The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
CoasterCrazyChris

Blaze wrote:
Tom G wrote: I can understand some people's disappointment as after this, there is unlikely to be a major rollercoaster installed until 2016 or 2017.
That's the normal waiting period anyway.
I'm sure we'll see a major family ride on The Flume site before that though.

What is the 'normal waiting period' though anyway? OK, it was 4 years between Nemesis and Oblivion and a further 4 between Oblivion and Air but after that everything went out of the window with Rita and Thirteen. Who's to say it won't become a 3 year gap between SW's?

:)
:)
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sibic

still think it will be a Gertslauer Launch Coaster (euro fighter with 1 maybe 2 Launches) so same type different product name as it Launches.
Tom G

Blaze wrote:
Tom G wrote: I can understand some people's disappointment as after this, there is unlikely to be a major rollercoaster installed until 2016 or 2017.
That's the normal waiting period anyway.
Yes, hence why the B&M lovers get so hysterical! It could be a 15-year gap between B&Ms!
Blaze

I really want to know what happens inside the building. There's an elevation change between the station and the start of the outdoor section. Something like Saw's indoor section, with a hidden drop (and let's be cheeky and ask for another barrell roll) would be fantastic.
Craig

sibic wrote: still think it will be a Gertslauer Launch Coaster (euro fighter with 1 maybe 2 Launches) so same type different product name as it Launches.
Yup, I'm thinking the same as well, just I wouldn't like to call it based on the current information we have. 

I'm of the mindset that bigger does not always mean better.  So for me personally, I'm not fussed that it's not a B+M.  In all honesty, and I've mentioned this when discussing the Blackhole Tent before, I like to see these smaller manufacturers get a shot, they're more flexible and more eager to impress.  Although we have seen new stuff from B+M recently, I doubt we'd see much else from them in terms of boundary pushing for something unique.  Especially considering the workload they have at present and the wingrider design only coming out recently.
James

I'm glad Gerstlauer are the manufacturer.

SW6/Th13teen got a lot of stick for being an Intamin and look at what they came out with, a beautifully smooth (too smooth!) roller coaster with a very complex free fall drop mechanism. They took the risk and it paid off. I believe Alton do the manufacturers good as much as they do Alton good. Manufacturers seem more comfortable to push the boat out with Alton Towers.

Gerstlauer, while cheap, I believe will come out with a very top quality product and provide what enthusiasts have been so longing for, a thrill ride.
Javs

I could not be happier about this to be honest.  I am quietly confident that this could turn out to be Alton Towers version of Maverick.  Will it detract from Oblivion, possibly, but I believe that Blivvy is still intimidating and unique enough to stand on her own and continue to pull the crowds even with this new attraction in its shadow.  Especially with a refreshed paint job!
seanyboyuk

Im really impressed by the plans of the ride! Iam hoping them long straight bits will be some type of block brake area or even a launch. Hopefull the park will have lots of cars running to ensure a good throughput.

As for the themeing i think the park may draw up an inhouse theme or continue the x sector style.
Blaze

Looking at the eleveations, I'm pretty sure they're air hills, like on that crap red one that opened the other year in Europe at Belantis (name?).

This new ride is the same colour that Oblivion is (or was), so I'd imagine it would get a repaint.
Bote

It will certainly be interesting to see what happen with regards to a worlds first element. Will it be all tucked away and hidden inside like Th13teen. Or will we be seeing something else more like Air and Oblivion? I can't wait to see how this unfolds :D

I'm 99% sure something special will happen indoors. The question is what! I wonder if we may see some form of trick track (Ala Winjas) inside. Or maybe some form of onride preshow. The possibilities are endless!

As far as the type goes I wonder if we're going to see a Eurofighter, Gerst Launch hybrid. I'd love to see Anubis style shuttles used, as I just love the way the seats spread out of they get further back. They aren't amazing capacity, but dependant on the number of blocks I'd guess we could see at least 6 or more on the ride. If shuttles are indeed used I assume we'll see dual station loading and unloading to boost throughput like Oblivion and Saw.

I'm really hoping that vertical climb is a launch to be honest as Gerst rolling launches look amazing, though I can see why many think it could be a lift. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Eurofighters have a special lift system whereby the shuttles have to mount the chain at a certain catch point? Could that explain the long straight? A breakrun to bring the shuttle to a halt, and then hold it in perperation for the lift? This could also be used as a blocking system if the cars are meant to duel.

I'll admit, when I got the phonecall saying "it's a Eurofighter" I was livid. I couldn't understand why on Earth Towers had picked something so bog standard and common. But now having seen the plans this is looking to be so much more than that. I think we're possibly going to see the first of a kind ride from Gerstlauer.

Roll on 2013 :D
Cheese

So here I finally am at the end of discussion so far. Seeing as the previous topic was 29 pages long and was only started at about 11 o'clock this morning, I have to ask; don't you folks have anything better to do during the day? :P If anyone knows how to make a living from reading/posting on TTF, please let me know.

I was initially very disappointed about this turning out to be Gerstlauer. In fact, like Ian, I was livid. After all, it's been my biggest concern up to this point. I derive a certain amount of enjoyment from Speed and Saw, but based on my experience of the two I'm by no means a fan of Gerstlauer products, and have to admit that I'm still concerned about the potential for low throughput, splitting Gerstache and a general cheap, low-quality feel to the hardware. Also, when Takabisha reaches its lift it seems to faff like TTFers eyeing new merchandise in Towers Trading at the start of the season, so I'm hoping the lift here won't be a flow breaker.

However, the layout and groundwork have changed my all too hastily formed initial opinion. It's going to be a very 'busy' ride visually, but it looks like it should be fun and feel more complete than Saw (Saw's exterior section always feels very brief to me; for some reason I struggle to think of the interior and exterior bits as one ride). I'd imagine the rolling stock will be something new and hopefully lapbar-fitted, and the new track style is intrguing. As long as Gerstlauer build it to last and Towers look after it to keep it smooth, I'll be happy.
Nightfall

Over the last few pages there’s been a lot of discussion on if the ride looks “messy” or not. I feel there is one thing not being taken into account: half the ride is below ground level.

The design is actually very clever. With the exception of the top of the lifts (which should have a natural tree wall) all the supports are very low lying. The path from the entrance of X-Sector is on a dramatic slope so the actual area this ride is built in is in an equivalent of the Nemesis pit with the exception that the Enterprise end is open. While from the Enterprise it might look slightly messy there is going to be a very large themed item in front of most the track which should tidy things up.

In short the ride’s scale is exactly what I hoped for. On entering X-sector Oblivion will still be the dominant ride. However the multiple inversions will be very visible (but not obtrusive) from the midway and by standing on the little jetty the true scale of this ride will be revealed. Oh yes and the use of the hillside should help give this ride some excellent pacing.

The only thing I’m not fussed about is the number of inversions. Personally I find 4 to be the optimum number. Any more than that and they tend not to have the same impact. However these are 8 well paced inversions so we’ll have to see. And I’m worried about the throughput but then when am I not?  :)
[align=center]Image[/align]
Craig

VERY quickly done, but you get the idea for those who aren't sure on positioning:

That mutant cobra roll is gonna be some dominating sight in the middle of X Sector along with Blivvy's drop!
pluk

Blaze wrote:
Stern John wrote:
haydn! wrote: With that said, this ride looks pretty awesome. I'm not convinced yet it would be a launched vertical lift. Whilst there is a suitable straight stretch before it, the curve in the track up to the vertical seems a little too sharp to be taken at speed.
Some have speculated that the ride will come to a stop at the bottom of the vertical lift and then be launched to the top.
Whether this will be the case or if this would be a worlds first is unknown (to me at least)
The Zierer coaster 'Wicked' has a vertical launch, so it woulsn't be a first.
Sorry to go back a few pages, but my initial thought was if there is a visible world first on show here it would be a vertical launch.

'Wicked' does not have in any way shape or form a vertical launch. It launches on the horizontal and then there is a transition at speed to vertical position, like many many launch coasters (TTD, Stealth, etc etc)

Don't be fooled by the fins on the vertical section, they may boost it a bit but is well and truly launched by this point.

If SW7 is a vertical launch then I take that to mean stationary / very very slow on the vertical before being shot upwards. If it is that I wouldn't call it a gimmick or consider it being there for the sake of marketing, sounds to me like a unique and thrilling manoeuvre that I would love to experience. As I also mentioned on the previous topic it would work SO well next to Oblivion - worlds first vertical drop next to worlds first vertical launch.

Having said all that the extremely long straight section of track before the incline does suggest a launch at that point instead.
Total Unique Ridecount
Tom G

Vertical launch would be really cool, probably a great experience and really marketable. I would expect to see more 'bulk' around the vertical section of track representing the necessary machinery if this were the case though!
Vladimir Bobinski

Blaze wrote: We could all do worse than get to know this pov quite well over the next year:

Features a Saw-style dark ride section with inversion, then a layout pretty similar but larger layout that packs in elements and inversions, with a lift in the middle.

Still think a Gerstlaur is a retarded choice, but on current form, at least it should be a great ride.
Until we get official confirmation, my money is on the ride you have linked, a eurofigher with a launched start.

Looking at the side elevation plans it's clear there is a vertical lift half way through and sort of lift hill at the start.

Out of all the options, this one personally seems to make more sense with the plans and what has been confirmed so far.
mezza

Bit late to this, but just to say: Thanks Alton!

What a difference from when we first saw the plans for Th13teen, which, on paper, looked desperately dull, and the mood here was split between pretty downbeat, and desperately trying to look for the positives ("maybe it goes upside down on the inside bit!  Maybe it's got anamatronics!")

This time around, the reaction has been something like "WHOA!  WHAT EVEN IS THAT?  THAT LOOKS INSANE!"  It took about 4 pages of discussion before people could work out how many inversions it had, because people kept losing count, and there is the casual assumption that there may be another '2 or 3' inside the building.  Discussion of the 'unique element' revolves around whether it's a record breaking number of inversions, whether it duels with itself, whether it has a vertical launch, or whether something insane happens in the building that we haven't even thought of yet.

Exciting times!
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
addy2503

These plans look pretty awesome!
I reckon there's going to be some sort of queue-line pre-show, as otherwise that would a very long & boring indoor queue section.
Javs

Tom G wrote: Vertical launch would be really cool, probably a great experience and really marketable. I would expect to see more 'bulk' around the vertical section of track representing the necessary machinery if this were the case though!
LIM's would not need any machinery I guess, but not sure if they would work or be powerful enough on a vertical section of track. I am going with the general concensus that the straight after the loop is the launch that maybe continues into the vertical section.
JamesP

To me the radius of the curve at the base of the vertical lift looks too small for this to be taken following a launch.  It looks similar to the standard chain lift base to me: