The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
arsenalfan-1

The correction block is quite an interesting thing because I don't think there will be actors (Saw Alive style) and I think there will be more than a few strobes.
It maybe like 5 rooms that the queue goes through each with one of the effects we see on the marmaliser. But only time will tell. :moj
Thanks Lewis97
RubyGaga

Thrillmad wrote: Me no wanna go smiler if there actors on it  :(
I know this feel. When the lift doors opened on Sub Terra I was right next to the door, and I jumped onto 5-8 people, and then the floor, because of an actor who snook up on me.
Traumatic.
:sadblink:

Image ImageImageImage
nemesisrocks!

Don't shoot me down here but maybe the secret element could be an effect for the dark room because that haven't put the bottom part of the walls on yet? This has got to mean they have to add something maybe? I dunno..
Reckless And Relentless - Asking Alexandria
RubyGaga

nemesisrocks! wrote: Don't shoot me down here but maybe the secret element could be an effect for the dark room because that haven't put the bottom part of the walls on yet? This has got to mean they have to add something maybe? I dunno..
Well, I think you could class the indoor section as a 'secret', or a 'surprise' to the general public, as they think that theyll be lifted straight up onto the first lift. This also explains why Towers tried to keep the heartline section a secret.

Image ImageImageImage
fabiasimon

The smiler advert link for those who have yet to see it.....
KevBales

Alton Towers adverts are very good at giving away hints and secrets for their new rides... so having seen the ad we can see effects during the first inversion, purple mist from the giggler (not sure about this one!) and the riders face shown on the big screen. So do we think this is everything we now know about the ride?? I think it would be cool to show people smiling as they go round! Would fit with the idea that there are cameras everywhere watching you!
"If they open the vault they're meddling with things they don't understand... they should just leave the vault alone..."
DaveBear

Nice Advert....

Does imply WORLDS FIRST 14 LOOP ROLLER COASTER

But i think they are pushing this in our faces too much, and thus maybe giving us a Red Herring and trying to get us to think that simply all this ride will offer is just that 14 loops...

I think there will be much more to it than that, but i am not setting my self up for any disappointment because even if it turns out that the SW Element Name as been used merely same as Nemesis was in that Nemesis was Europe's First Inverted Roller Coaster and not the Worlds First, every ride since has had a Worlds First and have been Technical Firsts and Masterpieces, if they go back to passing a World Record that will be beaten as the SW then so be it.

Because we are still left with a intense Roller Coaster, and get the UK to experience the kind of Thrills that we just dont usually get in the UK, as i said before i am a Huge fan of the Hulk and Kraken and bare at its bare bones (the track) the Smiler has combined the best inversions of both those rides and even has same number of inversions as both combined but in a smaller area. 

This alone makes the Smiler a Epic Ride.

And i think the Theme and Build up they will use before you get onto the ride will add to the experience just as it does with Sub Tera, take away Sub Tera Theme and its interactive 4D Elements even though minor and all you had was a plain Drop Tower Ride.

Going back to the Advert the start of the ride as shown in Advert does have that Space Mountain Look to it, is this purely for Advertising? Or will the indoor section before the Lift Hill actually be similar?
DaveBear

Yeah i agree and while this may be speculation on my part, i do think that the Advert and Name and Theme give us more of a clue to whats going on.

First about the Screen in the Middle, maybe it will show your faces but maybe not, as you have to remember their is going to be 16 riders at a time and i would assume that there will be more than 2 trains on the track at any one time and so showing every ones faces would take a lot of time up on that Marmaliser Screen, which i think will be just showing us what we all ready seen in the Screen Testings inc a brief visual clue to the Marmaliser Elements, purely for those who are waiting to ride the ride can view or to tempt people going past to ride.

Now yes it seems to show pink mist/gas that gets sprayed and you see it enter that riders nose and they start to Smile, now in the game we see it being yellow and then the riders on the train having smiler logo appear near them to indicate it made them Smile.

And i think this is the whole purpose of the Ride, and its not about the actual Track as if they made the Smiler more intense say with higher drops, faster launches and more speed, then yes it would make a Thrilling ride but one that would throw the Riders around at High G's and while this Thrill makes some Smile for others it would be a Scary Ride, everyone is different if you look at the expressions of every POV facing that people have been on. Some love the thrill some dont but at the end of all Thrill Rides all Riders will be filled with Adrenaline Overdose and for some they get butterflies and shakes and for others Euphoria.

I still think this ride will throw a few things into the mix that will distract riders from the actual Track and Ride in ways that will actually make them laugh and giggle and smile, things that will interact with them.

Now while just speculation lets say the Giggler does spray you with a colored smoke and mist, thats been done before but what if they added a Smell.....   This really can then add a lot to the ride and depending what the smell is it can make riders go "what the hell was that" and it will distract your mind.

Anyone who has been on say Stitch's Great Escape! would have experienced such a thing, at one part Stitch burbs and the room is sprayed with a Gas that smells funny and it really makes riders go Errrrr! and makes them smile, this Ride also uses Ticklers and Vibrations and Sprays you with Water and uses 3D Projection and also Animatatronics and its the actual 4D Elements that really add to this Ride and make it much much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1amzfUR6UAY

Using such things on a Popper Thrill Roller Coaster would be a Worlds First!
Last edited by DaveBear on Mon May 20, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirsty25

Did anyone else notice the look of duelling in the advert?
DaveBear

Kirsty25 wrote: Did anyone else notice the look of duelling in the advert?
Yes seems to show that as One Train Enters the First Batwing the other Leaves the 2nd, this would put the Trains being about 12-15 seconds apart as thats how long the double Batwing takes to Complete.
MatthewR1990

DaveBear wrote:
Yes seems to show that as One Train Enters the First Batwing the other Leaves the 2nd, this would put the Trains being about 12-15 seconds apart as thats how long the double Batwing takes to Complete.
I think you are taking the advert a little TOO literally. 12-15 second duelling would be impossible unless they literally threw you in the seats and pressed Go lol
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

DaveBear wrote:
That would never happen, because the next train cannot be released from the first lift until the other train is on the vertical lift. The trains may duel in the Staff. knot, with one train on the Batwing and the other on the Cobra Roll.
DaveBear

MatthewR1990 wrote:
DaveBear wrote:
I think you are taking the advert a little TOO literally. 12-15 second dueling would be impossible unless they literally threw you in the seats and pressed Go lol
Yeah i totally agree, i was not saying thats the time they would be dueling this is just how the Advert Shows, and the actual time is about 15 seconds gap, and it would take longer than that to load the Trains.

Just as the Vertical Lift looks fast as if its got some other kind of propulsion than the standard Chain Lift but i doubt thats the case so we cant read into everything the advert shows.

But saying that maybe there is nothing stopping them using the Lift Hill to synch the trains to Duel?
Benji

Is it just me who is sad that we haven't got the 'clanking' of the lift hills? I know they pretty much had to put the fins in to quieten it down but for me that is one of the greatest anticipation builders of a rollercoaster. I know it's nit picky but I will miss that fact we haven't got the lift hill noise  :(

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
C0RR3CTED1

Just seen that video of the express reporter riding the smiler, jesus he looks terrified! anyway.. will there actually be that long gaps before starting again once out the first tunnel and just before the vertical lift hill like in the video? Certainly builds suspense and anxiety!!  :shock:
DaveBear

I would assume that they can very the time of the ride via the Lift Hills.

You see the Specs say the Ride is 165 Seconds or 2Min 45 seconds the no Limits Re Creation gave us a time that was 130 seconds or so, this fuel speculation of the ride having some extra part of show, when really the creation may have some errors and not be accurate to the actual speed of the Train or the Lift Hills.

Most Real POV seem to give us a time of about 190 seconds but then saying that a lot of the delays are on the lift hills.

There is no reason as to that when running smoothly the ride time will be 165 seconds but it can be longer, and maybe this could be as they can control the lift hills to allow for Trains to Duel on the Track.
bbooth2

This may not be relevant but I'm just watching batman begins and there's so many smiler things in the script :P

innoculator
Advocates

:p
DaveBear

Lets hope the Smiler not a let down like Bane then lol......

Gonna get flamed for this,  but i still liked the Massive Character as Portrayed in Comics than the Bane in movie who ant even my size lol.
Liam B

just bringing up a question that may have been brought up before but I have never heard it yet. does anyone know what they are going to do baggage hold wise? They may do it the th13teen /sub terra way but I dont know where that would be. they have no cages in the station anyway
Owen

I can just see it now...
'NEW 2014,GET CORRECTED...BACKWARDS...'  :lol: