The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Dormiens-Dave

Welcome to the SW7 Construction Discussion Topic

This is your main port-of-call for any discussion related to construction progression. So if on your day out to Alton Towers you take some fascinating pictures of SW7 construction then post those pictures here and see the discussion around the progression of the UK's premier themeparks new rollercoaster.

For discussion about SW7 itself head over to our Ride Speculation and Discussion topic. Also don't forget our Area Speculation and Discussion to discuss any ideas or observations about how SW7 will affect X-Sector. And once the Alton Towers Marketing machine gets into full swing we also have our Marketing and Viral Campaigns Discussion

If you want to check out the plans or see TT's own updates as they come along check out the TowersTimes SW7 Mini Site where we aim to have the number 1 source for everything SW7 related, with regularly updated news and features coming online as they are available.

Finally, we also ask you take a quick look at our Community Guidelines in addition to our Forum Post Quality Guide before getting stuck in - and most importantly, have fun! :)
______________________________________________________________________________________

Guide on Adding Pictures

1) Host your pictures online using any of the many picture hosting services (such as photobucket)

2) Copy the image url (usually displayed under the image on photo hosting services).

3) In the Create new post page click the little Mona-Lisa icon.

The following code should appear... Image

4) Paste the image url between the two generated codes like so... Image

5) Repeat the above steps for every image you wish to post.

Finally preview your post to check that the image is visible, any issues PM a member of the team.
Last edited by Dormiens-Dave on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris W

On the 11th of February 2012 (First day of the Feb Half Term event) there has been no changes on the SW7 site (as expected)

Craig

Just as fences have gone up around the site, we've now received word that the tent has started to be removed. So, without further ado *plays fanfare* this topic is now unlocked.

Please remember this is for construction updates only. To discuss the ride and it's marketing please use the mother topics :).
SpinballEdders

Sounds very interesting, I actually thought Alton would of removed it slightly later, But they should of removed it 5 years ago! It's nice that's it's being removed though, Can't wait for the construction to start! :D
Dormiens-Dave

From TT News
The Black Hole tent that until 2005 housed the popular Black Hole indoor rollercoaster, is finally making its exit from the resort after standing empty for the last 7 years. Despite having a brief ressurection as the location of the 2 paid-for scare mazes in the 2011 Scarefest event, the Black Hole tent has been mainly used for storage since the coaster left.

Planning permission for the 2012 SW7 rollercoaster was granted last month and since then the old tents days have been numbered, word finally came today from TT member "Rob" that the first stages of demolishion had begun.

This first stage in the construction process of SW7 coincides with the construction fence banners going up around the site as well as a new mini-site proclaiming the arrival of SW7 in 2013.

As always TowersTimes will be following SW7 developments and you can discus this and more in our SW7 discussion topics here
mrbrightside

Looks like I'd better update the SW7 Sweepstakes thread...
ImageImage
.Will

Well it's now hit home it's all starting again.

It's almost iconic at Alton Towers the tent has stood there for years almost a shame to see it go, I mean it was such epic storage.
mrbrightside

.Will wrote:I mean it was such epic storage.
Nowadays we'd just get built the world's biggest shipping container...
ImageImage
smudge.

Where will all the stuff in the tent go?

If there is alternative storage, why were they not using that originally as the tent is hardly good for storage, I don't know but I imagine it was damp when cold? and, well, cold!
-Prometheus-

Farewell Black Hole tent.  The end of an era, but the dawn of a new one aswell.  :)

*sentimental mood*
BigAl

Part of me wonders if they could have cut the dome in half and reused one side as a concert/arena cover? :P

Anyway, goodbye, Black Hole tent!
Wizzy

I'd be entirely willing to take whatever's in the tent! :P
But on a slightly analytical note... I think the park leaving the tent there for so long inadvertently created a source of intrigue for X-Sector, even as the area itself fell into disrepair, so the place'll feel really odd and bare this season without the old thing. When going to the park with non-enthusiasts, the topic of the 'big random tent' in the area was always a means for discussion, but I suppose it's actually really nice to think the conversation will shift to construction and eventually the emergence of a huge - and hopefully rather good - new ride this year.
Excitement and nostalgia are the two words that spring to mind, but it feels great to look to the future after all these years of the X-Sector falling into scabiness. I have a feeling SW7 will do good.

- Wizzy :D
Blaze

The stuff was cleared out of the tent a while ago, wasn't it? I always thought it was, especially with the original plan being to use the site for 2012.

Well, so it begins...here's to 11 months of getting excited by mounds of dirt!
starbugger1303

I've just had a thought.

The Blackhole tent first opened in 1984 and is being demolished in 2012. 28 years later......
And
Corkscrew opened in 1980 and closed in 2008. 28 years later....

Coincidence?......
:para:
CrazyTowers

I wonder what types of splendiferous machinery we'll see throughout the year during SW7s construction.  :?

(I'm into technical things and how its built sort of things.) :O

I also wonder what we'll see being moved around, like all the things stored in it... 
It's been a while.
Rob L

Here are some more photos I took today from my camera. They appear to be taking out all of what must be insulation before taking the actual tend down. Nice to see work starting though!

I kindly request that these photos are not used without my permission.

:)

BigAl

Rob wrote: Image

What the hell happened in there? :? :P

Thanks for those pictures, Rob! I didn't know that the inside of the tent was still the original yellow and green. I guess it didn't matter, seeing as it would be pitch black in there anyway. But I still feel cheated! :P
Last edited by BigAl on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordOfDarkness

THE ORIGINAL BLACK HOLE COLOURS... :'( Right its sorted, Someone has to make a montage of the memories of that tent...
[align=center]Image

SamRyan ~ @SamRyanSport [/align]
Rocket

Nice to see those colours! They must of just put insulation over the old colours.
They need to keep the awesome entrance and queue line shop though, very well themed and suited X-Sector.
CoasterCrazyChris

SamJ wrote: They need to keep the awesome entrance and queue line shop though, very well themed and suited X-Sector.
Couldn't agree more. Would be nice to see the entrance used as a window into the construction site too.

Alas, the plans show they will both be demolished. :(