The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
James6

^ Any idea how are reports in terms of how smooth it is?

Doesn't matter how intense it is if it tries to kill you. (AKA Saw)
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
Nightfall

Apparently smooth but I didn't mention that because:
A) Different people have vastly different opinions on what is smooth and what isn’t.
B) I've heard of smooth Euro-fighters opening in the same years as one's that are considered rough so it seems to be less about how smooth the track is and other factors that affect the ride.

For example I consider SAW to be fairly smooth but there seems to be a tracking issue at the bottom of the main drop as well as shuffling in the wheel bogeys which is why the ride feels rough. Now if you take Fluch von Novgorod which opened at the same time I’ve never heard that described as rough and I think it’s because it doesn’t have the issues I mentioned above.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Krazycoaster

Nightfall wrote: I don't know if it has been mentioned but Iron Shark has opened. I haven't found many reports for it yet but those that I have seen said the lap bars are a huge improvement and apparently it's quite an intense ride (maybe too much so).
Iron Shark looks amazing. I've found a POV:
If SW7 is anything like this, and i'm 100% sure it will be, we're all going to be in for one hell of a ride!!
The Terminator

I've just seen the new advert for Halo, I really hope not!
I WILL be back
loaster

I doubt it, I don't think that Halo players are necessarily Alton's Market. I also don't think enough people know about that game to market it. Saw was a well known film franchise even those who haven't seen it have heard of it, or have a basic idea what it's about. Not so true for a game like halo. Maybe I'm bias as I not a gamer. 

Also on a personal level, I hope its not Game-themed.
dominoes

^What, like Sonic Spinball?
CoasterNewb

Hey guys I'm new here and I have an idea for what the "worlds first" could be. I don't know if this is exactly possible but, could it be that there is a hydraulic launch midway through the ride at the flat section. I can't think of a ride with this...
Boz

CoasterNewb wrote: Hey guys I'm new here and I have an idea for what the "worlds first" could be. I don't know if this is exactly possible but, could it be that there is a hydraulic launch midway through the ride at the flat section. I can't think of a ride with this...
Welcome to TTF :)

Firstly the hydraulic launch has been done by Intamin many, many times, Rita being one of them, so it wouldn't even be a first for AT.
Secondly the incline at the end of the straight/base of vertical section, is far too sharp to allow the G-forces that would result from a launch, strong enough to get to the top of the vertical section.
Thirdly, I'm pretty sure a mid-ride launch (if this is what you meant by a worlds first), has been done before, although I can't think what it is at this time. Also it wouldn't really be very marketable, which, I believe, is going to be the key point with this worlds first.  8)
MatthewR1990

dominoes wrote: ^What, like Sonic Spinball?
Sonics franchise spans much bigger than games. Although that is how it started, it is now much bigger.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
BananaRoll

Thirdly, I'm pretty sure a mid-ride launch (if this is what you meant by a worlds first), has been done before, although I can't think what it is at this time. Also it wouldn't really be very marketable, which, I believe, is going to be the key point with this worlds first.  8)
[/quote]

Cheetah Hunt - Busch Gardens Tampa
Takabisha - Fuji Q Highland (ok, so it's more 1/3rd of the way round the track, than 1/2)
Revenge of the Mummy - Universal Studios

Pretty sure Verboltens launch is midway too..but the POV is too dark!

All I keep thinking is that the worlds first has to be something which can be summed up in a simple sentence for marketing towards the general public.  "Trick track that rotates like a skewer to invert riders inside the building" won't make much sense to non-enthusiasts. "Vertical launch" will, but it looks unfeasible from the plans, and wouldn't be a worlds first anyway.
Last edited by BananaRoll on Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boz

BananaRoll wrote:
Boz wrote: Thirdly, I'm pretty sure a mid-ride launch (if this is what you meant by a worlds first), has been done before, although I can't think what it is at this time. Also it wouldn't really be very marketable, which, I believe, is going to be the key point with this worlds first.  8)
Cheetah Hunt - Busch Gardens Tampa
Takabisha - Fuji Q Highland (ok, so it's more 1/3rd of the way round the track, than 1/2)
Revenge of the Mummy - Universal Studios

Pretty sure Verboltens launch is midway too..but the POV is too dark!

All I keep thinking is that the worlds first has to be something which can be summed up in a simple sentence for marketing towards the general public.  "Trick track that rotates like a skewer to invert riders inside the building" won't make much sense to non-enthusiasts. "Vertical launch" will, but it looks unfeasible from the plans, and wouldn't be a worlds first anyway.
Thanks for that, i knew there were a few examples :)
I agree with you though, I think we will see some form of trick track.

However another idea i was thinking of, was if the screens around the spider are 3d (possibly glasses free tech), and used to create some form of immersive/interactive ride experience. Even if you had to use glasses, you could use a similar system/style to Formula Rosso's goggles. I don't know of any roller coasters that interact with 3d displays, although I'm not sure if it would be effective when travelling at high speed.
Rollercoasters4Life

/\ Just no, please hell no! That would be the worst thing ever and would get nobody even caring about it. Lets be honest who would really look at a screen while your whizzing around the track? It would be a waste and totally pointless. Here's hoping it will be something to do with the track and not tacked on effects that make it a World's First.
CoasterNewb

@boz ahh okay. I did mean a midway launch as the worlds first., I'm new to all this so I didn't notice the sharpness of the vertical part. And the 3d idea sounds awful to me, 3d in a cinema is bad enough at doing nothing. I would truly be disappointed if they did that.
Boz

Rollercoasters4Life wrote: /\ Just no, please hell no! That would be the worst thing ever and would get nobody even caring about it. Lets be honest who would really look at a screen while your whizzing around the track? It would be a waste and totally pointless. Here's hoping it will be something to do with the track and not tacked on effects that make it a World's First.
No need to get so upset about it, i did say it was just a side idea.
You'll notice at the beggining of my post, i stated i DO think it will be some form of indoor trick track.
I merely put the idea out there, and i also stated that it probably wouldn't work due to the speed you'd be going past them.
CoasterNewb wrote: @boz ahh okay. I did mean a midway launch as the worlds first., I'm new to all this so I didn't notice the sharpness of the vertical part. And the 3d idea sounds awful to me, 3d in a cinema is bad enough at doing nothing. I would truly be disappointed if they did that.
no worries we were all new at one time, so there's no need to apologise. most of will do our best to explain without being condescending, which i hope i achieved :)
Last edited by Boz on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rollercoasters4Life

Boz wrote:
Rollercoasters4Life wrote: /\ Just no, please hell no! That would be the worst thing ever and would get nobody even caring about it. Lets be honest who would really look at a screen while your whizzing around the track? It would be a waste and totally pointless. Here's hoping it will be something to do with the track and not tacked on effects that make it a World's First.
No need to get so upset about it, i did say it was just a side idea.
You'll notice at the beggining of my post, i stated i DO think it will be some form of indoor trick track.
I merely put the idea out there, and i also stated that it probably wouldn't work due to the speed you'd be going past them.
Sorry did I miss the point as to where I got upset about it? All I was saying was that I strongly disagree with it and gave reasons as to why. I never said that you didn't say it was just a side idea, I was once again, just saying that it would be silly to put it on a ride in the way you have suggested.
Boz

Rollercoasters4Life wrote: Sorry did I miss the point as to where I got upset about it? All I was saying was that I strongly disagree with it and gave reasons as to why. I never said that you didn't say it was just a side idea, I was once again, just saying that it would be silly to put it on a ride in the way you have suggested.
apologies, but your post sounded like you were having a dig at me
Bubbaride

Right I had this idea for the worlds fist but I'm not sure if its piratical... but say like the cars were on a pivot, so they could tilt form side to side or forward and backwards or both? I'm not sure if this would add anything to the ride it was just an idea i had
CoasterNewb

Bubbaride wrote: Right I had this idea for the worlds fist but I'm not sure if its piratical... but say like the cars were on a pivot, so they could tilt form side to side or forward and backwards or both? I'm not sure if this would add anything to the ride it was just an idea i had
.                                                                    Is this not just a 4D coaster? If so, moving seats have been done on a roller coaster before: X² at six flag magic mountain, Inferno at terra mitica(?) , green lantern first flight also at magic mountain.
Bubbaride

I meant something like this... sorry its rubbish, the red things were meant to be wheels by the way
The Terminator

Nice picture! That would need to be one strong pivot to take the forces of this ride, not to say it couldnt be done though.
I WILL be back