The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
Sam198

Chaz wrote: I am 100% that image is of The Hulk, IoA.

Concept art is just that, it's a concept, look at old Samurai (CWoA) that had concept art from a Top Spin's restraints. And N:ST obviously, and Vortex originally.

There's loads of examples, I would like to see lap bars though!

Edit: the part of the image I am referring too is the train with the actual people in it (left), not the smaller train image obviously.
Scream @ Six Flags Magic Mountain. ;) Good guess though!

But yeah, you should never assume that concept art will provide an accurate representation of a product, be it a ride or anything else...
Benjsh

What does the name 'The Smiler' & a 40ft high Spider have in common? It's not making a whole lot of sense to me so far, despite the ride itself looking amazing.

Generally, I thought the general consensus on spiders was a negative. Not seen many people smile at the sight of a spider before.
badmart76

to be honest  i think a lot of people are taking "the spider" too literally... correct me if i'm wrong a spider has 8 legs whereas this spiderlike structure in the plans has only 6. Its a theming feature, not a spider imo.
Kenzie2012

badmart76 wrote: to be honest  i think a lot of people are taking "the spider" too literally... correct me if i'm wrong a spider has 8 legs whereas this spiderlike structure in the plans has only 6. Its a theming feature, not a spider imo.

It is what people want to call it. If you prefer Theming object, carry on.
We did try calling it Themeing object B when the plans first came out, but it didn't stick because too many people find it easier to say Spider..... The fact it only has 6 legs is neither here nor there.

Yellow paint with be a terrific contrast in the middle of Xsector compared to anything else. It will look sticking.... In black however it will look like a beast and truly menacing. It should be interesting to see what they go for and how it works.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Ripsaw Raver

i personaly beleive that the theme that TMOJ want us all to be advocates and there for must be corrected to fit the style so to speak works wonderful and fits in with parts of blivvys vids, i Believe that The Smiler will take us through Marmalisation indoors with alot of Smileys being shown as to implant the image so to speak, the following layout will then "destroy" whats left of our resilient mind set along with the central machine hitting us with air, water ect as part of the Sanctuarys sensory overload.

I see the TMOJ headquarters with the Smiler a project, somthing that they want us to come to, somthing that we shouldnt be afraid of and should accept with no issue, however the contrast of this metal beast is the everlasting reminder that TMOJ are in control and that if we do not conform, unspeakable things lie in wait.

That to me is how it fits
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Roodlesnouter

badmart76 wrote: to be honest  i think a lot of people are taking "the spider" too literally... correct me if i'm wrong a spider has 8 legs whereas this spiderlike structure in the plans has only 6. Its a theming feature, not a spider imo.
Still doesn't fit in my eyes, time (a long time) will tell. Not saying I don't like it just struggling to piece it together.
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Evostance

I get this feeling that this worlds first business is going to be something such
"The Worlds First Physcoaster"....
Kenzie2012

Nope.... Thirteen was marketed as a "Physcoaster".

They've played that card already.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
sw7nutter

icecream88 wrote: So what do people think of the trains that feature in the latest marketing photo?
imo they look like 2 oblivion trains hooked together (obvs with only 4 per row)
because it is 2 oblivion cars hooked together. Its just a marketing photo and i don't think they have access to the real cars yet so they put that together.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I'm pleased that they have confirmed a delay. At least we know they will be opening a fully completed ride! With regards to the rest of X-Sector, I assume that will be closed until they've removed all the heavy machinery, or have got to a stage where they can cordon off a construction site again.
sw7nutter

lewis97 wrote: I'm pleased that they have confirmed a delay. At least we know they will be opening a fully completed ride! With regards to the rest of X-Sector, I assume that will be closed until they've removed all the heavy machinery, or have got to a stage where they can cordon off a construction site again.
What would be the point if the x sector is closed. In my opinion oblivion is the best ride there and with out Alton Towers just wouldn't be the same. I'm sure they will find a way to keep it open or as much as possible.
Its like Thorpe park with out stealth. Its just not worth the journey.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

sw7nutter wrote:
lewis97 wrote: I'm pleased that they have confirmed a delay. At least we know they will be opening a fully completed ride! With regards to the rest of X-Sector, I assume that will be closed until they've removed all the heavy machinery, or have got to a stage where they can cordon off a construction site again.
What would be the point if the x sector is closed. In my opinion oblivion is the best ride there and with out Alton Towers just wouldn't be the same. I'm sure they will find a way to keep it open or as much as possible.
If they are in the situation where it isn't possible to open X-Sector they will have no choice, but I'm sure they will try to avoid this at all costs. However, at the end of the day, they have to prioritise a new attraction which will already be opening 2 months after the date that was originally said.
sw7nutter

lewis97 wrote:
sw7nutter wrote:
If they are in the situation where it isn't possible to open X-Sector they will have no choice, but I'm sure they will try to avoid this at all costs. However, at the end of the day, they have to prioritise a new attraction which will already be opening 2 months after the date that was originally said.
Knowing merlin if the x-sector was closed they would only tell you on the door that half the park is closed but i have to agree they would try to avoid it at all costs as it would spread online and they would loose a lot of money which they cant afford to loose.
Sam198

sw7nutter wrote:
lewis97 wrote:
sw7nutter wrote: What would be the point if the x sector is closed. In my opinion oblivion is the best ride there and with out Alton Towers just wouldn't be the same. I'm sure they will find a way to keep it open or as much as possible.
Knowing merlin if the x-sector was closed they would only tell you on the door that half the park is closed but i have to agree they would try to avoid it at all costs as it would spread online and they would loose a lot of money which they cant afford to loose.
Come on people, it's the temporary closure of one major coaster and two minor supporting flat rides that we're on about here. Parks have the right to close any attractions of their choice, whenever they choose... hence the 'list of available rides is subject to change prior to any given notice' disclaimer pasted all over the websites of every single one of them.

Alton Towers isn't going to lose out on profits because one little area closure. Disney do it all the time for maintenance (due to year round operation), and do you see their guests complaining?
sw7nutter

Sam198 wrote:
sw7nutter wrote:
lewis97 wrote: If they are in the situation where it isn't possible to open X-Sector they will have no choice, but I'm sure they will try to avoid this at all costs. However, at the end of the day, they have to prioritise a new attraction which will already be opening 2 months after the date that was originally said.
Come on people, it's the temporary closure of one major coaster and two minor supporting flat rides that we're on about here. Parks have the right to close any attractions of their choice, whenever they choose... hence the 'list of available rides is subject to change prior to any given notice' disclaimer pasted all over the websites of every single one of them.

Alton Towers isn't going to lose out on profits because one little area closure. Disney do it all the time for maintenance (due to year round operation), and do you see their guests complaining?
Disney gets away with it because of it has so many rides but i see your point. However when a ride with a throughput of 1900 and 2 other flat rides are closed i imagine the queues will build up quickly and if they are a first time visitor it will put them off from coming back.
CoasterCrazyChris

The park should not be praised for delaying the opening of the ride.

They should be critisized for not starting construction earlier.
rhino18

Sam198 wrote:

Concept art is just that, it's a concept, look at old Samurai (CWoA) that had concept art from a Top Spin's restraints. And N:ST obviously, and Vortex originally.

Edit: the part of the image I am referring too is the train with the actual people in it (left), not the smaller train image obviously.

But yeah, you should never assume that concept art will provide an accurate representation of a product, be it a ride or anything else...
No. It's either Medusa at SFGAdv (now known as Bizarro), or Medusa at SFDK. Scream's colour scheme is blue, yellow and red. Go and have a look on RCDB.
Hmv

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: The park should not be praised for delaying the opening of the ride.

Gerstlauer plus other contractors would have give them the timeframe for construction so not entirely the parks fault
CoasterCrazyChris

Hmv wrote:
CoasterCrazyChris wrote: The park should not be praised for delaying the opening of the ride.

Gerstlauer plus other contractors would have give them the timeframe for construction so not entirely the parks fault
True but they should have started demolishing the Black Hole tent and starting ground works towards the end of the 2011 season not waiting until April of the next year.

These works had nothing to do with the time frame Gerstlauer would of likely given them.
Sam198

rhino18 wrote:
Sam198 wrote:

No. It's either Medusa at SFGAdv (now known as Bizarro), or Medusa at SFDK. Scream's colour scheme is blue, yellow and red. Go and have a look on RCDB.
Fair point. ;)

And I don't know why I got confused, I've ridden them both. :lol: (DK's Medusa and Scream, that is)

But remember one thing, we have no idea what went wrong...

Yes, it's late... do we know why exactly? no! So give them the benefit of the doubt and be thankful that we're gonna be getting a top quality ride as opposed to an incomplete one.
Last edited by Sam198 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.