The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
N3m3s1s

This makes the euthanasia coaster look gentle!
Instant Mix

I'd have to concur with boz, anything that puts your feet above your head. Realistically , that'd be anything above + / - 90 degrees. Personally though, that's too vague, and I'd say around at least + / - 100 / 110 degrees for it to be counted as an inversion.
rhino18

^Well, really, it has to feel like an inversion to be considered one. Inversion territory is really aroung 160-200 degress. Anything under 160, is often considered to be a drop of some sort. Of course, there are exceptions (Outlaw Run - 153, Swarm/Chang/Mantis - 145-150).
Evostance

AT just posted another picture on Twitter, doesn't show much of construction though...

Looking to the left of the van in the corner, is that a new entrance to Oblivion or just a locker area of sorts?
N3m3s1s

Evostance wrote: AT just posted another picture on Twitter, doesn't show much of construction though...

Looking to the left of the van in the corner, is that a new entrance to Oblivion or just a locker area of sorts?
Out damn Fanta advertisement, OUT!
Danny

You can see the station building's walls and floor being placed now
Phild94

Evostance wrote: AT just posted another picture on Twitter, doesn't show much of construction though...

Just above (slightly to the left) of the oblivions track you can see someone holding a massive piece of paper, I reckon he's say there like....
"Ok unt we have to connect piece A2 to B73 ja, but where is piece ZZ354 unt XY2167, we need less track LESS TRACK"

It must be absolutely insane trying to keep an idea of what piece connects to which and in what order..... Think a 1000 piece jigsaw where every piece was black :shock: haha

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
Hitch

N3m3s1s wrote:

Looks like they were just installing some wifi.
May i just add what a brilliant place that is to put a wifi point.
EDIT: Actually that was there all along I have just looked at older photos, forget i said anything.
Last edited by Hitch on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonflips23

N3m3s1s wrote:

Dargh!!! I thought they were gonna get rid of it!  Really hate it! I hope it's gone soon!
THE SWARM 14

After the construction has finished, I would expect that ride testing would start not soon after to be ready for opening in May.
dylan.tempelaars

construction is going quick! ;)
some people call me insane, you are right!
Joshysqaushy

M17 needs to get up in the air this weekend :)
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER:
UPDATES: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 8&start=40
dylan.tempelaars

yup i would love to see wots gone on lately, probs not much, but still excited! :D this ride is certainly gonna live up to my expectations and past!
some people call me insane, you are right!
MatthewR1990

Stuff it I'm tweeting towers about the Fanta logo. It's horrid
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Wildboy

if you can only see it from the top of oblivion for 3 seconds then whats the problem?
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983
JordyNemesis

clayj wrote:
GigaSurimi wrote:
clayj wrote: Everyone seems taken by the intertwined staffordshire knott and cobra in the pit, and as aesthetically pleasing and intutive as it was to combine the two elements (4 inversions)
I see only 2 inversions in the staffordshrie knott...?
The 2 other interlaced thingy don't really invert, they're more like vertical banking curves to me, or am I wrong?
Tricky to comment on. Everyone is counting them as inversion although under closer inspection, one side doesn't apear to invert and the other is questionable :s
Still upside down though, even if its for a second
MatthewR1990

JordyNemesis wrote:
clayj wrote:
GigaSurimi wrote: I see only 2 inversions in the staffordshrie knott...?
The 2 other interlaced thingy don't really invert, they're more like vertical banking curves to me, or am I wrong?
Tricky to comment on. Everyone is counting them as inversion although under closer inspection, one side doesn't apear to invert and the other is questionable :s
Still upside down though, even if its for a second
The definition of invert is to turn upside down. The Staffordshire knot puts you on your head 4 times, hence 4 inversions.
Wildboy wrote: if you can only see it from the top of oblivion for 3 seconds then whats the problem?
The problem is it's horrid.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
sully1311

Wildboy wrote: if you can only see it from the top of oblivion for 3 seconds then whats the problem?
Enthusiasts being enthusiasts.
TomL

sully1311 wrote:
Enthusiasts being enthusiasts.
Alton Towers sorta have to do it... otherwise they would get no money from fanta to build the smiler...
CoasterCrazyChris

Who cares what's on the roof...as long as they sort out what you can see at ground level.