expect to see some footers arriving on site within the next few weeks and maybe even see a few go into the ground!
Boz

I would say the oblivion station IS very bad, the illusion that it is made out of concrete can be lost for anyone who looks at it for more than a moment.
As you all know I visited this weekend, and the concrete effect that makes up the external front and back walls of the station, is peeling really badly. There are patches of wood showing in various places, and bubbling in others. when i get home later I will put a couple of pics up.
but yes the rest of the area generally looks ok, the vegetation that has grown over most things, generally adds to the secretive feel IMO. but i still think Blivvy needs a repaint and touch up of decaying areas.
CoasterCrazyChris

Boz wrote:
but yes the rest of the area generally looks ok, the vegetation that has grown over most things, generally adds to the secretive feel IMO. but i still think Blivvy needs a repaint and touch up of decaying areas.
To be honest the whole thing looked better without any greenery at all, because the plant life "softens" the theme which is not good when it is meant to be industrial metal and concrete.
The Moon

Give me a Flymo and I'll do it.

Toke up...
The Terminator

I'm surprised at how slow things are progressing, it's as though there waiting for something!
I WILL be back
Boz

The Terminator wrote: I'm surprised at how slow things are progressing, it's as though there waiting for something!
i had noticed that too, the amount of groundwork that could have been done by now, excavations/station prep/footer prep, i agree, what are they waiting for?
djneice

Boz wrote:
The Terminator wrote: I'm surprised at how slow things are progressing, it's as though there waiting for something!
i had noticed that too, the amount of groundwork that could have been done by now, excavations/station prep/footer prep, i agree, what are they waiting for?
waiting so they can rush it at the end?  :?

on a serious note, i think we will start to see more in the next couple of weeks :D
Boz

Boz wrote: I would say the oblivion station IS very bad, the illusion that it is made out of concrete can be lost for anyone who looks at it for more than a moment.
As you all know I visited this weekend, and the concrete effect that makes up the external front and back walls of the station, is peeling really badly. There are patches of wood showing in various places, and bubbling in others. when i get home later I will put a couple of pics up.
as promised here are a couple of pics of the state of blivvys station (better late than never)

as i said the theming/paint is clearly peeling in a bad way, and that mark in the middle of the wall on the second pic, yeah thats wood, not the state i want to see my second favourite coaster in :(
Liam B

yeah from the looks of it a little spruce would go far! Dosent seem like much needs done except a good lashing of paint!
The Moon

No, it looks like it needs to be torn down and built to last, not like a plywood shed.

Toke up...
MattsDesigns

How do I feel about this? hmmm

I'm all for improved asthetics. Things looking nice is all part of the subliminal mood-raising. :)
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
PeteMadden

My god, I take my comment back, I didn't realise the queue was this shabby! Agree this needs to be completely rebuilt from scratch
roary01

As well as the station, it would be good if they could re-work the queue-line as it can get fairly annoying having to walk all the way around, and been able to skip the bottom tunnel when its not busy would help however i don't see how this could work. I do hope when SW7 arrives Oblivion wont get overshadowed and be kept looking shabby, because it won't work and the Cleanliness of SW7 will seriously show off the shabbiness of Oblivion even more than it looks at the moment.
PeteMadden

A complete demolishing of the current Oblivion station and queue line should most definitely be done alongside SW7 during the winter months when Alton are at their most productive.
loaster

Go in the single rider queue and duck under the bar, skipping the first loop around the queue when its not busy. Especially if you are going round for 5+ rides.