The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
MatthewR1990

It is definitely a feeding pipe for some sort of substance. My bet would be air rather than liquid to be honest. Looks like it will probably be fed directly from the same compressor that feeds the air for the Marmalisers effects.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
nemesisrocks!

This is just a strange idea, does anyone else think they may use a weak form of laughing gas for the entrance and on ride? So you're smiling as soon as you enter?:)
Reckless And Relentless - Asking Alexandria
Creative05

nemesisrocks! wrote: This is just a strange idea, does anyone else think they may use a weak form of laughing gas for the entrance and on ride? So you're smiling as soon as you enter?:)
Doubt it buddy, don't think you can give drugs, legal or illegal haha, without some sort of consent. And also laughing is gass is sooooooo expensive!
kingda dude

nemesisrocks! wrote: This is just a strange idea, does anyone else think they may use a weak form of laughing gas for the entrance and on ride? So you're smiling as soon as you enter?:)
you do realize that real laughing gas is essentially a anesthetic, it makes you limp, numb and a bit giggly. It doesn't quite have to incredible ability to reduce all people to hysterics.
If it was the case that they used 'watered down' laughing gas then all that would happen is that people walking through the gate would feel a bit feint, which to be honest isn't exactly what Alton Towers is looking for.
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"
nemesisrocks!

Ohhh, well, 13 days and I'll find out:'3
MatthewR1990

nemesisrocks! wrote: Ohhh, well, 13 days and I'll find out:'3
You don't have to wait 13 days to find out. It won't happen. Not even a remote chance. Firstly it is beyond idiocy to think that a medicinal drug would be pumped into the vacinity of the public. Especially for the use of an amusement ride. I hate to be bland about it. And I'm not insulting you directly but, really think about what you are saying here. And dont worry you are not the first to ask the question. Anyway secondly it is a very expensive gas, it wouldnt be able to come from a mains source. it would have to be delivered in gas canisters. which have to be made, filled and delivered. Thirdly, there's a reason 'laughing gas' (nitrous oxide) is applied using a mask or a breathing apparatus. It's because it has to be inhaled in the proper quantities directly to the lungs to have effect. No one in the world, would pump this into open air because it wouldn't have any effect anyway. It would instantaneously dilute with the air around it and disperse. Which would again be even more of a waste of money. As they would pay ridiculous amounts of money to have Nos stored, delivered and pumped into thin air with not even one sensory benefit. By sensory I literally mean that there will be no sense that your body can detect that would know its there.

Taste - it is a tasteless substance
Smell - it is odourless
Touch - well unless it was pumped out using compressors you wouldn't feel it.
Sound - again it can't be heard
Sight - it is invisible also.

So believe me. It will not happen. On a scale of 1-100 of it happening it would be minus 3,000,000. This idea is all sort of AT's fault though. Marketing "Smiler gas" to the general public without clarifying that it isn't real and is merely a marketing/theming element for a rollercoaster.
nemesisrocks!

I know now, I didn't mean finding out about laughing gas being there I meant in general I will find out everything in 13 days. Just did a recount too, it's 11 days, yay! I really need to start looking into this stuff before making assumptions!
PSxyz

In regard too the entrance, I guess it's some sort of lighting with ether compressed air or mist.
Aidan Lowe

Maybe it'll trigger via sensors with bursts of air/vapor, sort of like a decontamination unit.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
bealyboy

In regard to the hypnotiser if ur travelling a long really fast, I don't think you'll really be hypnotised by the discs? (Se the effect)
SMILE.ALWAYS
TheInactiveMoth

bealyboy wrote: In regard to the hypnotiser if ur travelling a long really fast, I don't think you'll really be hypnotised by the discs? (Se the effect)
You're right - hypnosis is a rather complex procedure, and at any rate impossible at such speed and adrenaline level. :P
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade

Noah the carnivorous botanist - Arsenal 'til I die!
Owen

I think people are taking the names of the legs a little to seriously on here tbh :/
Chris
Admin
Admin

And I also think common sense needs to come in to play here too..
TheOutpatient

MatthewR1990 wrote:
nemesisrocks! wrote: Ohhh, well, 13 days and I'll find out:'3
You don't have to wait 13 days to find out. It won't happen.
Maybe they can do this in Japan or something.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
DaveBear

They will use Gas on the Ride but it wont be gas, just be smoke and maybe colored Yellow Smoke, maybe they could also add a smell to it so that it gives some other kind of experience with the Rider, rather than plain Smoke effect.

But they would not use Laughing Gas, lol I mean if they did then maybe they can also inject you with adrenalin and maybe give u LSD for the Hypnotiser lol.

I think what will happen is the que lines will be the Recruitment Process and you will interact with Smiler Advocates.

Once the que gets to the Indoor section this is where they will do more stuff to interact with you, including Date Capture, i recon the que will have various stages.

And i think they could be aiming to do something unique between some part of the indoor que and the start of the ride,  but i think this will only be in the que area at least a similar kind of interactive experience as the Sub Terra interaction with crew members. 
BulletMag

With the theme of this ride being psychological my thoughts is that the "GAS" that keeps being mentioned is either plain old smoke or the same vapour they use on Oblivion, however the effects will be subjective to each individual, ie if that person convinces themselves that it is indeed "laughing gas" a placebo effect may occur and we have a queue of giggling people convinced they are under the effect of such gas.

Thats what i think anyway ;)
jbuckton18

BulletMag wrote: With the theme of this ride being psychological my thoughts is that the "GAS" that keeps being mentioned is either plain old smoke or the same vapour they use on Oblivion, however the effects will be subjective to each individual, ie if that person convinces themselves that it is indeed "laughing gas" a placebo effect may occur and we have a queue of giggling people convinced they are under the effect of such gas.

Thats what i think anyway ;)
Absolutely agree ! A gas will be used somewhere on the site of the ride. A harmless gas that doesn't smell at all. They may color the gas a yellow color to fit with the color theme and they can just say it's laughing gas. This may or may not trigger the placebo effect in someone in the queue to think that they are actually inhaling laughing gas. The placebo effect has been tried and tested by Derron Brown ( look the video up on YouTube ) So it will work on some people but wont work on everybody however for the people it wont work on then it's still a nice theming element for the ride to give it a little bit more of an experience rather than just a roller coaster.
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
andy86

I think it seems to be coming along well, my only gripe is queue line snack huts. They hold up the queue halfway through if somebody is buying and if there isn't enough bins the queue line will become filthy, as some people will have zero respect and just throw it on the floor! Alton Towers please leave snack huts outside queue lines...
Phild94

andy86 wrote: I think it seems to be coming along well, my only gripe is queue line snack huts. They hold up the queue halfway through if somebody is buying and if there isn't enough bins the queue line will become filthy, as some people will have zero respect and just throw it on the floor! Alton Towers please leave snack huts outside queue lines...
Although I agree that snack huts do hold up the queue... I have to say 1hr 30 into a 3 hr wait it will be seen as an absolute oasis :)....

The 1 thing I truly hate is when the queue overtakes you whilst you order something.... You're pushed 15/20 mins behind and they make up 2/3 places in the queue :/ anyway that is a rant for another time and another topic :)

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
MatthewR1990

Phild94 wrote:
andy86 wrote: I think it seems to be coming along well, my only gripe is queue line snack huts. They hold up the queue halfway through if somebody is buying and if there isn't enough bins the queue line will become filthy, as some people will have zero respect and just throw it on the floor! Alton Towers please leave snack huts outside queue lines...
Although I agree that snack huts do hold up the queue... I have to say 1hr 30 into a 3 hr wait it will be seen as an absolute oasis :)....

The 1 thing I truly hate is when the queue overtakes you whilst you order something.... You're pushed 15/20 mins behind and they make up 2/3 places in the queue :/ anyway that is a rant for another time and another topic :)
No you are absolutely right. You should definitively hold the 400 paying cutsomers behind you up whilst you get yourself a bag of malteasers, how dare they not wait for you.
Last edited by MatthewR1990 on Mon May 13, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.