The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
hursty

Oblivion is currently broke so X sector is quite quiet.

There's is certainly issues they're resolving with the vertical lift.

The X sector toilets are also out of order because the smiler construction has hit the water main.
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

Today is a bit of a train wreck for the Towers  :? I Feel sorry the customer service desk! ;)
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
Static Veins

Think it's pretty safe to say the v-lift is the problem then?

Here's hoping it's something they can get fixed over the next day or two!
halso86

So rather than teething issues, it's more, we haven't finished the ride yet!

Shouldn't everything be done before any press can get to the ride?

Which ever way you look at it, they have messed this up again, with thirteen's marketing, N:ST opening farce and now this epic fail, towers had the opportunity to start bring that magic back and they have failed!!
RobStandley

It's no doubt another crippling blow to their reputation and one that's left a really sour taste on what looks to be a great ride! Once again, instead of talking about the ride, we're talking about the short comings of alton towers.
stu1980

I was at the park last Saturday and there was a train in the station and brake run - we stood for over a hour and there was no trains going round just a lot of welding going on. It is a bit of a issue really and im looking at it from a outsider point of view here but if you have never been to the park would you come back probs not. This will in the long run cost the park money and alot of it. This is also why the season has been quite so far as people are hanging off to go for the new ride. But im with everyone else really rather it be 110% safe than things go wrong :) im there over the weekend again i,ll see what if anything i can find out
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!
aress

halso86 wrote: So rather than teething issues, it's more, we haven't finished the ride yet!

Shouldn't everything be done before any press can get to the ride?

Which ever way you look at it, they have messed this up again, with thirteen's marketing, N:ST opening farce and now this epic fail, towers had the opportunity to start bring that magic back and they have failed!!
What was this "opening farce" with Nemesis Sub Terra?
halso86

The fact that the thing was a farce that they had to close it to finish it off...
Markwood71

2 workers measuring the distance from the chain to the limit sensors on the V lift hill. Pics at twitter - @markwood71
tallicay2k

Well...well...well health and safety taking its time. What amazes me is that half of the staff doesn't know what's going, they've all heard different things. Nice of them to tell us a DAY before the alleged opening. Who Evers on customer services today I take my hat off to you cos u have a hell of a day ahead with people looking forward to the opening and buying tickets, they arnt gonna be please.
Besides how can they say come along as it MAY still open and if it does it's a bonus....What a cheek if u ask me, they should know 100% wether it's gonna be open or closed.
I feel sorry for the guys who specifically bought tickets for Smiler only to be let down.
But hey still go tho guys....cos you never know >.<

They have took the biscuit this time.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Static Veins

Markwood71 wrote: 2 workers measuring the distance from the chain to the limit sensors on the V lift hill. Pics at twitter - @markwood71
Issue with getting the train to connect to the chain on the v-lift? Hopefully that's just a matter of moving the sensor a bit further forward :P
mixer114

Oblividoom wrote: It's still open in my mind....http://ridesims.com/simulations/the-smiler/
lol just been on that one H & S not shut that down yet great sim even has evac
Markwood71

Maybe - however I'd say using a standard B&Q tape measure isn't the best way to set Pepper&Fuches limit switches ...
mixer114

Markwood71 wrote: Maybe - however is say using a standard B&Q tape measure isn't the best way to set Pepper&Fuches limit switches ...
think they got the washers on the support from B & Q as well ha ha
Phild94

I know this is an odd suggestion.... but if they have managed to put a spade or whatever through the water line could it be that they have shorted out the power.... or possibly that in opening the water line they may have cut XS's power for a while.... could explain oblivion not working either today .... Just an idea

Unless i got the wrong end of the stick XD

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
Static Veins

Oh dear...

"Some hopeful customers. They may have a long wait..."

From TowersTimes Live
mixer114

Looks like they having major probs as oblivion is down and the sky ride as well.  :roll: and there are people queing at the smiler even though it not open
mixer114

Phild94 wrote: I know this is an odd suggestion.... but if they have managed to put a spade or whatever through the water line could it be that they have shorted out the power.... or possibly that in opening the water line they may have cut XS's power for a while.... could explain oblivion not working either today .... Just an idea

Unless i got the wrong end of the stick XD
good point there has been a lot of redigging going on could explain why toilets closed as well.
Markwood71

Toilets have been open ( phew- that's better ) but the nightmare day continues - Sonic "closed" and only been taking 3 riders due to the sunshine - sorry rain shower we had ....
Also @altontowers haven't tweeted today - suprise suprise ...
Wildboy

Maybe we should send AT a can of beans and a tin opener and see how they get on with that.
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983