The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

The real people we should blame our the great British H&S, wonder if they have had complaints before?! :roll: Their taking a whole day to evaluate doors!! "Ohh yes this door in fine but in case the moon falls down and lands on a tree then that tree kill a ant with then causes someone to slip, then they slip into a another tree which they crushes a plant which then causes and earth quake which then finally a book from the national library gets shot over to Alton Towers can block this door from opening! Please rebuild you entire theme park!" The gist of H&S ;)

First we can't climb trees and now there taking away our chance to ride the smiler sooner! I feel another riot coming on ;)

But as I said at least it gives them times to finish of the final details ;) can't wait to see the updates tomorrow to see what they do with there time! :D
( sorry for the off topic paragraph above but if you want to delete it, please do :D )
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
Andzdrew

Static Veins wrote:
Boz wrote: More news from Team on park this evening!

A second ultra-reliable source has confirmed The Smiler not opening due to H&S not being signed off yet. This source has confirmed that the ride will not open tomorrow.

There is a small chance it may open Friday, but that is very speculative.
This is good news. If not Friday, I can see it opening Saturday. They will NOT want to miss Bank Holiday weekend.

Just curious, what are they exactly waiting for to be rectified? Another safety test after it failed the last, perhaps? This might explain why we saw a new fire escape seemingly randomly added to the building over the last week or so!
I'd like to bet they didn't want to miss tomorrow either... The fact that they were still saying it would certainly open tomorrow at 10am this morning, then suddenly at 11 they decide there's no way in hell it will open, for at least 2 days, says to me that something suddenly went wrong at 10.30 that was completely unexpected... I don't buy the h&s story one bit, that wouldn't be something left to the day before and it wouldn't be something that would suddenly go wrong.

You don't drive a rust bucket around and then suddenly get shocked when it fails it's MOT, you would have a rough idea before that it won't pass.

In other words you don't act confident it will pass until the day before the test if it was evident it wouldnt pass last week.

So I'm going with something quite major and unexpected happened. Maybe a fin fell off lol
Last edited by Andzdrew on Wed May 22, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AniaPotter

Going on Friday with my school... And there I was, so excited with the fact I'd get to ride it and now that's a really slim chance  :(
mattallennet

Hmm H&S.

If the building is finished, it should be safe if build to spec.

If there's a defect with the ride, a gap that's x mm too wide between station and cars, or a wobbly support, yes there will be a problem.

But if its a problem with 'signing off' then I'd bet its staff training / procedural / paperwork issues, which would be a poor show indeed.

Anyways, I hope the construction staff are busy getting finer details and theming finished!
Kieran141

This is my opinion please do not pick it apart but i thik they are using the health and saftey think as a excuse because the ride still is not complete. There is still a lot of themeing and landscapeing to be done correct me if i am wrong the rest of the que line fences neeed putting up . Then the inside dark ride section look like it is still not complete from the recent videos. They also need to tidy up the site and give it a clean down. This is my opinion of the delayed openeing date
clayj

[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
Thirteen

Kieran141 wrote: This is my opinion please do not pick it apart but i thik they are using the health and saftey think as a excuse because the ride still is not complete. There is still a lot of themeing and landscapeing to be done correct me if i am wrong the rest of the que line fences neeed putting up . Then the inside dark ride section look like it is still not complete from the recent videos. They also need to tidy up the site and give it a clean down. This is my opinion of the delayed openeing date
I would have thought they'd have given it another month. I know this rides been extremely delayed now but the they've just finished the ride. I would have given it time to settle and the surrounding area to be 100%. That said its purely cosmetic.

I think delaying it much more will just be a waist, Its not like we're going to see any more improvements adding now (even cosmetics).
halso86

How many schools do you think are planned to go on Friday?
Owen

It seems no one remembers the ground being torn up yesterday...
MatthewR1990

halso86 wrote: How many schools do you think are planned to go on Friday?
How long is this piece of string I'm holding?
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
halso86

MatthewR1990 wrote:
How long is this piece of string I'm holding?
Haha, sorry stupid question! Is this time of year likely to be more busy with schools or is it exams time?
Thirteen

It really depends how close to a holiday it is and what time of the year it is.

Every time I've been there's always about the same amount of coaches on the weekend, during a holiday or in-school hours, That said you're going to get on rides faster during school terms though its never really a measurable amount.
Danny

Thrillmad wrote: It seems no one remembers the ground being torn up yesterday...
I don't think this would be the problem as its no related to the ride itself which is what they are saying however feel free to prove me wrong :)
Kirsty25

Thirteen wrote:
It really depends how close to a holiday it is and what time of the year it is.

Every time I've been there's always about the same amount of coaches on the weekend, during a holiday or in-school hours, That said you're going to get on rides faster during school terms though its never really a measurable amount.
Last day of term so I imagine it will be pretty busy.
Markwood71

clayj wrote: Image
I LOVE AT- however I think that 50+ amazing rides and attractions is pushing it ever so slightly ... Amazing !??!! Now I love Squirrel Nutkins as much as the next Rollercoster Fanboy , but 50??!

;)
Andzdrew

SpecyBeast wrote:

Sums up the last few pages on this forum ;)
This absolutely has made my day!
youarecorrectsir

I heard that the 'Health and Safety' guys were so marmalised that they could not complete their job... Rumour has it they're recovering in the Sanctuary...

:moj
[align=center]"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"[/align]
Andzdrew

I heard it accidentally did a backward freefall
SwEDEN

Andzdrew wrote: I heard it accidentally did a backward freefall
I heard a car de-railed and crashed into oblivion falling down it's hole. What could be seen coming out the other side could only be described as a marmalised lord of darkness......
Kirsty25

Right guys - we don't mind complaints but keep speculation to speculation please ;)