The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
Evostance

youarecorrectsir wrote: You know, if the previous record for inversions was 10, I always wondered why they went for 14. Not 11, not 12, not 13... but 14.

Do you think it could be a little nod toward th13teen? A progression if you will?

Coincidence? Or another crafty little detail?
14 is harder to break than 11?  They probably also decided that they were simply going to use X space and fill it with as many inversions as they could.  14 is the most they could use so that's what they went with
Alex

The reason is that a park in China is building a 13 inversion coaster so if they built one with 11 they wouldn't have broken the record for long
mattallennet

youarecorrectsir wrote: You know, if the previous record for inversions was 10, I always wondered why they went for 14. Not 11, not 12, not 13... but 14.

Do you think it could be a little nod toward th13teen? A progression if you will?

Coincidence? Or another crafty little detail?
A few months ago, I thought of the development process, and imagined the meeting:

"Right guys, lets go for the inversion record, 2 more than that Chinese one, it will have 13 inversions and it will be called.... Oh. Right. Lets do 14 then."
SwEDEN

Do you think we will be getting swirls on the entrance structure to match the queline kiosk?

Also, hate to sound negative here, but I really don't like the sign for the shop, hope alton do something about it by adding extras like what was done to the entrance gate!
Last edited by SwEDEN on Fri May 17, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveBear

Well i looked at the No Limit recreation and also a few of the real POV and i worked out the time of the ride minus the Lift Sections and the Real POV is a average of 23 seconds longer, this means the No Limits Train either moves faster along the track or the track is maybe a bit smaller than the Real Ride.

Of note is the Lift Times are much longer on the Real POV compared to the No Limits and infact the ride is like near 30 seconds longer than the expected 165 seconds.....

So i think this would rule out any time for both any stationary pre show indoors and also any possible reverse free fall drops.

I am still thinking their is more to the Marmaliser than just the props on the Legs, and at very least we can expect to be Flashed by Flasher, Gassed by the Giggler, and maybe the Screens on the 2nd Lift Hill are to do with the Hypnotiser and then its just what form of interaction the Tickler and Inoculator will have.... as i still think the Trains look a bit too different to other Euro Fighters for a Reason. :roll:
pii

I'm a bit of a lurker on these forums, but I'll make a rare post :P

It's only 6 days until The Smiler opens so speculation is pretty futile but its still fun xD
I think it's highly likely that there is something different about this ride, I would find it hard to believe there wouldn't be, after all it's John Wardley's final coaster and it's been hinted at multiple times. I don't think, however, that the press and reporters who have ridden on it have experienced it. It could just be vain hope because I'm a little bit disheartened by people's reactions when they leave the ride. I was expecting the kind of "mindblownthatwassoawesomeiwanttodoitagain" effect...

I agree that there'll probably be digital mapping, 3D stuff, etc. at the start of the ride and TV screens and perhaps more marmalization before and on the vertical hill. I'm also not convinced there will be much at the end of the ride seeing as they would want to get the trains back to the start, unless there was some sort of show/experience when you get off, providing you don't get off and on at the same place :/

I did bring up the point of the CCTV camera theme when I last posted here, which was agessss ago, and from the video competition for the Smiler and from the emotion cams they are using in promotion, I'm guessing they'll be something along that vein. I just hope it works well though because I'd hate to be disappointed by technology.
I also think that, yes, they will have marmalizer themes in the queuing section and, maybe a sort of pre-show/initiation part way through the queuing (as in Tower of Terror). But I can't help but see it a little like entertainment and a distraction from queuing.

Whatever happens, I think personally I want to wait until I ride it myself to find out what it is. Someone told me what happens on TH13TEEN before I went on it and I really regretted knowing ): Hope it lives up to expectations !
Danny

One thing I don't understand is that the innoculator is the 4th leg you go under so don't understand why it's stage one in the queue but anyway this is my idea for the queue:
Innoculator: As you walk through the arch you are sprayed with a mist
Giggler: smoke as you walk through the plastic flap things by the indoor entrance :)
Tickler: two tickler brushes attached to the floor standing up vertically and you have to walk in between them so they brush you, or one spinning and you walk under it maybe
The hypnotiser will be a section of queue with illusions all over the walls
The flasher: strobe light in the indoor queue

All of these I believe will be inside the queue apart from the innoculator obviously :)
Altontowersbarlow

Can anyone get a zoomed in view of the queline sign on the construction forum that way we can see if it warns you of strobes therefore proving strobes if it does :D
DaveBear

I think that could be the case, i would still not rule out the effects while on Ride....

A wile ago on youtube while talking about the so called Washing Machine Element, i received a message of someone who said the following.
Spoiler
Hello yes there is no Washing Machine Effect, the only thing indoors at the start of the ride is the Heartline Roll before the first lift hill. The area will be in darkness with ambient lighting and strobes nothing more. The Smiler does however have a set of Seven themed Elements and these  are all set to Marmalise the Riders both on and off the ride.

The first element and main is the track and its 14 Inversions, this is the First Worlds First.

The next Five are to do with the Marmaliser and its Legs and each will manipulate the riders to distract them as they go by.

The Innoculator - This will be Large Syringes, and the riders will get sprayed with Water.

The Flasher - This will be a set of lights that will flash a number of times as you go past.

The Giggler - This is a set of Gas tanks and the riders will be sprayed with Smoke as they go past.

The Tickler - This is a giant brush like what they have on Car Washes and there are smaller ones under the seats that will tickle your legs on more than few occasions.

The Hypnotiser - This is represented by Swirly Pieces of Plastic on but the actual effect will be created just as the riders are about to climb the vertical lift hill.

And there is also another or set of other events that are being kept secret that are not actually part of the actual ride at all and is a Worlds First.
Again who knows not long to find out and i did think the Euro Fighter Trains look different to others, and also recently noticed what appeared to be electrical junction boxes at the back of the seats.
Last edited by DaveBear on Fri May 17, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bealyboy

Matimi:
Spoiler
The Smiler App is the world’s firstto promote a rollercoaster with elements specifically designed to be used within the theme park, enhancing the user’s experience – blending gameplay, competitions and location-based augmented reality in a completely new package for theme parks.
Last edited by bealyboy on Sat May 18, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMILE.ALWAYS
clayj

I don't know if its been mentioned as i've given up trying to catch up on the board as i've been away from TTF for 3 days but I had a thought about the 3d projection...

Would it be feasible for the 3d mapping projection to be used just as you leave the station before you bank too the left ? Basically, we know that there is a smoke screen as the train leaves the station. So once the train goes through the smoke, projected onto the wall infront (and covering the track) makes the 1st time, unaware riders, think the train is entering straight track to lift hill (or something similar) but as we all know the train banks left etc ??
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
Owen

I'm expecting lots of elements in the station as on the notice board it reads
No eating/drinking in the CORRECTION BUILDING or on the ride
mattallennet

Thrillmad wrote: I'm expecting lots of elements in the station as on the notice board it reads
Screens and projections = fine
Live Actors = unlikely, but not ok. Half my family won't queue
lewis97
Admin
Admin

If there were live actors doesn't it normally state it on the board, in a very clear way? Alongside the rules like, 'don't touch the live actors, and they won't touch you'.
Owen

mattallennet wrote:
Thrillmad wrote: I'm expecting lots of elements in the station as on the notice board it reads
Screens and projections = fine
Live Actors = unlikely, but not ok. Half my family won't queue
Who said anything about actors  :-s
tyrex

Quick question on the Marmaliser - with all the yellow hydraulics on the arms and the screen apparently being held on free hanging cables - is there a possibility that the entire structure can move - War of the Worlds style - bringing each of the individual elements closer to the trains at relevant points in the ride?

Sorry if this is already obvious, or someone has already speculated - I'm a bit of a lurker and 150 pages of speculation is a bit difficult to check for potential ideas!  ;)
Danny

I believe the middle of the structure is somehow stuck into the ground, but if not, it's still a dead giveaway the entire structure won't move. The hinges and cables are just theming to suggest the entire structure could move, but it most certainly won't :)
JaykeAT

The planing application stated the structure would not move-although this may change-who knows?
tyrex

Danny wrote: I believe the middle of the structure is somehow stuck into the ground, but if not, it's still a dead giveaway the entire structure won't move. The hinges and cables are just theming to suggest the entire structure could move, but it most certainly won't :)
Fair enough, thanks for clarifying.

I can see the feet are secured, but couldn't tell with the screen. So if the screen was somehow free-floating, the hydraulics in the legs could have been used to adapt the shape and move theming elements around. Would definitely create a menacing theming element.

Pure speculation though, no understanding of the build or any evidence whatsoever  :)
Owen

Me no wanna go smiler if there actors on it  :(