The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
clayj

When pull throughs go wrong...

Please take this post with a pinch of salt & a spoonfull of sarcasm !
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
dylan.tempelaars

some people call me insane, you are right!
Owen

So they are planning all track construction will be COMPLETE in 2 days

Really...
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Can't help but notice that it's tomorrow's date (30/03/2013)...
Lee

I may sound like an absolute eejit, but a quick question on the pull through. Why do they do it in such a laborious way using cranes and wooden blocks etc. (if I am understanding correctly). With today's technology, is there not a way to do this with lasers, sensors etc? Where I work, we can measure a metal to zero's of decimal millimetres using laser measuring technology.

Or, as I say, am I being thick  :oops:
Danny

Roodlesnouter has sent us this image via Twitter, showing the Marmaliser is on the move:

MatthewR1990

According to Roodles they appear to be moving the marmalier's head thingy. The bit with the screens. Where too is unclear at the moment as I don't think the support is in for it be put in position. Is it?

Edit: DAMN BEATEN TO IT!
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

LeeJames wrote: I may sound like an absolute eejit, but a quick question on the pull through. Why do they do it in such a laborious way using cranes and wooden blocks etc. (if I am understanding correctly). With today's technology, is there not a way to do this with lasers, sensors etc? Where I work, we can measure a metal to zero's of decimal millimetres using laser measuring technology.

The problem is people have legs and arms which could potentially go all over the place at any point during the ride ;) so if they know the maximum amount of clearance they need then they can just drag the train with the wood around the track. Also there could be a very brief point where a collision could happen, and it may be hard for a laser to pick this up.

EDIT: Also in Towers2Go's pictures some parts of the legs of The Marmaliser are on site, so this does suggest they're getting ready to start piecing it together.
JonoD

LeeJames wrote: I may sound like an absolute eejit, but a quick question on the pull through. Why do they do it in such a laborious way using cranes and wooden blocks etc. (if I am understanding correctly). With today's technology, is there not a way to do this with lasers, sensors etc? Where I work, we can measure a metal to zero's of decimal millimetres using laser measuring technology.

This is one of those things where you 'don't know until you try'. You can simulate pretty much anything with a computer and run lasers to get minute measurements like you say, but until an actual train itself navigates the whole circuit properly and it still runs into issues, it's for nothing.

The large piece of wood they attach to the train when they do so is also the ride car's safety envelope, and again it's a case that you can simulate stuff as much as you like, but until you get real world results there's no point.

Pull throughs are a long and laborious process, but it's ultimately the best option when it comes to testing.
Instant Mix

Just to say, towers 2 go's photos show that some parts of the Marmaliser's legs are on the site.

edit:

Ninja'd. Eugh.
Sam198

In this day and age they can be fairly certain that the pull through will go without a hitch, but its still better to back that up with physical evidence in order to eliminate the minute chance of a miscalculation. Its an extra safety precaution, basically. :)

A relatively recent (2000) example of an occasion where a pull through has proved useful is with Millennium Force, where a section of support was cut out of the first overbank due to proximity with riders' hands.
Owen

The marmaliser is being constructed today image on thealtontowersguide Facebook page
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Thrillmad wrote: The marmaliser is being constructed today image on thealtontowersguide Facebook page
Here's the image:

N3m3s1s

Hate to be so critical, but it looks a tad...short.
JonoD

Somewhat amazingly, the marmaliser isn't as large as I was expecting it to be given how large it looked on the ground. Maybe that's due to the scale of the roller coaster?
Evostance

Why is there a big support directly under it?  I didn't think there was going to be one judging from the plans and concept imagery?
WhatARoaster

I doubt they will finish the whole thing today. maybe just a couple of the legs.
sasloopy

MI7 when you next up in the air? Would love to see construction from the air now, they have done loads in the last 3 weeks  :lol: :lol: :lol: looking like the best coaster in the world
Boz

Evostance wrote: Why is there a big support directly under it?  I didn't think there was going to be one judging from the plans and concept imagery?
Look again buddy ;) it's on both.
NutterFrutter

I think that image makes it look smaller than it is, a zoomed out image would give real perspective.